[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki VonDutch Tiki Tow Truck
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
VonDutch Tiki Tow Truck
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-17 10:34 pm   Permalink

I just picked this up tonight at walmart. just thought I would share . " free lei to customers towed over 20 miles"

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 07:38 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-02-18 07:38 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikimonster

Posted: 2005-02-18 4:34 pm   Permalink

That is really cool. Thanks for sharing. I hope my local walmart has one.

View Profile of Tikimonster Send a personal message to Tikimonster      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-19 12:10 pm   Permalink

Naturally, my Wallmart doesn't have one, nor the Toys R Us. Just mutant Batmobiles and pimped out rides w/ lotsa rims. Any other suggestions, cause I GOTTA HAVE THAT TRUCK!

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-19 9:01 pm   Permalink

Try Target. That's the only place I've seen them.

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 8:09 pm   Permalink

Nope, only Von Dutch choppers at my Target in NY. Sigh.

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 9:09 pm   Permalink

Go to http://www.jadatoys.com/distribution.html for distributors . in NY there is Galaxy Distributors 1691 B Church Street Holbrook, New York 11741 USA
Toll-Free: 888-281-2789 Phone: 631-563-3990, Fax: 631-563-4066

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 10:58 pm   Permalink

ooooh, sweet truck. This would look sweet towing my model woody...

I almost wouldn't mind braking down if i got towed by that baby.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-21 11:04 am   Permalink

Ordered it from one of the diecast companies recommended by Jada Toys. Thanks.

stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 02:29 am   Permalink

I'm confused, I've seen alot of Von Dutch's work up close as my ex's father was a contemporary of his. I don't remember seeing those cars, pictures of those cars, or him ever doing a tiki. Are these put out by Von Dutch Industries in a interpreted Von Dutch style or are these replicated from actual cars he painted? Von Dutch Industries is evil in my book. Von Dutch's carvings and etchings were just as incredible as his pinstriping...

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 07:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-22 02:29, stuff-o-rama wrote:
I'm confused, I've seen alot of Von Dutch's work up close as my ex's father was a contemporary of his. I don't remember seeing those cars, pictures of those cars, or him ever doing a tiki. Are these put out by Von Dutch Industries in a interpreted Von Dutch style or are these replicated from actual cars he painted? Von Dutch Industries is evil in my book. Von Dutch's carvings and etchings were just as incredible as his pinstriping...

I agree. I have seen Von Dutch's work also, when it was on tour with Robt Williams and Ed Roth in '93 and have been a fan of his since. I purchased a few shirts and a jacket from the website about 4 years ago. The service was horrible. Now that I see Brittany Spears' dogs wearing Von Dutch clothes, it's kind of lost any Kustom Kulture meaning to me. Kind of feel sorry for Von Dutch. I don't think this was the direction he was headed and he can't defend himself against this exploitation.
-my two cents

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2005-02-22 07:07 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 08:14 am   Permalink

Turbogod - I think we discussed that show at the Maryland Institute before...I too became a fan after getting to see Von Dutch's work up-close, not to mention Roth and Robt. Williams as well. I didn't understand what had happened the first time I saw some hip-hop artist wearing a Von Dutch trucker hat. I didn't realize that his name had been sold to some company to place all over ridiculously priced merchandise. I was in Nordstrom one afternoon one day last summer and came across tons of $50 caps and $70 t-shirts and thought to myself does anyone even know who or what Von Dutch is? I took it upon myself to explain it to a father and his 16 year old son who was trying to decide which stupid looking hat he was gonna have daddy plunk down the plastic on. I was met with blank stares and disinterest...oh well. I think Robert Williams said it best, "If he was alive hed walk in there with a pistol and shoot those people." That's the Von Dutch I know and love!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 09:01 am   Permalink

I believe the jada toys are ment to be VonDutch inspired. I agree about the clothes being horrible

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-02-22 09:19 ]

aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 1:16 pm   Permalink

I agree,the clothes and hats are hideous and the buyers haven't a clue. But if tiki is the icon of the surf/hot rod cultures, then this truck is cool by me.

stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 3:58 pm   Permalink

Here's Pete "Hot Dog" Finlan's thought on the Von Dutch Industries

"No Respect ...for the name"

Von Dutch's grandaughter owned the original line when it first started. They started out with t-shirts and decals of his pinstriping, like "Harvey" and the speed motorcycles. Then she sold it to some guy in LA who got some investors involved who eventually turned it into a high end fashion clothing line. The irony is Von Dutch himself wouldn't be able to afford his own clothes. Or wear them for that matter. Although I like the truck and I think the toy is cool, perhaps they could've got Jimmy C to design a cool tiki truck instead of someone else's artwork and attaching Von Dutch's name. How about a Von Franco line? Heck I'd litter my house with those!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation