FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant & Gardens, Hallandale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant & Gardens, Hallandale, FL (restaurant)
His Majesty O'Keefe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-20 3:16 pm   Permalink

Just found this nineteen-minute video on YouTube detailing the history of the South Pacific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw4Zt5pYgts

View Profile of His Majesty O'Keefe Send a personal message to His Majesty O'Keefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-20 5:21 pm   Permalink

WOW! Very cool. Nice to see someone post all of the photo shots that came from the in-house restaurant photographers and to hear some live show footage. I have always wondered how many of those types of old restaurant photos are sitting in vaults somewhere.

Many of the exterior images in the video were clipped from Tiki Central, but no credit was given... what?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
His Majesty O'Keefe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-21 05:03 am   Permalink

The video answers the "Sun Wah" question in that when the South Pacific closed in 1975, it reopened one year later under the Sun Wah banner and continued until the restaurant finally closed for good in 1980.

It's so strange that even though my maternal grandparents lived in Hallandale in the 1970s, I have no recollection of Sun Wah. I was far too young to recall the South Pacific--I turned four in 1975, and even though it's silly for me to think this, but I feel, I don't know, "ripped off" by not having grown up during that earlier period of South Florida history LOL (born and raised here).

It is impressive that the South Pacific managed to last as long as it did what with the Mai-Kai being so iconic and popular.

View Profile of His Majesty O'Keefe Send a personal message to His Majesty O'Keefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-21 06:46 am   Permalink

"Many of the exterior images in the video were clipped from Tiki Central, but no credit was given... what?"

Many times my info and or photos plus video footage of mine is used by TC people and they don't give me credit.
Credit was left out by mistake on the DVD of tiki but there are many other times this goes on as people tell me when it goes on.

So credit should be given?

It's good that the info is out there I guess.

The outside of this place is great but the inside was never as good as the Mai Kai it looks like from the photos.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-21 07:11 am   Permalink

Very nice. A real labor of love. Proves my saying that there must be tons of photos in the attics of ex-dance troupe members. Unfortunately, they begin to look the same after a while, and the decor is mere background.

I had hoped to find out a little more about IHILANI, wife of Kalani, the "guy from Hawaii"...

...and perhaps the "Tiki Records" label...

...but that must have been before the time of the video maker.

The last shots of the place from 1980 are sobering. Where did all the tropical foliage go?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-04-21 07:18 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-13 09:44 am   Permalink

Ihilani Silva passed May 17, 2011.
http://obits.staradvertiser.com/2011/06/19/ihilani-e-silva-miller/
Her Brother Ali'l Noa Solva was a dancer/knife dancer, and I performed with him at the Luau restaurant on 79th St in Miami, Fl.
He passed January 5, 2016.

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-13 10:10 pm   Permalink

Thank you for that info. More Polynesian Pop veterans that have gone to the Big Luau in the Sky.

http://www.last.fm/music/Paul+Page/_/Big+Luau+in+the+Sky

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation