FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Making my Tiki Paradise--1 new pic added 6/05
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Making my Tiki Paradise--1 new pic added 6/05
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 9:54 pm   Permalink

WOW!! It looks great. Bigger than we expected. That's a lot of thatch.

It was nice getting to meet you. Next time bring the Mrs. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Talk to you soon.

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegarz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-23 4:58 pm   Permalink

I added two Sago palms and one King palm today...among a few Bird of Paradise plants...looks like there's a little more green now. I plan to add more as time progresses. We finished the raffia on the roof yesterday and the bar is almost ready for the ceramic tile. How does it look?
Dave

[ This Message was edited by: thegarz on 2005-02-23 16:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: thegarz on 2005-02-23 17:00 ]

View Profile of thegarz Send a personal message to thegarz  Email thegarz Goto the website of thegarz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 06:57 am   Permalink

That looks so fabulous and huge! You are ready for a proper Luau now. Looks like something right out of Hawaii. Once your landscaping grows in it will be incredible. Is that a little king palm in the last picture? More, more! They look so great when they get big. And those giant birds of paradise? will get huge in a couple of years also. Great start.

For your wood posts, they would look great stained or painted dark. You know there's a simple way to give rectangular posts a real nice tiki look without weakening them. You can take a router with a sign bit, one of those that makes a 'v' groove -and it is easy to carve in geometric patterns like concentric rectangles and stuff. It gives a real nice hand carved look and looks real good painted. Just a suggestion.

Your going to have a great summer back there, thanks for showing us!
Paul

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 07:05 am   Permalink

More info on the "Router" technique - please.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 1:24 pm   Permalink

Okay, here's a couple of quick pictures to give the idea for the router method. The first post on the left is a salvaged piece from some old tiki establishment I bought from Oceanic Arts about 10 years ago. The second one is my attempt at something similar using a router, just freehand. I did this one a few years ago just to see if I could do it; someday I'll use the technique on a project. The router bit is shown at the right, a 'v' point sign bit. You can do these designs freehand but you have to take your time or it will get away from you. My first attempt there could have been better. I really like the one from Oceanic Arts - I think it has a good look.
Cheers,
Paul

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegarz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-01 2:46 pm   Permalink

Hi Paul!
Thanks for the great advice...I do plan on staining the posts a dark color and doing a similar designs like the ones in your pic. Yes, that's a baby King palm and I will add some more plus a few Queens. I have to move most of my plants because I just found out the Bird of Paradise plants won't handle our desert heat...!
I am still debating where to place the sign you made for me last year...you know, the one with the Schwinn Sting-Ray Pea Picker bike (Dave and Sandra's Tiki Hideaway). ANy suggestions?

View Profile of thegarz Send a personal message to thegarz  Email thegarz Goto the website of thegarz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 3:10 pm   Permalink

thegarz, It looks like your backyard is going to be the place tobe and be seen this summer. It's shaping up nicely.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 4:33 pm   Permalink

Oh yes I remember you and the pea picker! That turned out real nice. I hope you give it a place of honor under the thatch somewhere!
Love your place, it's going to be the neighborhood hangout I'm sure. I'll keep looking to see your progress.
Have a Mai Tai for me.
Paul

thegarz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-27 10:03 pm   Permalink

Two more pics...almost done with about 90% of the bar--now we are going to finish the spa within 4 weeks or so. We still need to stucco the front of the BBQ and wire the sound system. I put up Pariarts' sign yesterday among other things...

[ This Message was edited by: thegarz on 2005-03-27 22:07 ]

OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 10:45 pm   Permalink

We were wondering how things were going for you. It's looking good!!

Are you still doing a waterfall by the hot tub?

More pics. More close ups

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 08:59 am   Permalink

Garz --

I envy you.

One thing you might consider is to plant lots and lots of bamboo just inside the fence surrounding your property. Bamboo grows very fast, and before you know it you'll be surrounded by lush stands of bamboo -- very tropical. Won't be able to see your neighbors. A tiki paradise. You'll love it.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegarz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-28 11:18 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments and suggestions...Ona, we are picking up the tile for the spa tomorrow in El Cajon. The spa should be tiled by the end of next month and the small waterfall will be in place by then too. Satan's sin--bamboo? Oh ya! We plan to plant some around the spa area for additional privacy. We found a variety that will do well here in the desert. I will take more pics as the project progresses....

Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 1:29 pm   Permalink

Garz --

I see you are in El Centro! My friends and I just this past weekend had an overnight campout/party in the Anza-Borrego, about 17 miles west of Ocotillo on the S-2, in a place called Indian Canyon.

Next time you must join us!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegarz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-28 4:42 pm   Permalink

Absolutely!
It's a nice area this time of year...I haven't been there in a while but it's neat. I especially like the "morteros"--the holes the Indians made on the rocks to grind meal paste, etc. See any of those?

Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 4:55 pm   Permalink

"Morteros?" So that's what they're called.

Yes, have seen a few. Campsite was 5 miles down a jeep trail in Indian Canyon. Just off the trail is a very small plateau. Back of plateau is a very large boulder (and a boulder-y hill behind that) with a very old fire pit in front, and in back, where a slab fell off the rock whenever it rolled downhill hundreds or thousands of years ago, are three morteros (for grinding acorns, right?}

In front of the plateau is a view across to the other side of the canyon, across a scrubby plain and hundreds of spindly ocotillo (now in full bloom). You point your camp chairs this way, and when the stars come out and the boombox pumps out Frank Sinatra's cover of "Fly Me to the Moon," it is very much time to have a camp-made Manhattan.

I'll post in the "Tiki Events" section next time my friends and I decide to party down at this place. I did last time, but there were no Tiki Takers. Maybe next time!

Don't get on the ship! Don't get on the ship!

[ This Message was edited by: Satan's Sin on 2005-03-28 16:56 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation