FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Creating Tiki ╗ ╗ Other Crafts ╗ ╗ teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 12:38, teaKEY wrote:

Nothing new Going through the Fly, I found old pics (smaller now) of painted mugs
I did and only posted on Marketplace. Forgot I did one of those so it was a surprise.

Baseman inspired

Zombie Love. Would totally be the mug for this years Oasis

The green smoker I did a year or two ago. I love the look of clay before drying out.

I removed a photo, looks better that way_________________

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-07-25 13:01 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 12:57 pm   Permalink

Even now the look of the photos from that site BLOW

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 7:30 pm   Permalink

Because everything else pictured on this page has sold I decided why not my beloved FOM Gorilla mug. No longer one of the original members of the FOM, this mug could find a home with another FOM or mug collector looking for something different to set their collection apart.

Listed
HERE and is going until next Sunday around this time (9:17 mine or 6:17 yours)

Also another speacil mug going on sale tomorrow. Will post listing in the marketplace tomorrow.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 4:15 pm   Permalink

Here is the other mug that is going on the chopping block tonight. I'm thinking if it will let me, do a six day Ebay so it ends of Sunday with the other.

Some pics and some that you will only see here.

Raw

I call this glaze Bacon

A link to come tonight (about 9:00 here 6:oo there)

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 10:23 am   Permalink

Yes I do like. What effect would the kilning have on cowrie shells?

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-05 10:23, hodadhank wrote:
Yes I do like. What effect would the kilning have on cowrie shells?

Thanks Man, and your

ULTRATANG at The Light

is just craZy. How you ever got an idea to do something like that is mind stretching. THe craftsmanship is top Notch and half of tiki's with a penis look awkward but that one there is bitchin.

So your question on Shells in a kiln? It comes down to melting point. Glazes are just powders that melt with the high heat. I put watch gears under a translucent glaze before and they turned to blobs of melted metal. Best to glue on after.

I have heard on people taking BB gun pellets and placing them to melt all over.

Dirk Yates
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-07 11:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha!!

Ultratang is awesome!!! I envy ceramic craftspeople like yourself!!! Great work!
http://www.yatesstudios.com

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-10 11:59 am   Permalink

I have a new plain jane bar and wanted to dress it up a bit. Was thinking of a tapa cloth for the inside back of the shelves in the bar.

Really like the
tapa in Frankie's Tiki Room. The design is wonderful but what to paint it on. Maybe old wallpaper?

And another quick question. That nice matting that is weaved, who takes the time to do that?

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 4:11 pm   Permalink

The best thing to paint Tapa designs on would be plain Tapa!
Simply row to polynesia,find a paperMulberry tree,remove some of the bark and pound/pound/pound it with a rock flattening it while actually pounding the fibres into a big piece.....

Here's some stuff from Wikipedia:
Quote:

Fabrication

As Tonga is the country where tapa is still a part of daily life, the following description is given for that country. Although on other islands the overall process is about the same, there still might be several smaller or larger differences.

In Tonga hiapo is the name given to the paper-mulberry tree. People have bunches of them growing in a corner of their plantations. They are cut and brought home where the first task is to strip the bark from the trees. The strips are about hand wide and person long. The wood so left over is named mokofute. The bark consists of 2 layers. In the next step the outer bark is to be scraped or split off from the inner bark. This work is called ha╩╗alo. The outerbark is discarded, the innerbark, named tutu or loututu, is left over. It is first dried in the sun before being soaked.
A merry break from beating the tapa in Nuku╩╗alofa

After this, the bark is beaten on a wooden tutua anvil using wooden mallets called ike. In the beating the bark is made thinner and spread out to a width of about 25 cm. This phase of the work is called tutu (or tutua). The mallets are flat on one side and have coarse and fine grooves on the other sides. First the coarse sides are used, and towards the end of the work the flat side (t─ü-tu╩╗a). The continuous "thonk" beats of the tapa mallet is still a normal sound in the Tongan villages. If several women work together they can make a concert out of it. In that case there might be one who tukipotu, beats the end of the tutua to set the rhythm.

When the strips are thin enough, several strips are taken together and beaten together into a large sheet. Some starch from the kumala, or manioke may be rubbed on places which are unwilling to stick. This part of the work is called ╩╗opo╩╗opo, the glue is called tou and the resulting sheet of tapa is called feta╩╗aki. It then consists of two layers of strips in perpendicular direction, the upper one called lau╩╗olunga and the lower one laulalo. A knife or sharp shell named mutu is used to trim the edges, and the pieces fallen off in this process are called papanaki. When the white feta╩╗aki is smoked brown, it is called sala.

Often the women of a whole village work together on a huge sheet of tapa. A donation to the church or their chief at an important occasion. Such sheets are about 3 meters wide and 15, or 30, or sometimes even 60 meters long. The 15 meter pieces are called launima (meaning: five-sheet, because the sheet is 5 squares), and the 30 meter pieces are called lautefuhi.

or you could go to an Art Supply store and check out all their papers
a papyrus might be inexpensive for your purposes...
Good Luck Teaks!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 6:23 pm   Permalink

Hey LLTiki I went to Wiki right after I posted here. I found it to be very interesting. I always heard it was bark, but it didn't make to much sense just thinking of the rough bark I tend to think of. The pictures on some site (maybe Wikipedia )were great. A guy pulling the bark with what looks to be his his teeth. Wish I could see some real tapa. If I do use some old wallpaper from my parent's basement I was thinking to paste together strips like the real thing.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 09:20 am   Permalink

So I bought my first home this year cause the price was really good. And now I have a place to call my own. Actually I have a second place to really call my own and that is the Basement. Really nice basement too cause it is a finish one and a good size to boot.

My old tiki gathering spot was high above in the kitchen in an apartment. Yuck. Not too many things I could fit into my little one bedroom place. But I did manage to however mass an army on tiki mugs. I think I have at least 150 now. Plus a number of smaller tiki artwork in the C note range liike favorite painting.

My new bar is just starting to take some shape and will probably be able to invite some family and friends down for a drink by the end of the summer.

Probably the size of the entire previous apartment

Shot of just some of the goods

my old free school record player

This bar was already there. I really like the way it looks. in the corner on the pic you can see a very old cabinet. My parent got it and kept it in basement storage since they were my age. It came from my grandpas. I'm glad I got this free case cause just found one like it for more than $500. It had some water damage and I put a bottle of wood glue into it. I installed lights, matting, and some sand. More pics soon.

With the lights on

Now really collecting records Exotica but that is hard to do on a shoe string budget in Michigan. Anyone with extra copies of Les Baxter, send them my way please.

P.s. starting out and there are no white walls. Looks like I'm a head of the game.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 09:33 am   Permalink

Congrats on the Home purchase teaKs!
looks like you'll get that room finished lickety split!
looks like there's enough room on them walls for a
Big LLT piece!

just a suggestion....

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 10:23 am   Permalink

Thanks LLt

I saw a commercial years back and it said to a home owner the most precious metal they have is the KEY to their front door.

"looks like there's enough room on them walls for a
Big LLT piece!:)",LLT

Did you see the LLT art in there??
You have to look really close.
It is probably one of the smaller pieces you did.

Its got its own wall at the moment.

and I will buy more when I can. But the most logical step was to
buy the wall that is now hangs on instead of just renting it.

Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 4:57 pm   Permalink

That is a great space!! Wish we had houses like that around here.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-13 8:04 pm   Permalink

Congrats...look forward to your transformation.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation