FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Witco Furniture
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Witco Furniture
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-16 09:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-21 22:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Do you know http://www.atomic-ranch.com ? It is a really well done new magazine for people like you and me who like vintage architecture and decor, and it purposely features not just high brow name designer (Eames/Miller/etc) stuff. Every issue shows well renovated mid century homes and their interiors, with lots of tips, and ads for good retro stuff. It's quarterly, I have all four issues so far, and I can really recommend it to everyone.

Marian and I are still fans of this magazine -- we have all of their issues as well -- but we have to observe the issue we just recieved was kind of disappointing; especially because it is only a quarterly publication.

The April issue is chock-full of advertising by some great small companies -- including some of our favorite vintage and tiki-related enterprises -- but their selection of homes for the feature articles, or maybe the photographs of these homes, left us disappointed.

Surely there are more eye-popping examples of mid-century homes that could be documented by this publication. Perhaps these homes are owned by members of this board and they would be willing to have their homes documented....

Not that the homes they featured this month aren't special in some ways... its just the overall content and layout seemed to fall flat this time.

If anyone on this board feels their home is worthy of a photoshoot, I would strongly suggest contacting the editor and offering to send a few photos of your place.

We want this magazine to suceed (we even gave friends a gift subscription for Christmas), but they need more compelling homes, bigger photos, and more eductional editorial if they are going to keep us as subscribers.

Also, they need to drop the small, artsy close-up photos of flowers and plants, and show more interesting structural detail and really outstanding mid-century furnishings.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-16 09:05 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 7:41 pm   Permalink

This seems like a good thread to announce that the recently auctioned Witco sofa and loveseat offered on e-bay will now be gracing the lobby of Geoff and Marian's Honolulu Lounge.
To transact the deal I flew out of Orlando at 5:30 this morning and was greeted at the Asheville, NC airport by sellers Tad and Suzanne. What a wonderful couple! They drove me to the bank and to two places so I could find a rental truck, and then helped me load the set. After saying goodbye, I drove for nine hours to get the set to Orlando.
Here's some photos of the furniture (we plan to put different upholstery on it) from the e-bay listing...

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-24 19:46 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 7:48 pm   Permalink

Kailuageoff, congratulations on such a great score, that is awesome !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 7:55 pm   Permalink

Oh that is just so fantastic!
And what a great story!

Do you know what pattern you're going to upholster it with yet? Some kind of animal print would look great, I'm sure you'll be able to find out what was originaly on there. Or maybe you have something different in mind already How exciting!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 8:44 pm   Permalink

Wow! That's one hell of a sofa! Great story and an unbelievable score!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 06:30 am   Permalink

Thanks for the praise on these pieces. According to Tad, this set apparently came to North Carolina from Baltimore.

We're not sure what fabric we are going to recover it with. Before I saw the set in person, I thought the sofa had been recovered. After examining it up close, it looks like the fabric is still attached with the original upholstery nails... so maybe the fabric was original. Regardless, we need something that will look better with our other furniture so we may go with leather as opposed to animal print. I'll post photos once we have it re-done.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-25 06:31 ]

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 07:36 am   Permalink

Hearing that it came from Baltimore gives me hope that there may be a Witco enclave somewhere close-by which hasn't been tapped yet. I always thought those of us in Baltimore weren't hip enough to own any Witco!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-25 06:30, Kailuageoff wrote:
...After examining it up close, it looks like the fabric is still attached with the original upholstery nails... so maybe the fabric was original. Regardless, we need something that will look better with our other furniture so we may go with leather as opposed to animal print.

I looked trough the catalogues I have and did not find it, though Witco did use more "normal" fabrics at the time (they made this furniture between 1971-76), in contrast to their Leopard/Tiger/Zebra/Furry animal materials. There is a crushed velvet curry colored fabric that looks nice, but my vote goes for what clearly proved to work in Neptune's home: A clean red.

Any brownish/beige/golden tones will make it look like you are trying to turn the pieces towards "good taste", or "antique", softening the radicalness of it. The red really makes it look stylish, vintage and bold. Maybe a wine red leather/vinyl?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 12:57 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,
Yeah, I was thinking something like red leather or vinyl as well. I really need to take Marian to Neptune's Palace so she can grasp the full potential of Witco as a comprehensive approach to home decorating....
As you can imagine, Neptune was a major motivating force behind this purchase, but I don't have plans to attempt a whole home conversion.... yet.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-25 12:58 ]

mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-20 15:56, tikicar wrote: a 60s single black fur type material chair. The ones that are made out of one piece that goes up high on the back down almost to the ground at your butt then up at your legs. Has the sliding pillow on the back. I still have this couch.

is it the corbusier chaise? yee gads!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 3:04 pm   Permalink

does any one know of WITCO ever made a mask(about 3') tall with a spear coming staight out (up)(about 4' tall dver all. a second hand store here has it,$100.00. is that a good price if it is WITCO? thanks TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 8:42 pm   Permalink

They made two kinds, with spear heads sticking out at the top AND the bottom, sometimes the bottom one is missing.

One is a simple mask with converging lines forming the eyes and an "o" shape mouth, and the other one has a "u"-shaped cut-out on top and on the bottom, with a frowning teethed mouth.

I would get it, I have a picture of Roy Orbison in his midcentury home with the first kind on the wall.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 5:55 pm   Permalink

Here's the fabric we are thinking of using to recover the Witco sofa and loveseat. It has kind an animal skin look, plus the colors we already have in the room. We looked at burgundy leather, but decided dark solid colors would hide the wood, and we want the wood to "pop" against the fabric.
KG

tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 6:22 pm   Permalink

I love the couch and love seat. That is a great set. I was watching those on Ebay. If I had the room I might have been in there bidding with you. I would love to find a set of the chairs like in Svens book to go on each side of the small table I have. I hope to go get the large outrigger picture that was my parents this week. The guy who had the rest of the stuff told me he found it. We just havn't been able to get together yet. There is a cool Witco wall lamp on ebay now that I hope to get. The guy is pretty close to me. We will see.
as to your earlier post. I would like to see more real world modern houses featured in magazines. Not just High buck show houses. We love our stuff and use it. Thats what it is made for. Funny the best thing about commercials these days are most are set in really cool mid century houses. Later, Scott

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 6:38 pm   Permalink

About Atomic Ranch... Yeah, I don't mean they need to feature big buck homes, I just want better examples of mid-century homes well decorated and photographed. The other issues hit the mark. The latest one did not, in my opinion.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation