FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Pub Tiki mugs...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Pub Tiki mugs...
coconut pete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-06 09:17 am   Permalink

Does anyone know how many different Pub Tiki mugs there were?

View Profile of coconut pete Send a personal message to coconut pete  Email coconut pete     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tomanikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-06 09:41 am   Permalink

Is 'Pub' a brand or do you mean different mugs from different pubs?

View Profile of tomanikitiki Send a personal message to tomanikitiki  Email tomanikitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-06 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-06 09:41, tomanikitiki wrote:
Is 'Pub' a brand or do you mean different mugs from different pubs?

I believe they want to know how many different mugs was used by the now defunct bar named "Pub Tiki" in Philadelphia.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-06 1:55 pm   Permalink

Just so everyone can scoff, the former location of Pub Tiki is now a Cosi and a chi=chi clothing store for rich old women.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 05:11 am   Permalink

I'm not aware of how many different mugs Pub Tiki used but below is a pic of one of their mugs in my collection that remains one of my all-time favorites...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tomanikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-07 07:08 am   Permalink

What does the 1 and 1/2 (?) refer to? Hopefully not the amount of free parking mentioned on the matchbook.

View Profile of tomanikitiki Send a personal message to tomanikitiki  Email tomanikitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 09:05 am   Permalink

Sadly, I think the 1 1/2 does refer to the free parking situation - I remember hearing other theories of what it could mean but that seems the most obvious...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Erika
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 10:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-07 09:05, johntiki wrote:
Sadly, I think the 1 1/2 does refer to the free parking situation - I remember hearing other theories . . . .

At The Pub restaurant in Pennsauken, N.J.---a surviving non-tiki-themed relative of Pub Tiki---there's a "1 1/2" in the logo design on their current drink glasses (clear glass one-pint glasses). The restaurant has its own big parking lot with no time limit, so I'm pretty sure the 1 1/2 refers to the generous liquor content of their mixed drinks. (Though I guess the meaning could have changed over time or space [crowded Center City Philly vs. more roomy Pennsauken].)

View Profile of Erika Send a personal message to Erika      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 12:24 pm   Permalink

I have heard fromo old Philadelphians that it was 1 1/2 times the liquor. Well, at least one, anyway.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 12:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-07 10:05, Erika wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-02-07 09:05, johntiki wrote:
Sadly, I think the 1 1/2 does refer to the free parking situation - I remember hearing other theories . . . .

At The Pub restaurant in Pennsauken, N.J.---a surviving non-tiki-themed relative of Pub Tiki---there's a "1 1/2" in the logo design on their current drink glasses (clear glass one-pint glasses). The restaurant has its own big parking lot with no time limit, so I'm pretty sure the 1 1/2 refers to the generous liquor content of their mixed drinks. (Though I guess the meaning could have changed over time or space [crowded Center City Philly vs. more roomy Pennsauken].)

look at the photo of johntiki's mug. he has a matchbook that says "1 1/2 hours free parking." the same matchbook is in tikiquest pg 130.

[ This Message was edited by: the drunken hat on 2005-02-07 12:57 ]

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tomanikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-07 2:07 pm   Permalink

There's no mention of the 1 and 1/2 on their website, but that's not too surprising I guess.

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 08:16 am   Permalink

May not be a mug...but check this out. Up on Ebay now is the Pub Tiki Menu! I've never seen one before so I quickly added the pics to my Shutterfly account - Tiki Wants folder...I have the feeling the price is gonna skyrocket!

I'll know you'll enjoy adding this one to your collection Kohalacharms!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1437&item=6515629235&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 12:16 pm   Permalink

It is interesting to note that the artwork around the upper edge seems to be the same than on the "Hawaiian" menu on page 157 of the BOT.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 11:56 am   Permalink

Just added this to the collection - Nice, very unpolitically-correct 1-page ad from the mid-1950s for Pub Tiki by comic artist Jack Davis. You may recognize his artwork from EC Comics, Mad Magazine, and many record album covers.

Again, we have the 1 1/2 hours free parking prominently advertised.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 12:10 pm   Permalink

wow, what a great piece of history sabu!

great addition to your collection!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation