Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New Carver
New Carver
TikiTita
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-07 07:56 am   Permalink

Aloha! I recently began carving when hubby (OnoTiki) handed me a piece of wood and some tools so I would have something to do other than talk his ear off while he was working on his own tiki.

I'm addicted. It is truly scary that I cannot see fallen trees or wood anywhere without thinking tikis.

After lurking and living in awe of the great work here, I finally feel ready to share my first two tikis with everyone. I'm happy with them overall, I see the need to work on more detail, but that will come with time and confidence (I hope).

Here's my first one:

and my second:

Thanks for the opportunity to share!

TikiTita

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTita on 2005-02-07 07:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTita on 2005-02-17 00:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTita on 2005-02-17 00:49 ]

View Profile of TikiTita Send a personal message to TikiTita      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 08:23 am   Permalink

You're off to a good start

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegarz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-07 10:07 am   Permalink

I like the first Tiki...that one would look GREAT in my backyard! Good job--keep it up.

View Profile of thegarz Send a personal message to thegarz  Email thegarz Goto the website of thegarz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 10:11 am   Permalink

Very nice , I know what you mean by addicting. Keep sharing those photo's

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 10:19 am   Permalink

Great Work TikiTita!!! Thank you for sharing your work with us!!! And Welcome to Tiki Central!!!!!
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 11:45 am   Permalink

Lookin' good. Welcome to the group!

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 12:17 pm   Permalink

I agree on all acounts. Hang around here and learn to carve. Oh wait, you alredy know how, but hang around anyway. And post more pic's

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTita
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-07 8:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for advice soon!

View Profile of TikiTita Send a personal message to TikiTita      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sonofabeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 08:59 am   Permalink

Considering you have just ventured into tiki recently I would say you are headed in the right direction.Looks great.Be sure to post more.

View Profile of sonofabeach Send a personal message to sonofabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-11 01:16 am   Permalink

Those are really nice. Keep it up TikiTita.

OnoTiki

[ This Message was edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-02-11 01:17 ]

View Profile of OnoTiki Send a personal message to OnoTiki  Email OnoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-11 11:13 pm   Permalink

Nice work, T-T! Which island do you and Ono live on? My wife, son and I are headed to Maui later this year.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTita
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-12 11:36 am   Permalink

We live on Oahu, in Kaneohe. I'm sort of ashamed to say we've been here since '97 and still not made it to Maui, you'll have to tell us how it is! I've been saying for the past five years we need to go during the Maui writer's conference (I write for a local magazine and have always wanted to go), but we've just not made it. It is my goal to get us there this year, I'm pretty sure that I can write off my cost as a business expense.

I've spent all week jonesing to carve. It is amazing how much tension and stress you cast off while tap, tap, tapping. I'm so thankful that ono encouraged me to try it. And, he wasn't kidding in his thread about buying new tools. At this point I'm spending more on tools than him. I'm having to buy stuff to fit my hands (his mallots are too heavy) and doubles of certain chisels because it is hard to wait if the other is using it. In fact I've been bugging him since Tuesday to take me to the wood working store today. Got to go drag him tool shopping!

TikiTita

CHUCKO

Posted: 2005-02-14 4:29 pm   Permalink

How long does it take for palm to dry enough to carve? Is there any secrets, because I'm so anxious to start my first carving I keep cutting into a wet log.

View Profile of CHUCKO Send a personal message to CHUCKO      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTita
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-14 7:24 pm   Permalink

Chucko, I'm not sure how long it takes palm to dry! I've only carved on Mango and some unknown wood to date. I would start a new thread, the others (who all have much more experience than me) may not see it here.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation