FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Joe's , Pasadena, CA (store)
Trader Joe's , Pasadena, CA (store)
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 10:22 pm   Permalink

Name:Trader Joe's
Type:store
Street:Rosemeade just above Foothill blvd.
City:Pasadena
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
A non descript Trader Joes on the outside.

But inside It contains many Polynesian themed murals above the shelves. Above the Produce section, the murals have painted cutout Moai figures placed in fron of them for a nice 3-d effect.

Nautical themed decorations are present everywhere.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigardener on 2005-02-13 22:23 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - fixed mispelling - 2005-11-01 14:51 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-14 12:41 pm   Permalink

The TJ's in my neck 'o the woods has a coupla tiki poles and is decorated in much the same way...aren't they all? I love that store, I'm waitin' for a Trader Joe's "Superstore"! Kind of a TJ's "Pavillions", so to speak.

PS don't poo-poo it, you know you love the idea.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 12:58 pm   Permalink

The other two TJ's in Pasadena have a nautical theme, but they don't take the tiki thing nearly as far.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 5:46 pm   Permalink

I think Tiki Diablo, is responsible for some of the tiki-ness of Trader Joe's in SoCal...those signs look like his work.

Our TJ's up north isn't super tiki, but the otherday the store manager had a SWEET vintage aloha shirt on! And they did have pirate cookie tins at christmas..arrrgh.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 6:45 pm   Permalink

Love it! I'm going to check it out the next time I'm down visiting the parents.

They just opened a new Trader Joe's in Santa Cruz, but with a significantly less cool surfing theme.

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 3:43 pm   Permalink

We don't have a Trader Joes' in our town so while visiting the St. Louis area we journeyed to the Chesterfield location. It is a nice store with a fine selection of more unusual products and not like your normal grocery store chains. However, no tiki, no nautical decor AT ALL! In fact the murals are all farm scenes. Egad, can't they provide a more tropical diversion for the poor landlocked midwestern customer? Now here's the topper...we picked up some nice juices and sauces etc., but when we went looking for the Rum... NONE! The manager's explanation was that the Missouri liquor board would require them to sell their own booze to the state and then buy it back to sell in the stores! So they don't even bother. If that is true, it is a great example of the state regulators putting a foot in where it isn't necessary. Couldn't they get their cut some other way? Anyway, it is a nice store but not someplace I will travel so far out of my way to visit again.

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-02-22 15:57 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 7:36 pm   Permalink

Love it! Thanks for sharing, Tiki Gardner.

I saw the tiki in the Tucson, AZ TJ and now there is one close in Pasadena.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KaptainKuku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-24 06:25 am   Permalink

I thought all Trader Joe's had a nautical theme, that was part of the whole Trader Joe's/derivative of Trader Vic's concept. I've been in many of them in SoCal, and some are not Tiki or tropical themed, merely ocean/ship themed.

Sad that the one in Missouri had a "farm" theme.

BTW, there's a really interesting book out about Trader Joe's. It's owned by a German company that owns the Aldi grocery store chain. I forget the title of the book, but you can do a Google search. I stood in the book store reading most of it, a great read for a business book.

View Profile of KaptainKuku Send a personal message to KaptainKuku      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 12:20 pm   Permalink

... a trader joes, once buried next to a gun shop on the border of placentia & fullerton (orange county, ca) was heavily tikified many years ago...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation