FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant & Gardens, Hallandale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant & Gardens, Hallandale, FL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 8:04 pm   Permalink

That popular New Zeland Tiki was also used on one of the Matson Line menus.

Here is a rare postcard showing a wide angle view of the exterior that sold on ebay recently.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 06:31 am   Permalink

see thread http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35135&forum=2&1

DC determined that the SP mug was from SP in arlington, VA, not hallandale, FL.

[ This Message was edited by: johnny dollar 2010-01-11 05:59 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-06 10:43 am   Permalink

Wow, never seen that one! Tell your friend that a friend of yours would like to have one!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-06 2:15 pm   Permalink

Bigbro/Johnny Dollar,

I picked up one of those mugs some years ago and always wondered if it was from the South Pacific in Hallandale, FL. That mug is featured on page 88 of Tiki Quest, and Duke also surmised that the mug may have come from the South Pacific.

But, the logo on the mug does not look like the fonts or logos on any of the postcards or menus I have. The image of the mug is not on any of the paper items shown in this post either. I still wonder if this is really where it is from.

Maybe Johnny $ can ask his friend to get a little more history on the mug to solve this mini-mystery.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-06 2:18 pm   Permalink

i'll see if my friend can ask his friend!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-06 4:52 pm   Permalink

Aaah, now I dimly remember there was a discussion about that logo origin here before...I even had something to contribute I think...but now I totally forgot! Might have been in Tiki Finds, which would make it hard to find.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 09:46 am   Permalink

A HA, I solved the mug mystery and the proof was right under my nose. I kept thinking I had seen the SP logo before, then I realized it is from a matchbook in my collection.

Same logo.

The South Pacific restaurant from Arlington, Virginia. I had posted this before on the Hawaiian Village knock-off matchbook thread. Will start a thread on Locating Tiki.

DC

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 1:35 pm   Permalink

wow! amazing work DC!!!

that address is, i believe, technically "ballston" virginia, and the buildings on that block are more 1980's and 1990's vintage, so the original building is surely long gone.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 6:27 pm   Permalink

There was ANOTHER South Pacific Restaurant located in Silver Springs, Maryland.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-01-10 18:28 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 5:20 pm   Permalink

Two different South Pacific matchbooks from ebay.

This one seemed to have inspired Don May's Leilani Hut.

TTT

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 12:18 pm   Permalink

OK the South Pacific story keeps going and going. I just won this matchbook from the Sun Wah Imperial Polynesian Restaurant and Gardens on ebay. Why would I post it here, you ask?

Because it is the same location as the South Pacific! I have never heard of this transition before, must have been towards the end of the restaurant.

Cool.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 11:48 am   Permalink

The back of the Sun Wah matchbook lists another location in Boynton Beach, Fl. Wonder if that one had any Poly Pop going on? Have not heard of it before.

DC

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 6:14 pm   Permalink

Here is a dinner plate from the South Pacific (not mine unfortunately).

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 6:16 pm   Permalink

and here is the dinner menu (this one is mine).

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-05 7:52 pm   Permalink

The South Pacific in Hallandale was a 'wanna be' of the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale.
From the building to the menus and drinks.
The Keg O' Rum was there version of the Mai Kai Barrel O' Rum.
They also swapped musicians.

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation