[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The Grammys 2005
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Grammys 2005
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 10:08 pm   Permalink

I was never really sure that 'Sweet Home Alabama' was to be taken literally or if Ronnie Van Zant was being somewhat ironic when he wrote the song. I'm not defending it in any way, I'm sure that there are tons of people out there that take the song at face value and revel in it. God knows...I grew up with a few people that did, but that's a whole other story.

In interviews, members of the group, specifically former drummer Artemis Pyle attest to Ronnie Van Zant's humanity and that he was not a racist at all. On the Neil Young angle, there is photo and concert footage of Ronnie Van Zant wearing a Neil Young 'Tonight's the Night' t-shirt, I guess a nod to the person he disses in the song.

Anyway...glad I missed the Gretchen Wilson performance, sounds like it was negative energy. And yeah Mrs. Pineapple, I never thought I would see the names Aerosmith & Britney Spears in the same sentence. Aerosmith was sucking since at least 1979 when they ended that first golden aged part of their career, They should have stayed on drugs! When they performed with BS at the Super Bowl that pretty much was the last nail in the coffin. Let's put it this way...do you think Aerosmith would have been performing along side of vapid pop stars like, oh I don't know... Marie Osmond in the 70s? NO F'in way! Britney is the equivalent except she shakes her ass around. Oh well...that's the world we live in.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2005-02-15 22:12 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 1:01 pm   Permalink

Hmmm, it could be that Lynyrd Skynyrd was being ironic. I was 10 when the song came out, and lyrics lost some irony when blasted froma pickup truck with a confederate flag pasted on the window (and I grew up in the NorthEast!)

I have to say when I was looking at the lyrics, I forgot all the dopey songs from middle school that I 'loved' Gimme 3 Steps pops right up there, singing along to the radio, not having a clue what the song was about!

I prefer my southern rock in the Johnny Cash / Loretta Lynn / Dolly Parton flavor!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 1:33 pm   Permalink

When I was watching Lynrd Skynrd do Sweethome Alabama I coulda sworn that Neil Young was playing guitar with them. Does their guitarist have a striking resemblence in look and pose or was that Neil? It was along day and I was "happy", so perhaps my eyes were failing me.

I did find it refreshing that this years Grammys seemed a bit more diverse and appreciative of the masters that paved the way, instead of being dominated by rap, hip hop or boy bands. I thought the opening was kinda cool.

But all this talk about rock being dead? C'mon folks,, Any "rock" band that has ever won a grammy has instantly lost all credibility in the eyes of "rockers" anyways.
What does Punk have to do with an American awards show? In a way I think rock is back where it truly belongs- In the small clubs, the underground, the indy scene. Look at bands like Queens of the Stoneage,or Stone Temple Pilots, or even Tool. Whether you like 'em or not, they all rock, and quite hard, and their droves of fans would just as soon stick a knife in you before before they would ever utter the words "rock is dead".
Rock will never die, even if you can't get todays backwards hat wearing, jeans around their knees hiphopster wannabe's to buy it. As long as there are electric guitars and garages rock will live on just fine.

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 3:24 pm   Permalink

This year the show was mercifully free of the "someone's standing on my fo-oo-oot" yowling, I mean singing "style" of the likes of Christina Aguilera, boy bands, et al.

There were actually decently clothed, non lip-synching musicians playing instruments in the opening production! By next year, we'll all forget who won what, but it was nice to see musicians with talent (Los Lonely Boys for example- they've been playing since they were small kids)get rewarded.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation