FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 3:26 pm   Permalink

Last post:
I installed lights, matting, and some sand. More pics soon.

With the lights on

Anyone with extra copies of Les Baxter, send them my way please.

Here is the update:

So I visited my Grandparents and wanted to show them the finished pictures of the cabinet that was theirs at one time. (they weren't has passionate about it as I am)) They wanted to see more house pics.

Panning out

Black sand. Just like the black sand in Maui from our honeymoon

Sitting on a mound of black sand. I wanted that Munk for its volcanic like glaze.

The bottom shelf is all black sand. The idea came from my now second favorite but once first favorite
Munk Tank by the Artist Hodadhank. Got Munk?

Back to the,
Anyone with extra copies of Les Baxter, send them my way please.

I have to say that the Aloha that came from the shores of Tiki Joe's ocean was just awesome. He read my post and sent me a little care package with a CD copy of Les Baxter. Sounds like his CD exist just to pass the great vibes around the world. Get some love with his album and then pass the love on

A part of the proceeds of the CD will go to help our oceans and beaches
( http://www.surfrider.org ) and to help musicians fighting cancer
( http://www.carlwilsonfoundation.org )

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kustomtiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-30 4:15 pm   Permalink

Nicely done Teaks!

View Profile of kustomtiki Send a personal message to kustomtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 07:05 am   Permalink

Hey, did someone say blacksandz?

Lookin' sharp teaKEY!

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-31 09:47 am   Permalink

Nice.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 07:00 am   Permalink

Hey thanks for the nice words. Yeah my KUSTOM TIKI cabinet was a labor of love and what really makes it, is the BLACKSANDZ and the tiki mugs that were once filled with GROG.

What I really like about the wood cabinet with glass doors is the case feels like a boutique store cabinet and the mugs are displayed jewelry. You have the semi enclosed space with the wood with the protective feeling of the glass. That old glass is the best part cause its curved. Then the three under cabinet lights. Would only need one light had the shelves been glass but would lose the solid feel and some wood grain.

I will post some more pics of the other parts of the room this week.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-11-03 07:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-03 07:00, teaKEY wrote:
and the tiki mugs that were once filled with GROG.

GROG never touch your Teaky Mugs. GROG have GROG own mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2009-11-03 07:59 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 12:22 pm   Permalink

Great display! Watch out that your cleaning lady does not get into it!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-12 5:40 pm   Permalink

A comment from the guy that wrote the book is top honors, thanks Sven.

Older photo

Probably the size of the entire previous apartment

So I really like what Boutiki did on his basement bar and trust his actions as the be all end all of sorts. Before he laid down all that beautiful aged bamboo, he painted his walls black. I plan to do bamboo in the future (where the black is painted) but before then, I like the black paint verses what use to be there and will enjoy that for a while. Change is good or at least different.

So the indent in the room where the built-in lays all got some sort of black treatment. Full lengh blonde behind the bar and chair rail height the rest. I feel thinking about these steps over time while trying out the layout, gives a clearer idea of how you really want things. I used a laser to mark the tape lines and it came out wonderful.

and the thread title is a bar or two and here is the other women.

There is a story with everything I have but this is those Mai Kai Target bamboo bar. I came in a super heavy box and was a Christmas gift like three years ago. The greatest Christmas ever (GOT OTHER TIKI ITEMS TOO)This box sat un open all that time at my parents house. A Christmas gift just sitting there unopened for all that time. The lights too were still in their box.

The best part is that most tiki collectors have those vintage looking bar items and those FUN tiki bar items, so I can display them both cause I have the best of both worlds. OH Yeah. Forgot to tell ya that the wife put this bar together!!!

*And just got a call that Poker Night is at my house next Friday.

[ This Message was edited by: teakey 2009-11-15 15:57 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-22 10:38 am   Permalink

My teaKEY thread hit the big 50,000 glances. Thanks to all that looked it over.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:45 am   Permalink

So the bar is coming along slowly but surely. I use to always be on the look out for smaller items like small tiki statues and tiki mugs. Even if I had the room for large, I wasn't finding it anyways. Now with focusing on the bigger picture, the bar, I'm looking for good tiki lighting. Tiki Lamps aren't anything you see around here in a store and they aren't as common on Ebay. I've inquired about some from the couple of TC makers but the prices are high for my income.
Now I'm on the look out for supplies that I can use to be apart of a tiki whole. AAnd those supplies are everywhere if the time and place are right. Well looking for "tiki" that isn't even tiki like rope from a hardware store and a glass ball that could be a round vase really open up the hunt.
Just now I found even more threads on netted glass float lamps but I posted my start at
What are the hanging lights called???

I love the way it turned out. I pawed through a lot of saved up pictures of lamps to see what a finished one could look like. I think I like TikiSkips the best cause I could see how he finished the tops. And I have to say that the way he does it is very TikiSkip.

its ok if the ropes are white on this one but I want browner next time

A clear nitelight bulb through the sliver wash red globe. Even little bubbles in there a bit

My first attempt and I love it. The ropes turn dark against the lite glass. All this time of putting it off. So then you get done, your ready for your next one but thats only if you got the balls to do it. And starting a week ago I do. Will post shortly. Green ones for the next

amybean

Posted: 2010-03-18 10:04 am   Permalink

I really like that long draping net- nicely done!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 4:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the encouraging words, amybean.

So that was 50 feet of rope for the red globe and I bought 100 of a thicker rope and then thought to buy a 100 more. It gets expensive. I measured the red globe and my new pair of green globes seem to be twice as big. So twice the glass and then switched from a six string starting piont to a twelve. So I figured twice and twice but really wanted more knots too. Denser. I saw the lenght of the rope and got scared so I didn't go it the amount of knots as planned. I'm about half way through and think that I would have been ok with the same lenght rope the next time.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-23 2:53 pm   Permalink

Not bad for your first light!
Looks like you have one to two feet too much rope.
BUT it's better to have too much than too little.
What you need to do is take notes.
Write down the size of your globe.
Then write down how many runners up the side and how long they are.
Size of the ring on the bottom.
Plus the over all size when done.
When you get done you can make changes to the sizes and that will be your guide.
You can save a ton of rope this way.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 09:34 am   Permalink

Good call skip. There is way too much rope there and the rope isn't cheapo. It is and it isn't.

SOmething else that adds up is the price of cut wood boards by the foot. I want to do a HUGE painting and really did want to try making the canvas myself. Its nice to know all the steps involved from start to finish. Not that I will probably make my own paint from scratch any time soon. So the story goes that if you want a cheap canvas you have to make it yourself and that is what I just finished up.

It is going to be a 50ish period abstract. Its not tiki but I think it would still be liked by many TCers. Based off one of my favorite artist, Jack. I marked with tape a 102" by 43" on the wall but it was really too big so I cut back a foot from the top and a half on the sides.

And two weeks ago I visited the Mai Kai.
I was shocked to see it in its city surrounding.
I even got to help paint a little part it too

A tiki lamp wonderland

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-29 08:08 am   Permalink

Better late then never but just started in on a painting for my Dad. Its a 12*16 size roughly.

Going for a Van Gogh feel, we'll see.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation