FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
kbgator
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 2:39 pm   Permalink

Is there a picture of the mugs that made it. I never saw it, if it was posted.

Anyways on your last post picture IV sort of looks like Homer Simpson to me. But I want to say it is a monkey.

View Profile of kbgator Send a personal message to kbgator  Email kbgator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 2:56 pm   Permalink

Lovin the canibal!

Need more shelves now!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 4:14 pm   Permalink

"Is there a picture of the mugs that made it. I never saw it, if it was posted"

You go'in make me do all the work, thats cool. What a great opportunity this
contest was.

Homer Simpson. Yeah!! Who doesn't like America's favorite father. At the place I got this mug fired, people thought it was too. Just a couple of black Ms on the sides and there you go. BAck on page 13, look for the hidden link @ the bottom of the page. (Clue: Homer)

Actually a lot of the inspiration comes from one of my favorite mugs and I can't find a true Westwood version, is this mug below.

GO TIKI'S

McTiki- THANKS. "Need more shelves now!" Yes, and rooms.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-15 06:15 am   Permalink

Solomon Island paddles.

I had the idea to create my own modern Solomon paadles to go along with my Munktiki kayak. I made them to go with another item from that area

These are not the finish product, They're finished, just never just around to snapping a picture of them yet.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 8:59 pm   Permalink

strange, its a happier face and man with beard or fur collar, upside down.

:Update: I never closed up the very top of my 7 foot Moai and two weekends ago I got around to doing it. The Moai is hollow and is always going to be thinking about tiki mugs. It now has a tiki mug always on the brain or is the brain. I have a suspended PMP mug in the head of the moai with a message to my Grandma. Her nickname with Moe so the back of the moai got the name MOE and a picture of an eye under it. On the front, a three mass ship. Now this Moai is a real moai just like the other on Easter Island for what it stands for. I think in 200 years, people are going to surprize as to what they find with this one.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 6:47 pm   Permalink

It's a New Year and sorting a few of my mugs and making room for the new arrivals.

Moai tiki bowl. One of my first "Moai Trio" '04 (photo by TravelinJones) SOLD

Musical "Mean Drunk"'04

More of a cup for me "Hot Damn"'04

Tiki flasks that I did as an intro to tiki years ago.'04

One of the first "Suffering Brass"'05

The second of the first group of three. A Shag look-a-like'05
The third of the first group remains hidden and remains one of my favorites. (Above two are Steven Built)

A logo tiki from the greatest tiki film that never got produced....yet! Its a full body tiki. I have never attempted a full body tiki using only hand-built methods."Armchair Traveler"'06

Tiki from Tiki Terrace, artist unknown "Tall Boy"'o6
http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=538

Artist of inspiration Doug "SwampFire" Horne. And the monkey has his own tiki mug that can be filled. The back has two holes for straws and the hat/lid lifts off. A true work of art. Oh, and my dad thought that the monkey needed a right ear. "Minkey"'06

It was certainly a surprise because it is one of my favorite tikis. I think that it is one of Crazy Al's best(inspired by). Looks like a football team logo. I never would have done the full body and the back is a great shapes. Not sure what number carving this is for Al or if we will see one from him.
*There pics were PMed to interested viewers at the time of release, now showing to the rest of the world.'06
(the above are Steven built)

based off a Ben "Benzart" Davis carving. Love it."Big Ben"

Its an "Action Mug"- Smoke emits from the nose. Was for sale and it SOLD '07

Reddish black glaze like a hunk of iron, one the most animated tiki mug "Tiki Dogg"

A pic of the final glaze "Cannibal's Cannibal"'07
(Steven built)

Sold on Ebay "1/2 Head"'06

And there are a couple top-secret designs and one we finish with the shape of it today. Will release this new one on my Myspace page (click the homepage)tomorrow and then at a later date on Tiki Central. A stunner!!

teaKEY

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-01-02 06:03 ]

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 09:33 am   Permalink

Nice work teaKey....I'm digging on the way you and Vantiki are hand building one offs only. It seems to be allot more fun than building molds and having to traverse through repetitive motions. I may have to follow you guy's lead here, and jump back to basics...It's all about having fun right!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-02 10:10 am   Permalink

You didn't indicate which ones you sculpted and which ones your dad sculpted.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 10:21 am   Permalink

Yea, the pics above are of some different shots of previously shown mugs and mugs that were only posted on Ooga-Mooga and the Crazy Al and Cannibal glazed pics are NEW!.

Thanks Babalu
"Nice work teaKey....I'm digging on the way you and Vantiki are hand building one offs only".

Yeah building one offs only and only a few guys to be doing this. I started in 2004 and I can't really think of anyone making them before that. But the one off are sorta easier and yet harder at the same time.

Haven't tried the molded mug yet but plan to start off slowly this year. I like the idea that your molded mugs get to reach more people and therefore, these people can get more excited that they too can own one. And the creating and sculpting is all there too.
The hand-built, you can build anyway you want with all the under cuts. I like how its the original piece of art. -Its the oil painting compared to the silk-screen print. Don't need the materials to make the mold or the slip to pour or a place to fire the big lot of mugs. And there is potentially more money to be made in molded mugs but I wouldn't trade the art of making one for nothing.

You should certainly give a try to it. We always need more ceramic tiki art on Tiki Central. I say, if you are going to make a hand built, make it a bigger one.

The newest mug I helped create is a mug that in a different form generated a lot of heat at the end on 2007. Will post pics in a couple days

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-01-02 10:29 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 09:11 am   Permalink

My weekend

(my dad working on his little table making the mug by the coil process)

Around the time of the Tiki Farm contest between the times after you couldn't summit anymore designs and before they decided on a winner, I was flipping through the Book of Tiki (BOT). The idea for the Goof struck me like lightening. It was too late for the contest and wouldn't have been an original design, although it was a clever idea. I wasn't the only one to think the mug up. Other Tiki Central members posted their versions of the Goof and they were both great and different.

The Goof is more popular now than ever with two Tiki Farm versions, a print by Derek for the Bali Hai art gathering, and the attention the Goof received with multiple blogs and of course Tiki Central.

I couldn't pass up the chance to make my own Goof. Tiki Farm's version was good, but it wasn't what I originally had in mind. I wanted a Goof that had all the qualities of that ugly head like the one on top of the building, the actual Goof. (I have to find out when that Goof was placed there cause I can't recall).

Over the New Year's weekend, my dad Steven and I built the Goof mug I had envisioned. For the first two days, he made one that was massive. Sadly, he destroyed it before I could even have a glimpse at it. I was told that it was too massive and more vase like than the usually large beer stein size mugs that we are into building. This new one that was made over the last two days and is still immense by anybodies standards, but I wouldn't have it any other way. When I'm holding it in my hands, after it's finished, I am going to feel like I tore the roof off the building where the real Goof lays. My father did the sculpt of the mug, and I did the clean up and pattern in the headdress.

(A more complete version of the Goof. The roof is included)

My plans are to create a second Goof mug (making there four Goof mugs) to display side-by-side. I think it will actually have my face, but not sure which parts will be more "Goof"-like. (hold the jokes) It will be painted too. I have wanted to do a mug of my face since I saw the Gauguin mug in the Book of Tiki and the Don Beach mug.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 10:06 am   Permalink

Hey TeaKey- I love that Big Ben and the drinking monkey most! Your stuff has lots of character to it.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 6:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks Grog!

And who made what is kinda there and if not, guess.

Sam, yeah, the Big Ben is probably the best one I did and the monkey is at the moment probably the best one of the lot, and that one was my dad. That is going to be hard to beat, but I'll try. I think that my dad wants to move on to wood and probably puppets.

Puppets is his favorite area and the Goof really shows that. Has strong puppet characteristics and hopefully he will do a tiki puppet. As far as I know, there is no tiki puppets. My dad hasn't made a puppet in a lifetime but he can do puppets like he can do clay. Will still probably whip up a mug now in again.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-01-03 18:52 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 6:44 pm   Permalink

I guess I should put the best foot forward and post what the mug looks like now. A more cleaned up look. I put a quarter in there for size. I'm thinking a single color or a second for the inside (a white)

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-01-03 18:58 ]

tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 9:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-03 18:32, teaKEY wrote:
And who made what is kinda there and if not, guess.

But we gotta know who to direct our comets at.

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 08:35 am   Permalink

Its an "Action Mug"- Smoke emits from the nose. Was for sale and it SOLD

The way you are using it it looks like the smoke should be coming out the top

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation