FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Added New Mosaic Bartop,,,see page 6
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Added New Mosaic Bartop,,,see page 6
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 3:52 pm   Permalink

Wow Tammy, Your work is awesome. Funny thing, we have had some of the same ideas (which I have yet to incorporate.) We really like that BOT monkey look tiki too and hope to do a similar one some day. I have a bunch of questions to ask you but I will PM you those later. In an area that is rather void of TC peeps, it's nice to know that we have another carver relatively close by!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 6:06 pm   Permalink

Looking very good, i have always liked that guy Tiki form the BOT. the pictures of the Tiki Tammy's Paradise Bar, looks great as well, lots of good looking goodies that no bar should be with out.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 08:20 am   Permalink

#2 is mostly done now...I just need some advice on finishing him out. Any suggestions?

I've never done any burning, but I'm up for most anything. What do you guys think the best method would be for this guy?

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 08:29 am   Permalink

I wouldn't want you to burn this one. I'd be afraid it would take away from all the cool detail you have in the head dress. I'd go with a medium stain and a couple of coats of poly. I bet Benzart will chime in amy time now with better ideas though.

BTW, that looks awsome!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 09:02 am   Permalink

I agree with Finkdaddy. Burning may be too extreme - try two-tone stain to accents your deep cuts. Great tiki.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 11:28 am   Permalink

Maybe a light wash under the stain or poly coat for the flowers? I was thinking a very thinned out color to just add a touch of green to the leaves and whatever color you want to make the blossoms, and putting it under the stain would make it look more aged.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 11:55 am   Permalink

I'm with Finky, i wouldn't burn it either, It would make too much of the grain stand out. Start with a light stail and make it darker unyil it looks right to you. The arving is really nice so you don't want to chance messing it up.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 1:41 pm   Permalink

He turned out great. I really like your added details, too- the pineapple and flowers... Do you have a close-up pic of the hibiscus you could show?

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 2:12 pm   Permalink

I'll get more pics this weekend of the hibiscus areas. I took these very quickly this morning before work.(my paying gig)

Thanks for the inspiration guys. I'll be huntin' up more logs soon. My next door neighbor works for a tree trimming service, maybe I can work out a "beer-for-logs" trade.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 6:03 pm   Permalink

very impressive tiki tammy....love the nose...keep up the good work! your tiki bar
set-up is fantastic.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-04 7:35 pm   Permalink

Capt here are the closeups that you requested. We are tired of sanding so we will probably stain him tomorrow. My husband has been a saint and helped me get him smooth.

I'll post again once I have him finished.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitammy on 2005-06-04 19:38 ]

tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 10:58 am   Permalink

I decided to do a water based stain for the flowers and leaves that could be tinted. While I was at Home Depot I noticed they also tinted wood colors. BAD IDEA! This water based stain is essentially watered down paint. My tiki turned out rather funky. I couldn't stand it, so I started sanding. Here's what he looks like now.

Should I continue sanding or do something else? I have definitely learned a good lesson.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 11:39 am   Permalink

I would just go for an oil based stain. something like a dark mahogany. Allpy it on very heavily. Let it set for about 30 minutes and wipe away the excess. If there are any light spots, reapply to those to blend it in.
All is not lost. This happens more than you know.. Just keep at it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 11:51 am   Permalink

This may sound silly...

I really like it like this...

It looks weathered and old... very cool...

Of course it may look different in person...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 12:08 pm   Permalink

wow it looks great!!! I too like it the way it is. maybey rub minwax paste wax all over it and then buff it with a cloth or buffer. You do wonderful work. Your mozaic is incredible. keep it up.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation