[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: The Pink Wink
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Recipe: The Pink Wink
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 10:50 am   Permalink

Here's a drink I came up with a couple years back (I think I posted it in ye olde Yahoo! ). Valentine's Day was the inspiration, so I'm throwing it out there again.

I've made this for quite a few folks and it's been very popular (even with one sworn hater of gin). That's not a brag, just telling you that the test marketing has seen good results.

It's essentially a pink martini, the flavor is fruity, but not distinctly so (it sorta tastes like Red Vines). It's not too sweet, goes down easy, and is very strong (hence the "wink"). I made the recipe for two, each serving is technically a double (in the old days this would be a recipe for 4).

The Pink WInk

6 oz gin
2 oz dry vermouth
2 oz triple sec
2 oz coconut rum
1 tsp grenadine

Shake it all up on ice, strain into martini glasses, garnish with a cherry or something cute. Get ready for love.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 11:52 am   Permalink

i like the name!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-08 11:16 am   Permalink

the drink sounds tasty but 12 ounces of hard alcohol? is that one serving or more like six? is it served in one of those "super-sized" martini glasses?

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 7:56 pm   Permalink

"I made the recipe for two, each serving is technically a double (in the old days this would be a recipe for 4)."

So you've got yourself two 6oz drinks when done...But it cuts down perfectly fine if you're both tiny folk. If you make the whole recipe, fill the martini glasses and there may be some extra. When you special friend says "MMM-! That was good!" you can slyly say "There's a little more in the shaker..."

Just about all modern martini glasses are BIG. A standard drink (built around 1 1/2-2 oz booze) usually sits in the bottom of the glass like your bein' cheap. The Pink Wink will fill the glass and fill your special somebody with one of life's greatest emotions: The joy of a generous drink offered by a friend.

(This forum always makes me thirsty.)
(Edited by yer's truly to correct some basic math)

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt on 2005-02-08 19:58 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-10 09:50 am   Permalink

I really like the sound of that one, Woofmutt. It's a rare cocktail that combine my two favourite spirits with such aplomb.

This weekend I might have to substitute normal rum and coconut syrup for the coconut rum, but I'm sure things will work out for the best.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-10 7:49 pm   Permalink

Well I hope you do try it and are to the point in your comments. (McDonalds is considering the Pink Wink for one of their new Happy Hour Meals. Feedback from a connoisseur such as yourself would be useful.)

Regular rum may throw off the color slightly. Oh no. I guess one should avoid a gin too heavy in the juniper (not that common in most the big gins), though one of the main points of the drink is to play the aromatics and botanicals off the fruity and sweet. And it's pretty.

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-11 09:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-10 19:49, woofmutt wrote:
Well I hope you do try it and are to the point in your comments. (McDonalds is considering the Pink Wink for one of their new Happy Hour Meals. Feedback from a connoisseur such as yourself would be useful.)

Easy, tiger. Time to get the claws back in their sheaths.

I used Gordons gin (I understand that's what they use at McDonalds on the continent)and Havana Club 3 year old rum, halving the ingredients on this practice run. I just used a small amount of coconut syrup (slightly less than a teaspoonful).

I really liked it - firstly, the colour was lovely and almost glowed near lighting. Perhaps the subtle brownish tones of the rum gave it a certain depth. The taste combined the punch of a good martini with a subtle sweetness. If anything, the rum came through clearer than the gin. Paerhaps it's because it blends well with the other ingredients. A tip-top drink.

So thanks, you grumpy old sod.

Trader Woody
*edit* Just so Tiki Centralites know, this is a classic example of unrequited love. Woofmutt has made me chuckle many a time over the years and I've always a place in my heart for him, while he plainly thinks I'm a complete cock. Just right for Valentine's day, eh?

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2005-02-11 10:34 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-12 05:44 am   Permalink

Well last night I made up a couple of Pink Winks and they are great. Fantatsic taste and great colour. Reminds me of a great martini, but slightly more mellow with a great coconut taste running through it.

It's gonna be served on a regular basis from my home bar.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2005-02-13 01:55 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-14 7:19 pm   Permalink

You have no idea how happy both of yous experimentation and enjoyment of the recipehas made me. Seriously. And I think it may be the first time [deleted for peace keeping reasons].

(Also: I have no clue of that which Woody spake in regards to an unnamed and silent tension tween he and me, but I'm well known for being a first rate jerk so he's probably right. He's ALWAYS right.)

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 12:15 am   Permalink

So Woofmutt, what's your cocktail for easter?

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-14 19:19, woofmutt wrote:
he's probably right. He's ALWAYS right.)

Glad you noticed! It's quite a novelty on an internet message board. *cough*

But no, there's no silent tension. I've always loved your posts, however curmudgeonly they might be. The fact that it's not reciprocated just adds a frisson....

Trader Woody

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 7:33 pm   Permalink

This is a helluva drink. The whole idea of the perfect cocktail (IMO) is to be chock full of booze but yet smooth to the palate and gullet. This drink does it in spades. It's easy enough to make a good recipe using lots of juices and syrups but to make one using just a tsp of grenadine and all the rest being booze? Outstanding!

Pink Wink is not a bad name at all but I think if I had a commercial bar I would want to call it a Pink Panther because it is a martini and hell, Pink Panther just sounds cool!

Webtender.com has two drinks called Pink Panther but one is made with Crystal Light Kiwi and the other with Fanta grape soda so screw them! Just an idea. Whatever the name is, it's a great drink.

EDIT: Pink Wink is an very good name just ignore my ramblings...

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2005-02-16 19:41 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-17 8:04 pm   Permalink

I'm happy to hear of further happiness with the Pink Wink.

As for the name, you could call it a Pink Panther, but only if you garnish it with an extremely rare and valuable gem and serve the Mancini soundtrack on the side.

On the other hand I'd hate to take the name of a drink based around Crystal Lite or Fanta since I have a little taste. Also, as I wrote above, it's the smooth + strong that equals the "wink". Nudge-nudge.

ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-17 8:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-08 19:56, woofmutt wrote:
When you special friend says "MMM-! That was good!" you can slyly say "There's a little more in the shaker..."

Oh, haven't we all fallen for the old 'there's a little more in the shaker' trick, and woken up the next day finding ourselves woozy, laying on a ploar bear rug, clutching the giant gemstone garnish, with the Mancini record having long ended and the needle skipping?

Close enough! This is a 'I don't know what hit me' drink, in a good way. Tried your recipe this past weekend, and it's everything you said it would be! Excellent flavor, and now it's the current favorite.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 2:30 pm   Permalink

I made up a batch of these last night for six. Everyone loved them!

Great drink, great name, this will be a regular in my home.

Thank you!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation