FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Added New Mosaic Bartop,,,see page 6
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Added New Mosaic Bartop,,,see page 6
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 12:10 pm   Permalink

I agree with Lake. Just a clearcoat over it for protection.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 1:40 pm   Permalink

I think Lakesurfer nailed it . I would varnish and put him out for the world to admire.
Very nice work.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooPrincess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-08 2:11 pm   Permalink

Great job! Tikitammy ....I am working on my first tiki myself .......thanks for posting your pictures ....you are all an inspiration to me........

View Profile of BambooPrincess Send a personal message to BambooPrincess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 2:26 pm   Permalink

TTammy,

Did the waterbased stain cover up the woodgrain? I'm about to try out my first waterbased stain. I shall proceed with causion.

It does look good sanded, so that is at least an option.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 2:41 pm   Permalink

It doesn't completely cover the grain but it just causes a solid color with no grain definition. I like a stain that makes part of the grain darker than other parts so you can really see the grain.

It's fine to use as a color highlight like on flowers or a hawaiian shirt, but I would't use it again all over.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 2:48 pm   Permalink

It looks great- those Hibiscus turned out really well.

Another possible idea is to do a "streak stain" with an oil stain over the water-based- but I'd also test a piece of scrap first... Could bring back some of the grain illusion?

(By streaking I don't mean paint streaks on, but dab a bunched cloth in the stain, remove majority excess, then swipe it lightly with the grain...)

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-08 16:16 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 04:53 am   Permalink

Go with it and light stain over it. It will still look great. I like a splash of color. So I think it will look fine.

P.S. can we get a close up of the flower?

thanks

[ This Message was edited by: flacookz on 2005-06-09 04:54 ]

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 08:13 am   Permalink

Wow...I'm just amazed by the stuff showing up herelately...blows me away.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:15 am   Permalink

I really appreciate all of the compliments. Especially when they come from people whos work I admire so much.

When I ask my husband for input, all I get is what I did wrong. I know he tells me the truth but he forgets to point out the positive too.

THANKS GUYS!

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 10:07 am   Permalink

Tammy, I'm sorry that you don't like the way the color on the flower & leaf looks, unfortunately that's almost exactly what I was thinking of. I actually like it alot just the way it looks, maybe a really, really diluted wash of a stain (just to make it look older) & then polycoat it?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 10:21 am   Permalink

Freddie..
I may have misexplained. I like the color on the flowers and leaves. It's the solid brown/tan color on the tiki that I didn't like. I put the color on the hibiscus and leaves and I liked it after I had sanded it a little. I just didn't know when to stop. Recently he's started to grow on me a bit. I'll probably just sand him just a bit more and poly him.

BambooPrincess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-09 10:35 am   Permalink

Tiki Tammy....
You are very talented...I love your work already....I can only hope to be half as good as you someday. Really, I think you are blessed........

View Profile of BambooPrincess Send a personal message to BambooPrincess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 7:29 pm   Permalink

your carving is some kinda wonderful!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 7:55 pm   Permalink

this is a very nice one Tammy.....i like
it just the way it is....thanks for posting
and keep em coming.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:
P.S. can we get a close up of the flower?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation