[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge diabetes--what the f@%#*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
diabetes--what the f@%#*
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-06 6:10 pm   Permalink

It's just a good thing you're...thebaxdog! Something like this would burn a lesser man down. Seriously though Bax, I've been flirting with this disease myself for years (and I still drink and eat my fried lard extra-crispy). Speaking of that Carlin age thing, I felt blessed when I "made it" to 50. My dad dropped dead of a massive heart attack when he was 49 and felt like I was following in his footsteps. He ignored all his doctor's warnings to lose weight, quit smoking, change his diet, cut back on the booze, work less hours, etc. At his funeral my Mom saw to it his last request was fulfilled. They played Frank Sinatra's "My Way" as the closing to the service. Don't worry Bax, you're gonna be awright (I'll stake my reputation on it).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-06 8:09 pm   Permalink

Baxdog, diabetes out of the blue has got to be a bummer. Way worse than my lactose intolerance.

I stopped drinking Jan. 1, 1986 out of legitimate fear of being a horrible Mommy. When my little bird flew the coop last year I thought it might be safe to drink again.

I drank again for 4 months and the craving started to get out of hand. My behavior wasn't bad except for one wierd incident. My neighbor's cockerspaniel often escapes thru a hole in the fence. I have a fuzzy memory of chasing him thru the neighborhood one night and putting him back over the fence.

The next morning I saw where I patched up the hole in the fence with yarn. Lord, I had become the crazy drunken neighbor lady I used to fear as a child!

Anyway I went back on the wagon and got a job working with wonderful little people that is easing me thru the empty nest syndrome. It's not all roses & sunshine, but better than it could be.

[ This Message was edited by: kctiki on 2005-02-06 20:25 ]

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 06:00 am   Permalink

KC, you will of coarse teach me the art of
FENCE KNITTING
Knit one hammer two

I to think once in a while
Hey I have really grown up now and I should be able to control a drink or two now and then.
I even watched my Mom do it, and she controls herself fine.
But I know my adickhead personality OH i mean
Addictive, extremest(sp)personality
And in two years I would be back to bottles under the seat of my truck for the ride home from work. No thank you, been there over did that ! ! !
Anybody I know from my drinking days is OH so happy that I stopped.
And this Diabetes thing is a bummer, but right now the whole family is starting to think DIET and EXERCISE
Things that piss me off about it
NO or very little red meat
NO going barefoot
BUT
Walking with my wife for an hour
PRICELESS
Thanks again
The Dog

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 12:26 pm   Permalink

Holy Moly Bax!

364 blood glucose huh? Yeah, it's high. I was almost at 500 when I finally got into the doctor to find out why this "fatigue" and endless thirst wouldn't stop. Like Humu said, this will be a learning process to find out what does and does not work for you. You said that you are currently a Type 2 diabetic. Most Type 2's can control their levels with medication. I am a Type 1 (insulin dependent aka I take shots!), so hopefully you will not need to get to that point, since it's a bitch! But hey, I gotta do it if I want to live!

I will be more than happy to go over, in detail, everything that I have learned, as well as done wrong, in keeping control of my blood sugar level. Those that know me very well will know that I am quite anal about keeping a good level (I test 10+ times a day), although there is an occasional high/low that can occur. I take 2 different insulins with multiple shots taken throughout the day.

Keep in mind that the medical community is going by alot (and I mean ALOT) of old information taught in schools. For example, 99.9% of doctors will tell you to test 3 times a day. HA! 3 times a day?? Are they crazy? You eat breakfast, you drink something, you have a snack, you excercise, you sleep, you have lunch, etc., etc, all of these various times will affect your level, not to mention if you ever get angry or frustrated, that too will have an affect on your blood sugar levels. You need to test, test, test! Slowly, the medical community is coming around, but again it's s-l-o-w. The newest diabetic testing device commercials finally have a set of (girl) twins that say "we test 10 times a day". That floored me since it was the first time that it's been publicly acknowledged that you SHOULD test many times a day! Anyway, I could ramble on and on. Call me and I'll do the ramblin' on the phone for you.

As for the frustration and anger you are feeling...been there, done that. I know you can deal with it Bax. We are all here to help you with it.

Don't worry Bax, you will get through this just fine. You can still have a sweet treat now & then, you can still have your "bad foods" now & then. Just think and practice "moderation", and you'll be A-OK.

Email me direct with any and all questions you have. I'm there for you 24/7!

Love ya man!

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy 2007-07-30 01:07 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 12:47 pm   Permalink

Maybe the best Diabetes site going:

http://www.mendosa.com/

The nutrition parts are nearly perfect.

There was a recent study from somewhere that concluded that 80-87% of Type 2 Diabetics can have full glucose control if they are strict enough with nutrition, exercise, and weight control. I know that's easier said than done, but at least gives good motivation.

Best wishes.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 3:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Bax, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Try and keep your chin up. Medical advances in this disease have been pretty staggering over the past decade. Most people, with some dieting and certain precautions, end up living a normal healthy live. There is a positive aspect to this that most people tend to overlook. You now have a solid and motivating reason to start eating the right things and exercise more. In a few months, you'll probably be much healthier and, in turn, feel much better than you do now.

My aunt has had diabetes as far back as I can remember, and she has no complaints.

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 06:08 am   Permalink

UPDATE
Well, things are going quite well at the moment.
I am exercising as much as possible.
I eat about a fourth of what I was eating.
In 3 and 1/2 months I have gone from 267 to 234 and still losing.
I am donating my size forty pants to the Cub Scouts for Pup tents.
Attitude is running high.
My Wife is the biggest help ever.
My Kids are SLOWLY learning to eat better.
All in all I would not wish this on anyone, but so far all changes for the better.

Once again
Thank you one and all

The road is the same
But the pavement is new
The gas tank is full
Everyday we push through
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-02-18 9:19 pm   Permalink

If anythihg at all happens to Bax, I'm checking out of this day job called life...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-19 2:50 pm   Permalink

I have no doubt that you will find the best in any situation.

Wishing you and your family huge success.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 2:02 pm   Permalink

Bax,

Be carefully about trying to give things up all at once. It will only lead to binges. Just check your blood sugar and readjust your insulin as necesssary. Eventually you will settle into an eating habit that works for you. Btw, one bagel will spike your sugar level more than 3 candy bars. Opt for the English muffin instead.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 10:19 pm   Permalink

Don't you just hate these pesky life-changing events? I know I do. My mom was also diagnosed with the same some years ago. Her weight had been up and down, not to mention her ever-present hypertension and stress did not help. Luckily they caught it early and she is not on meds for it (but is for everything else). Meanwhile, my sister started taking her to the gym and she really did great and has lost so much and is still slowly continuing. But as mentioned before, that's just a part of it. I have to constantly stay on top of her to keep the salami and sweets out of the house. And having a supportive family can make all the difference. If my vibe from Sara is correct, she'll do whatever it takes to help her honey get more healthy and find ways to adjust. Then you'll not only be healthier yourself, but your experience will end up being a positive influence on your whole family and they'll have dad to thank for it later in life. It's a tough discovery with some hard adjustments, but you've licked some pretty big things in your life already. You've got a pretty good track record for stick-to-it-ive-ness. I believe and have faith in you, Bax. My good thoughts are sent your way.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation