Tiki Central Forums Bilge Hunter S. Thompson
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hunter S. Thompson
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 5:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-23 16:40, freddiefreelance wrote:
After reading the Ralph Steadman quote late last night I had a strange flash on the timing of HST shooting himself: it was the first Sunday after the weekend of the Pro Bowl, the real end of the football season.

I'd like think of Hunter Thompson and Dick Nixon sitting in some afterlife sportsbar recapping the '04 season over a beer. Hunter was a great writer and a man's man and as such, he did something few of us can or will do...he wrote the ending to his autobiography.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-02-24 08:11 am   Permalink

I was just perusing the wealth of articles at http://www.gonzo.org and found this:

Hunter S. Thompson's remains to be shot out of a cannon!

Check it out!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gwenners
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-24 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-24 08:11, Hakalugi wrote:
I was just perusing the wealth of articles at http://www.gonzo.org and found this:

Hunter S. Thompson's remains to be shot out of a cannon!

Check it out!

Am I the only one who notices
a very strangely apt Muppet Show connection to this?

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ This Message was edited by: gwenners on 2005-02-24 12:09 ]

View Profile of gwenners Send a personal message to gwenners  Goto the website of gwenners     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-24 12:43 pm   Permalink

I don't know about you all, but if this cannon ball thing is done publicly, and/or the tentatively planned public memorial in late spring/early summer goes forward, I'm thinking "Colorado Road Trip."

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 2:22 pm   Permalink

Love the Gonzo-cannon, a big muppet "waka waka"
for that one.
A good quote from the Denver post article: Thompson liked to joke that he was cannon fodder, which led to his oft-expressed wish for one final blast.
This stunt is appropriate for the godfather of gonzo journalism, which is a scatter-brained form of writing... wait that didn't bring up a good mental picture.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2005-02-25 12:32 pm   Permalink

wow. this is weird and gross:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=377&item=4530830861&rd=1

NOT my auction!

poor HST.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2005-02-28 11:02 am   Permalink

also, just found this DVD about HST online. does not appear to be available on amazon.com:

http://www.breakfastwithhunter.com/thedvd.asp

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-12 1:16 pm   Permalink

Just fetched my new Rolling Stone from the mailbox. Excellent article(s) on HST by Jann Wenner & freinds. Also some very cool pics & illustrations. A must read for fans & admirers.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-13 6:10 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: purple jade 2005-08-25 09:21 ]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-16 01:40 am   Permalink

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fijifingers
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-25 08:26 am   Permalink

Have you ever tried to put 90 lbs. of air in your vehicles tires .....??

Check my tires ......plzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I stumbled onto ....."Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas" ..........during the 70's .....it was right next to "The Late Great Planet Earth" ...in the bookstore.

I guess HT rode it out.

View Profile of fijifingers Send a personal message to fijifingers  Email fijifingers Goto the website of fijifingers ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 08:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-28 11:02, dangergirl299 wrote:
also, just found this DVD about HST online. does not appear to be available on amazon.com:

http://www.breakfastwithhunter.com/thedvd.asp

Yeah, I'm surprised that this isn't getting better distribution. Hopefully it will do in the fullness of time, so it's a little cheaper (and easier to get hold of in the UK).

Another DVD worth getting is the Criterion Collection version of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". It includes a 1978 BBC documentary with Hunter and Ralph Steadman, a short film of Hunter visiting the set, and an HST audio commentary to the film. Really good stuff.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 2:28 pm   Permalink

"The delicate illusions that get us through life can only stand so much strain."

--HST

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation