FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Most bizarre music/commerical pairings?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Most bizarre music/commerical pairings?
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 12:15 pm   Permalink

The other day I was watching an Iggy Pop video and reflecting on what combination of drugs and mental illness must go into creating his genius when a bizarre thing happened ... several minutes after the video ended a commercial came on ... for a cruise line ... screaming out "Lust for Life." Of course, Iggy (who I actually prefer to Kathie Lee Gifford) did not appear in the commercial, and two lines of the song were repeated over and over again ... but it was bizarre all the same.

I think they should have included more of the lyrics:

Here comes Johnny in again
With liquor and drugs
And a fast machine
He's gonna do another strip tease.

Hey man, where'd ya get that lotion?
I've been hurting since I'm up again
With something called love
Yeah, something called love.
Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.

Now THAT'S what I call a cruise!!!

Can anyone think of any other strange music/commercial pairings?

[ This Message was edited by: CruzinTiki on 2005-02-18 12:59 ]

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 12:35 pm   Permalink

An SUV ad used the Buzzcocks' "What Do I Get?," and Claritin used the B52's "Roam," both pretty odd pairings.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 12:43 pm   Permalink

I think you pretty much nailed the most bizarre pairing. I've been saying the same thing about that commercial for months. Don't they think that people who might be getting into their sea cruising years might actually know the song and it's origins? Maybe there's a heroin buffet on board.

It's not such a weird pairing, appearance-wise, but did the ad agency actually believe that anyone who was a Zeppelin fan in their youth would be interested in buying a new Cadillac today? Do you ever see anyone under 50 driving a new Cadillac? Whnever I see that commercial I think two things: Zeppelin finally sold out, and an ad agency trying way too hard to be cool and missing the mark entirely.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 12:48 pm   Permalink

As much as I admire Pete and have been a die hard Who fan since I was in my teens, I cringe every time I hear yet another Townshend tune being used to hock a CSI-show or Mervyn's or the most recent Saab commercial (featuring the signature riff from 'Pinball Wizard')

"The Who Sell Out" indeed...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-18 12:43, Tiki-bot wrote:
I think you pretty much nailed the most bizarre pairing. I've been saying the same thing about that commercial for months. Don't they think that people who might be getting into their sea cruising years might actually know the song and it's origins? Maybe there's a heroin buffet on board.

It's not such a weird pairing, appearance-wise, but did the ad agency actually believe that anyone who was a Zeppelin fan in their youth would be interested in buying a new Cadillac today? Do you ever see anyone under 50 driving a new Cadillac? Whnever I see that commercial I think two things: Zeppelin finally sold out, and an ad agency trying way too hard to be cool and missing the mark entirely.

Yeah, but Zep fans from their heyday in the early '70s are in their 50s now.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 3:17 pm   Permalink

I was thinking tyhe weird Celine DIon/ Anne Geddes book and CD thats out. Talk about the axis of evil!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 8:34 pm   Permalink

Sea World usually has a summer campaign that uses INXS' "New Sensation", while showing polar bears diving into their pond, and orcas leaping up at the camera.
I once mentioned to someone that Van Halen's "Jump" was very popular in frisbee dog competitions, and thusly ruined that person's mental image of Van Halen forever.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 8:56 pm   Permalink

The Sonics and Range Rover. Oh, well it not the oddest but it is damned offensive.

My favorite response to a band selling out is when the Clash allowed (sold out) Levis to use "Should I Stay or Should I Go", Billy Childish and Thee Headcoats formed THEE STASH. They released a single with the a side being a rewrite titled "Should I Suck or Should I Blow?", with the flip side being a rewrite of I'm So Bored With The USA, titled "We're Selling Jeans For The U.S.A."

Brilliant.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 12:05 pm   Permalink

Well, Pampers using Iggy's "Real Wild Child" struck my irony bone.

And then Tommy Hilfiger and CCR "Fortunate Son".
They only use the line that says...
"Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
ooh, they're red, white and blue", I suppose because of the red, white, and blue logo.

However the NEXT lines...

"And when the band plays "Hail To The Chief",
oh, they point the cannon at you, Lord.

It ain't me, it ain't me"...

Those don't seem to laud their products or the people who purchase them so much.

I'm seriously waiting for the Ad Wizards to use the first verse of "Turning Japanese" for Kodak or something...

"I got your picture of me and you
You wrote "I love you" I wrote "me too"
I sit here staring and there's nothing else to do
Oh it's in color
Your hair is brown
Your eyes are hazel
And soft as clouds
I have to kiss you when there's no one else around"

And oh, how I shall laugh.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 8:02 pm   Permalink

Good topic. Few things irk me more than the lyrics being used totally out of the song's context (like PJ's Credence example). My least fave is Chevy's "Like a Rock" which is from a Seger song wherein the singer is actually lamenting how long it's been he was "Like a Rock".

Just plain creepy goes to "Stacy's Mom Has Got it Goin' On" ad for some minivan. A little too age-inappropriate for the kids.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 9:23 pm   Permalink

Being a huge Clash fan, I thought there had to be something up with the Clash selling out. I don't remember all the details, but the Clash were pretty renowned for bitching about the recording contracts they had and tried for many years to get out of them. Apparently they made next to made no money from all their albums and fought for years to regain the rights to their songs. Upshot is, yeah, they sold out, but it wasn't like they got rich from their work in the first place (like Zeppelin). At this point, they can only sell them to help recoup all the millions they should have made from them in the first place. There's always more to the story, it seems.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 9:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-18 15:17, tikifish wrote:
I was thinking tyhe weird Celine DIon/ Anne Geddes book and CD thats out. Talk about the axis of evil!

Preach on sistah!

Babys and Canadians, creepy!... oh, wait...

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 9:55 pm   Permalink

In reference to the Clash comment...
I'm not sure when the commercial came out but I would venture to guess that it was after Joe Strummer died. If I remember correctly, Mick Jones has become a bit of a wanker and would have no problem selling out.
Mind you, this is just my speculation...
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 02:04 am   Permalink

I heard John Doe of X on Jonesy's show on 103.1 tell a story how Jaguar wanted one of their songs for a car commercial but went with "London Calling" by the Clash instead. he joked he said he'd only do it for 6 figures. He and Steve Jones were debating whether it was OK to approve songs for commercials or not. They both being band members who've never actually made big bucks from their music didn't have a big problem with it but John Doe said he would've felt like he'd sold his soul. Exene said that Windex wanted to use "Blue Spark" for a TV commercial and she declined it as it was just too ridiculous. However X did do a Budweiser radio spot back in the day for free beer and a few bucks. Billy Zoom has it on his web site: http://www.xtheband.com/xbud.mp3

I've heard Rev Horton Heat's "Big Red Rocket of Love" on a Ford ad and I don't think he was reffering to cars in that particular song.

The weirdest one for me personally was Bob Dylan lurking about the Victoria's Secret models. Yikes!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-22 02:04, stuff-o-rama wrote:
The weirdest one for me personally was Bob Dylan lurking about the Victoria's Secret models. Yikes!

Supposedly Mr. Zimmerman was asked by an interviewer (many years ago, back in his New York days) if he'd ever do an advertizing campaign, and Bob replied "Only for Ladies underwear." I guess Victoria's Secret called him on it...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation