FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge USS Jimmy Carter (SSN-23)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
USS Jimmy Carter (SSN-23)
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-19 6:14 pm   Permalink

Ahoy mates! The Navy's latest sub hits the waves with quite a splash. The USS Jimmy Carter. http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/usw/issue_5/ussjimmycarter.html
Usually the navy names carriers after presidents and subs after cities (I guess Carter's sauce wasn't as strong as Reagan's).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-19 8:54 pm   Permalink

Maybe it has something to do with Carter having been a Submariner.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-19 11:20 pm   Permalink

A note to all those who go near navy bars after dark -- and Humuhumu I do mean you --

A "submariner" is pronounced "sub-marine-er" -- trust me, you don't want to test the veracity of this --

Satan's Sin is friends with joy, pals with sorrow.

[ This Message was edited by: Satan's Sin on 2005-02-19 23:26 ]

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 12:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-19 20:54, TikiGardener wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with Carter having been a Submariner.

Now why didn't I think of that? Good call TikiGardener. I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 07:12 am   Permalink

Hey Satans Sin-

How about using the term "Squid"?

I got thrown out of the Enlisted Club at the 32nd ST. Base for that one!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 08:02 am   Permalink

"Bubblehead" also works well on those sub-par sub-marin-ers. "Shoe" is the catch-all derogatory term for any non-aviator within the Navy (ususally preceded by f*%#kin' or worthless).

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 09:46 am   Permalink

As I recall:

Squid = Any sailor
Submariner = Bubblehead
Surface Ship Driver = Shoe
Aviator = Airedale
SEAL = Knuckledragger
Coast Guard = Coastie, but this does not seem denigrating enough; perhaps there is something else?

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-02-20 10:32 am   Permalink

Deck Ape is a personal fav!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 10:36 am   Permalink

Engineer = Snipe
Electronic Tech = Twidget
Quartermaster = Quartergasket

aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 11:12 am   Permalink

As a "Coastie" all I've ever heard for us is "Brown Water Navy". Of course we always like to say that guys in the Navy have great looking kids due to thier Coastie Fathers....

I was a Quartermaster until last year ( When they killed my rate) Now since I'm a Boatswains Mate I go by "Quotes" ( My version of the BM nickname "Boats")

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 11:57 am   Permalink

Got rid of Quartermasters? Whu .... ? They also get rid of the ship's wheel?

Anyhoo --

Supply Officer = Pork Chop
Asst Supply Officer = Lamb Chop

kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-21 05:13 am   Permalink

One too many NJP's can lead to the following MOS:

Latrine Maintenance Technician = Sh*t Sucker

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-22 08:46 am   Permalink

A military sub named after Jimmy Carter? Who's the genius what thunk THAT up? I heard they were originally gunna name it the USS SPINELESS but decided on its synonym instead.

PS This just in: The Navy just reported that the USS Jimmy Carter has "thin skin".

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-22 10:33 pm   Permalink

It turnes out that Hunter S Thompson was a fan of Jimmy Carter -- the following is from Rosalynn Carter's 1984 autobiography.
------------------------

[At] Law Day ceremonies at the University of Georgia ...Jimmy...made some impromptu remarks about our system of justice as he saw it working in Georgia. He described several cases in which people had been cheated or sent to prison just because they were poor and lacked influence, and he criticized the legal establishment soundly for looking the other way while these things were occurring in front of them....

What we did not know at the time was that writer Hunter Thompson, who was visiting that day, was captivated by what Jimmy said. He had been sitting in the back of the audience, quietly sipping Wild Turkey bourbon disguised as iced tea. When Jimmy began speaking, Thompson began to ease toward the exit for a refill, but when he heard the names Reinhold Niebuhr and Bob Dylan he stayed to listen. He immediately asked the university to send him a taped copy of the speech, and for months afterward he played the tape over and over for anyone he could force to listen. Later, he came to Plains to visit us, and wrote a long article in Rolling Stone with the Law Day speech as the focal point.
------------------------

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 10:30 am   Permalink

Yeah, namimg warships after hyper-intelligent, peace-loving diplomats sucks! We should name all future warships after war-mongering dim-witted evangelical tyrants! USS Monkey McFlightsuit ready for doody!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation