FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge What in yer opinion is the superlative breakfast beer?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
What in yer opinion is the superlative breakfast beer?
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 10:47 am   Permalink

Guiness for me too! but Murphy's runs a close second. Actually, the wife says it's making me fat, so I have to sneak it. Lately, all I ever see in our fridge is married(lite) beer. but hey, I can get four or five of those for the calories of one good stout!

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 11:28 am   Permalink

Thanks Gigantilope & TikiBird!

We have access to white labs, and Y as well I believe, I'll have to give it a try.

The hibiscus is a bright flowery flavor, they should go pretty well together.

Good call on the small batch suggestion, I may harass the local club to see if anyone has lambic experience.

I'll report back when we start the process.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 12:09 pm   Permalink

McEwans! or Guinness- it's a meal in a bottle!

but if it's ever available in the US again, it would be Watney's Cream stout

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 07:18 am   Permalink

Hey Feelin' Zombified, those Scotch Ales pack a punch! Great choice. Moylan's Brewery makes one called "Kiltlifter"...it's about 8%...and it's not as pricey as the the Belgian or British Scotch Ales. Russian Imperial Stouts are another style (also Scottish in origin) that packs a whallup.

Old Rasputain is a splendid example...just watchout for the afterbreakfast surprize nap.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 12:52 pm   Permalink

Crap, hubby doesn't like lambics...so the hibiscus project may be a cerveza or something of the sort. Otherwise, he's excited about using it.

Something I'd love for breakfast, even though I've never tried it, although I AM biased:

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mahalomo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-18 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-18 07:18, Gigantalope wrote:
Hey Feelin' Zombified, those Scotch Ales pack a punch! Great choice. Moylan's Brewery makes one called "Kiltlifter"...it's about 8%...and it's not as pricey as the the Belgian or British Scotch Ales. Russian Imperial Stouts are another style (also Scottish in origin) that packs a whallup.

Old Rasputain is a splendid example...just watchout for the afterbreakfast surprize nap.

Pike's Place Brewery in Seattle also makes a good "Kilt Lifter"

The 'sputin is good stuff. But the nap is mandatory. 8.9% alcohol. mmmmm. breakfast.

View Profile of mahalomo Send a personal message to mahalomo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-18 5:02 pm   Permalink

old milwauke. $10.99 for a 30 pk. always a few left in the morning.

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 5:28 pm   Permalink

OK. Well, lookin at the mess from breakfast my awesome hubby of 16 years has left, I'd say he's having a great day! Let's see... we've got toast with goose grease, an empty bottle of Bischofshof, Steingadener Weisse Dunkel, and a Weltenburger Kloster Barock-Dunkel. Yes, he's German. Very. Yesterday's empties, standards around here: Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, Aktien-Brauerei Oktoberfest, Paulener Oktoberfest Marzen, Allgauer Brauhaus Oktoberfest and (my dad must have stopped by) an O.K. Okocim Piwo Jasne Pelne (Polish). And about 19 cases of more, foreign sounding swill in the garage. He says, Jah! Yoo nev-air knoow ven soom frainds vill be coomin by, giels? And he says he did not go to work (for the phone co) with all that beer in his belly. He went "C.S." to get a "Bass-womb roog". (that's a bathroom rug at Sears.)

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-04 17:28, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
OK. Well, lookin at the mess from breakfast my awesome hubby of 16 years has left, I'd say he's having a great day! Let's see... we've got toast with goose grease, an empty bottle of Bischofshof, Steingadener Weisse Dunkel, and a Weltenburger Kloster Barock-Dunkel. Yes, he's German. Very. Yesterday's empties, standards around here: Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, Aktien-Brauerei Oktoberfest, Paulener Oktoberfest Marzen, Allgauer Brauhaus Oktoberfest and (my dad must have stopped by) an O.K. Okocim Piwo Jasne Pelne (Polish). And about 19 cases of more, foreign sounding swill in the garage. He says, Jah! Yoo nev-air knoow ven soom frainds vill be coomin by, giels? And he says he did not go to work (for the phone co) with all that beer in his belly. He went "C.S." to get a "Bass-womb roog". (that's a bathroom rug at Sears.)

You had me at "Goose Grease"...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 6:02 pm   Permalink

Even if the goose was from Christmas? He keeps it in a big glass jar at the back of the fridge. Lasts til about mid March.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MonkeyBoy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-05 01:49 am   Permalink

Gee Whiz! You folks certainly enjoy easing into the morning! I'm not a huge beer fan, but do enjoy a good oatmeal stout. And have enjoyed a belgian lambic after, (yes, at a real job), working all night. For a truly brutal morning-after-the-night-before I've long been a red beer drinker. An ice cold pilsner with a healthy splash of tomato juice really helps to make the leap to food. Mind you, those were my younger days, before I learned to control such beastly hangovers. Hope I haven't turned the thread away from pure 'just havin' a brew in the mornin'...cheers, Timmy

[ This Message was edited by: MonkeyBoy on 2005-03-05 01:52 ]

View Profile of MonkeyBoy Send a personal message to MonkeyBoy  Email MonkeyBoy Goto the website of MonkeyBoy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-05 4:46 pm   Permalink

How do you control beastly hang overs? I had to give up drinking last May due to horrendous hang overs! I only drank at social occasions, and not a ton. I would love to indulge in a lil tiki drinky now and then, so give up your secret!

Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-06 9:52 pm   Permalink

Hau 'oli Tiki

I've heard wonder stories about boullion or Vegemite before bed. (and gatorade) I think it's the salt which is the key.

Is the goosefat a german thing? I know of a german restaurant that sels jars of salty pig fat around christmas. I think I recall some family from Norway eating goose fat in winter.

Strange stuff that.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 10:12 am   Permalink

It's german allright. He grew up over his unkles butcher shop in Nurneberg. They sold the fat from the geese in car loads, he claims. They eat it on toast and sprinkle salt and pepper on it! I have to do a goose each Christmas just for the fat. He says he hasn't heard of any one really doing the pork fat. He has a buddy, Alejandro Ray Sumpepe Realyvasquez the 3rd, that enjoys it. And it all goes great with beir! (That was hubby)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation