FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Ronjo, Montauk, Long Island, NY (motel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Ronjo, Montauk, Long Island, NY (motel)
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 11:18 am   Permalink

Name:The Ronjo, Montauk, Long Island, NY
Type:motel
Street:
City:Montauk, Long Island
State:NY
Zip:
Phone:(631) 668-2112

Description:
I just found this postcard from the Ronjo the other weekend:

Has anybody been there ? Its still around :
http://www.ronjoresorts.com/

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2005-02-08 11:19 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-08 11:44 am   Permalink

Oh my god! They're barbequing the tikis!!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 5:41 pm   Permalink

Relax, it's just two female Tikis engaging in nude sunbathing, quite common in Montauk.

Or, these were put "off to the side" while the kids are out in the pool. Little Jimmy in the striped shirt has no idea what pagan obscenities are hidden by those flowering bushes!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-09 07:14 am   Permalink

That definitely looks like an old postcard. I have been to the Ronjo. Notice I said 'to' and not 'stayed'. I went into the office once to get a price on a room, and from what I saw and the impression I got from the people in the office, this place ain't all that. Montauk is a seasonal resort town filled with little motels. The Ronjo being the most festive of them, and that's not saying much. Montauk is a beach town at the very tip of Long Island, and is a nice place to visit in the summer. Usually frequented by somewhat well-to-do middle class families that either have, or have saved money during the year to have a nice vacation at one of these hotels. They're not cheap!! At the same time they're not luxurious either, just a big summer price gouge with most of the hotels being sand-trap throw backs with little retro value. They're kept in pretty decent condition and clean, but *shrug*. In fact I'm surprised the Ronjo still exists as a tiki themed place because it doesn't seem like the owner (or the patrons) really care about that. From what I can see the tikis were left over from the original owners and the current owners probably figure 'what the hell it brings people in and we can keep our prices high because we have a giant tiki outside, besides it cost too much to take all this stuff down and renovate'. This place is not like the Mai Kai in hotel form, maybe it was at one time, but not now. Don't waste your money travelling out there to check it out because you will have travelled a loooong way (it's 3 or so hours from New York City alone!) and it will be a major dissapointment. One other observation; if kids annoy you DON'T GO to Montauk. It seems like every family has ten of them!

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2005-02-09 07:39 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-09 09:45 am   Permalink

Now I remember seeing a giant RONJO roadside sign Tiki somewhere...was that on the Yahoo TC?

But will we ever REALLY find out what the idea behind those BBQ Tikis was? If they were photographed like that, so prominently in the foreground, they must have been in their proper place...or not?
And will we ever know who Ron and Jo were?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-25 10:27 am   Permalink

Found this site on Ronjo....Looks pretty tiki inside.

http://montaukvacations.com/ronjomotel.htm

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-25 10:48 pm   Permalink

Here is another article on the Ronjo Resort.

Crazy painted reclining tikis!

“At one point there were two gas-burning lanterns on either side,” Mr. Cangelosi said, referring to the alpha tiki, which has shrunken T. rex arms and the large club feet of a sphinx. The statue’s navel has been compared to a cinnamon doughnut, but an electric eye might be more on the mark.

http://www.easthamptonstar.com/dnn/Archive/Home20081218/News/RonjosTiki/tabid/7393/Default.aspx

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-27 10:34 pm   Permalink

That Tiki already was ridiculous (but cool), but now it really belongs into my "Gallery of regrettable Tiki paint jobs". And it would make another great companion in a Zippy comic. Good work on digging up that article, Vern.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-29 10:34 pm   Permalink

Here are two more postcards from the Ronjo.

One with another picture of the cool Hawaiian Tiki pool area.

And another with a crazy Tiki figure.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 12:56 am   Permalink

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Talk about in your face!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 08:39 am   Permalink

It almost looks like someone in a costume...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 10:14 am   Permalink

This must be one of the greatest naive art Tikis out there. I am surprised it has not been used in a Zippy cartoon yet!
When you look at the photo Vern posted, it looks like it ran away from a miniature golf course. It would be the perfect end-of-the-lane statue!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 8:39 pm   Permalink

I picked up some color slides taken in 1966 at the wacky world that is the Ronjo Motel.

The front of the hotel.

Two impressive Tikis at the sign.

Another odd Tiki on the grounds.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-05 9:03 pm   Permalink

I finally made got some scans and photo enhancements of the Ronjo slides I picked up courtesy of Bigbro.

Here is another shot of the hotel front

And a close up of the giant Tiki that must have escaped from a miniature golf course.

A better shot of the entrance sign Tikis, and a third Tiki shown on the right side.

A view of the back of the hotel - nice cars in the lot.

Another Tiki on the wall

An enhanced version to see the details of this one.

A corrected shot of the Tiki in the gable.

Ronjo, what a place!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-06 12:26 pm   Permalink

A few close ups from the front of the hotel.

A young lady posing for a photo shot with the big Tiki, say Cheese!

Here is the entrance fountain feature, you can pick up a few more strange Tikis.

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation