FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki and Caribbean. Can they be mixed?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki and Caribbean. Can they be mixed?
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 10:01 pm   Permalink

I've always thought the Danish Modern stuff looked very Tiki. The use of richly colored wood and dramatic shapes seem to have been inspired by Polynesian elements.

My understanding is this: Tiki was just one of many themes "back in the day" ( my grandparents had an "Old Italia" themed basement bar/rec-room... complete with Danish Modern accents! ). It seems there was also a big Mid-Century Calypso thing happening too. Shrunken heads and Voodoo Zombies were cool about the same time I guess. I don't think any of these things were directly related but they may have appealled to the same people as competing interests. My theory is that once these things became thrift store chic, collectors initially picked up on the similarities thus not discerning them as being unrelated (similar to Pacific NorthWest iconography being listed "Tiki" on ebay).

....But this is just me talking out of my ass!!! ;? As it's been said, "Have fun with it." For me the history part of it is just as important as the escapism aspect. Also, as a graphic artist, the "building a solid theme" thing is part of my whole schtick! I've got some Carribean items here and there, as well as some pieces of unknown origin, but they don't stand out as such. If it works with my theme, I'll use it!

[ This Message was edited by: Freakbear on 2005-02-24 22:05 ]

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-24 22:01, FreakBear wrote:
I've always thought the Danish Modern stuff looked very Tiki. The use of richly colored wood and dramatic shapes seem to have been inspired by Polynesian elements.

[ This Message was edited by: Freakbear on 2005-02-24 22:05 ]

Lie the Bamboo Ben carving on the right in the picture below?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 3:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I too had grans with modern Dane furniture that called it the "tiki" look!

Maybe they were saying "teak"-y?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-25 15:31, aquarj wrote:
Maybe they were saying "teak"-y?
-Randy

ya beat me to it aquarj.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-25 10:00, freddiefreelance wrote:

Sort of... but Bamboo Ben's stuff is way cooler!

[ This Message was edited by: Freakbear on 2005-02-27 21:04 ]

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 7:45 pm   Permalink

Serioiusly, the Dane Mod ?

[ This Message was edited by: hau 'oli tiki on 2005-03-04 19:48 ]

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-20 9:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-25 22:40, FreakBear wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-02-25 10:00, freddiefreelance wrote:

Sort of... but Bamboo Ben's stuff is way cooler!

[ This Message was edited by: Freakbear on 2005-02-27 21:04 ]

Pure "Shag and Whitco" on this one.

I dig those guys. They rock!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-21 01:41 am   Permalink

Can they be mixed:
If your theme is seven-seas: yes.
If your theme is Hawai’i: no.

KK

http://www.kawentzmann.de

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-21 09:44 am   Permalink

My $.02
I've lived in Florida, love Jimmy Buffet, and vacation almost every year in the Carribean. I love that tropical culture, but do not consider it Tiki.
Sure there's some overspill, but I do not get a Tiki vibe in the Bahamas or Key West, nor listening to Buffet or steel drum band, or sipping a Bahama Mama, a Yellow Bird, or Margarita.

I love that stuff, but would never have it at one of my tiki parties. However, if you choose to, that's your business- it's not my place to judge.

Sure, there are mixed cultures in the original tiki of the 40's, 50's, and 60's and thus, have been "grandfathered" into the Tiki culture but expanding other aspects of those cultures into Tiki is dilution IMHO, and too much of that in a public Tiki bar would turn me off. Anyone's private Tiki bar is their personal expression and beyond my right/desire to judge.

However, a really poorly made Mai Tai is another story, altogether.

P.S. I always appreciate Big Bro Tiki keeping the history straight. Someday, the BOT may very well be the Rosetta Stone of Tikidom.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-23 07:48 am   Permalink

I didn't want to post this in marketplace, because this isn't really tiki, but for those of you pirate/caribbean tiki collectors, here is a ceramic skull pitcher that I found on ebay. (Not my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13942&item=6172656375&rd=1

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-23 8:45 pm   Permalink

My Mother inlaw just returned from the Dominican Republic with a cool little Chiki-Tiki shot-mug for me! Sure, you can find those mugs at most tourist destinations these days -- but to answer the question "...can they be mixed?", "Yes, it is physically possible for Tiki and Carribean to be mixed. It's being mixed as we speak. An authentic Tiki lounge in the Carribean is just as relevant as one in Vegas or California (or Ohio for crying-out-loud!) and such a place would likely sport some Carribean elements and flavor.

....On the other hand... The theme is the important thing. If I put everything in my personal Tiki space that everyone tried to unload on me as Tiki decor the place would look like a friggin Applebee's or T.G.I. Friday's!!! You just have to draw the line somewhere. My respect for culture, Tiki or otherwise, prevents me from merging Tiki/Poly-Pop with a Carribean theme. I also plan to create a Haitian-themed room someday, devoted entirely to the Haitian culture and aesthetic.

Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-26 06:19 am   Permalink

Quote:
My advice is to attempt to be a purist - but not a SNOB - whenever possible.
Stick to the Polynesian, but relax and don't be a weenie about it.

I'd say tikibars hit the nail on the head. I think of tiki as polynesian and Pacific-centric, but the truly bottom line for me is to have a drink, enjoy the music and relax!

My .02
YMMV!

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 10:33 am   Permalink

And another good debate from long ago...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CondorTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-14 12:20 pm   Permalink

I was going to post a long tirade, but others have done that for me, So, I'll keep it short. 'Tiki' should probably be essentially 'Pacifica', but that in itself signifies a 'Fusion', which is what 'Tiki' is. Plenty of other art forms work well with 'Tiki'. A Prime example is the work of 'Shag', who is deemed to be 'Tiki', but in fact is mostly 'Googie'! 'Tiki', 'Googie', '50's/60's Kitch', with a little 'Deco' thrown in for good measure are the essentials of 'Tiki'. But 'Tiki' is capable of encompassing so very much more. It's a 'Fusion' of forms and cultures. It's all good! 'Tiki' to me represents 'Good friends, good times, good fun', or as the Japanese say 'KamPai time'. I have a good laugh at 'Purists' who use 'Chain Saws and Routers' to create their 'Pure' art! Personally, I enjoy Drawing and Carving images that are a combination of 'Tiki', 'Moai' and 'Roa'. They will continue to have 'Bug Eyes' and 'Chicklet teeth' because that makes me smile, unlike some of the Dark Brooding 'Demonic' imagery I've seen, that passes itself off as 'Tiki'. 'Tiki' IS a 'Fusion'. Always was, always will be. So have fun with it! It's all good!

View Profile of CondorTiki Send a personal message to CondorTiki  Email CondorTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-14 12:46 pm   Permalink

Aside from all the great Caribbean rum, which is essential for any good Tiki bar, Tiki and Caribb should never, never, be mixed period. The obvious solution for anyone with this dilemma is to carefully separate the two (being very careful not to let them touch), clear out another space in their basement and start building the "Caribbean Room". Tiki Bar and Caribbean Bar can share the basement but may not have an adjoining wall. Best to check with your local building code before you start.

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation