FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 06:15 am   Permalink

I stumbled across this "Best Make Out Spot"

"The Top Of The Tiki Head At Magic Carpet Golf

6125 E. Speedway Blvd.

STAFF PICK: It's SOOOOOOO romantic! First, sit in the cozy bench for two. Picture yourself in the south seas, say, up at the top of a giant tiki head. Then enjoy the romantic view of the lights of Speedway and the miniature golf course below. Smooch and pet to your heart's content. Then go play the back nine. "

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitucson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-11 10:06 am   Permalink

If an uncomfortable concrete perch and a bird's-eye view of a strip mall is your idea of romance...
It IS a great place for thunderstorm viewing in the summer, though. That, and it's just about the coolest piece of public art in town.

View Profile of tikitucson Send a personal message to tikitucson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 4:25 pm   Permalink

Sounds like the type of place Homer would take Marge....

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 3:38 pm   Permalink

Here's a photo collage of the Magic Carpet Tiki. You decide if it looks romantic.

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-01-16 4:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Smooch and pet to your heart's content. Then go play the back nine. "

'Play the back nine' - is that what you kids are calling it these days?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 5:31 pm   Permalink

Sweet mother of tiki! I'd swing my putter at that course anytime! Moai Gooooooood!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-31 02:33 am   Permalink

When I was there in Oct, 2003, the woman at the counter wanted to charge me the cost of a game to go out and photograph the tiki and sternly reminded me that their sculptures were copyrighted. I wonder if the folks on Easter Island know that?

I forked over a free game card and happily ascended my goal. Its a bland suburban view from the top, but how many times do you get to climb a giant tiki, much less, look out the nose and eyes of it on the way up?

They sell t-shirts, but oddly the art does not picture the tiki even though its the dominant element of the place. Its a great course, but the better-maintained side is not the one with the tiki.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 9:33 pm   Permalink

Tucson gives good tiki head.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 9:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 15:38, cheeky half wrote:
Here's a photo collage of the Magic Carpet Tiki. . . .

Cheeky Half,

Good photo collage. I understand that's how David Hockney got his start.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 9:41 pm   Permalink

David Hockney is a two bit hack that has exploited the same technique for years, and is about as fresh as The Bangles. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a frustrated photographer. =)

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 10:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-19 21:34, christiki295 wrote:
Hockney

Hackney, more like it.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-20 11:15 am   Permalink

This golf place is on Speedway (for those of you interested). If you get off the I-10 and take Speedway east quite a ways, there it is. Its not too incredibly far from the Kon Tiki

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-20 8:20 pm   Permalink

I really like Cheeky Half's montage, but here are some views I shot last year. The view looking North from the top; mountains and a t-rex seen from the top of a tiki...I can ignore the buidings:

More visual fun with the moai; in case you couldn't tell, I kinda worshipped it with film:

I do so love Tucson...this place, the Kon Tiki and the Tiki Motel. I'm planning a trip back in March; don't let them tear anything down.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-20 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 16:42, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-10-11 06:15, Swanky wrote:
Smooch and pet to your heart's content. Then go play the back nine.

'Play the back nine' - is that what you kids are calling it these days?

Bong Quote Noted.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-07 10:12 am   Permalink

Yep... when I was 16 I "made out" with my girlfriend on top of the tiki. This was back in 1987... the view from the top didn't look much better then either!

View Profile of TikiMike Send a personal message to TikiMike  Email TikiMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation