FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food J.Wray&Nephew's DAGGER Dark Jamaica Rum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
J.Wray&Nephew's DAGGER Dark Jamaica Rum
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-12 8:10 pm   Permalink

Just to state my orientation upfront: Being a traditional, I do not like any spiced, flavoured, or otherwise messed with fancy modern rums, and I think Bacardi, Malibu and Cpt. Morgan ruined the rum market in America. I like my rum real rummy. So I don't find many new surprises out there.

When visiting the Mai Kai last month I was priviledged to get invited into the back prep bar and was surveying their ancient Rum collection, when an old style label caught my eye, on a plastic "lightweight pack with built-in pourer" 1.75 liter bottle. It was in simple graphics and colors, yellow and green type, with a gold dagger, galleon and award coins on yellow and black background. The rum looked so dark it was almost black. I begged a taste and it was very close to my favourite, the British Demerara Old Navy, rich and thick, with a nice kick. I immediately procured a bottle for me and one for my mixology advisor Beachbum Berry.

I was happily surprised when the Beachbum expressed his delight at receiving the memento, and to hear that he had been under the impression it had been extinct. Apparently the original Zombie recipe called for it, so did other classics.

Now I am interested to find out if anyone on the West Coast has heard or seen this brand anywhere, to see if it can be had in these parts. The U.S. Wholesale importer is Carriage House Ltd., Springfield, N.J.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-12 9:56 pm   Permalink

Never seen it, never heard of it, but extremely interested.

It sounds great. I'd love to try it if I could ever find it.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 07:30 am   Permalink

I just gave them a call. It's sunday, so no one was there. I left a message, and if I don't hear from them by tuesday, will call again. They're about an hour outside of NYC, 2 hours from where I am. Maybe if things pan out, one of our cityfolk could make a run.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 08:03 am   Permalink

three dagger

Single Dagger

or neither?

[ This Message was edited by: tikimonkey on 2005-02-13 08:03 ]

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

or neither?

Neither. -These labels must be from the out of production vintage. Mine is so simple, it is almost industrial looking (together with the plastic gallon container). It certainly is not 3 Dagger 10 year old quality, but it is affordable, hearty stock, good enough for sipping.

Kern from the Mai Tai said that sometimes the distibutor has it, and sometimes not.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 12:33 pm   Permalink

Here is another reference to tikimonkey's old bottle.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 1:11 pm   Permalink

Aaaah!- The bottle pictured in the "Jean's Dream" recipe:

http://www.cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=4349
is much closer to the label I have, but not exactly the same...

So did J.Wray start producing it again? Or are sitting on old stock? Rum archeology, yesss!

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 1:42 pm   Permalink

Hey Sven,

If you click on
these bottles, you can get some great details. Let us know if you find it.
On a side note, I have never seen Appleton Punch either.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 2:15 pm   Permalink

Screw the distros, let's just go straight to the source... well, at least the bottling plant/location.

Who's up for a road trip... or air trip... or just trippin'

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 1:00 pm   Permalink

I've only been able to find their white overproof.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 1:08 pm   Permalink

So the next question is, is the overproof usable in any "polynesian inspired" drinks?

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 08:03 am   Permalink

As of today, I have tried several times unsuccessfully to contact them. IT appears they have a voicemail, but no one answering phones. Weird.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 9:50 pm   Permalink

The mystery continues...does anyone know how to contact J.Wray & Nephew?

Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-02 21:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
The mystery continues...does anyone know how to contact J.Wray & Nephew?

http://www.appletonrumus.com/contact.asp?

Or maybe try contacting Brown Forman, who own Appleton.

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

dot hog

Posted: 2005-03-03 07:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

http://www.appletonrumus.com/contact.asp

You can also go to Wray & Nephew's site:
http://www.rum.co.uk/wrayandnephewnews.htm

On the site, they mention:
"For more details on where to buy our products, contact us at info@rum.co.uk"

It's worth noting that Wray & Nephew only list the white overproof rum as their only product.

I'd like to know more about this.
Good luck.

View Profile of dot hog Send a personal message to dot hog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation