FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Chicago Exotica 2005
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Chicago Exotica 2005
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-30 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-29 23:09, tikivixen wrote:
In other words, isn't there supposed to be some good jazz there too? Or was that fifty years ago...I tend to be out of date...

Lisa aka tikivixen

Lisa -

Check out the Green Mill at 4802 North Broadway (773-878-5552, 12PM-4AM Sun-Fri, 12PM-5AM Sat). It's been open since 1907, making it the oldest continuously open jazz club in the country. Al Capone and Charlie Chaplin were regulars. The decor is amazing and appears to have been done in the 1930s or 1940s. I don't know what the acts who play there are like because I went in there in the day for a quick one.

Here's some snaps I took:

I have not been to these places but they were recommended in various guide books:

The Jazz Showcase (59 West Grand Ave) - 50 years old, classic acoustic-only jazz.

Green Dolphin Street (2200 North Ashland Avenue) - elegant supper club, showcases traditional and big band jazz

For a real adventure there's a few in the South Side:

Velvet Lounge (2128 1/2 South Indiana Ave) - described as "gritty" and "a bit on the seamy side"

The Cotton Club (1710 South Michigan Ave)

For jazz records, there's the Jazz Record Mart (444 North Wabash Avenue).

I'm sure James could make some good recommendations.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 10:23 pm   Permalink

The Green Mill is supremely cool, and they have live jazz there almost every night.

But, I never go there because the prices are supremely expensive, and the staff is supremely smug.

However, visitors to Chicago who are interested in al things vintage mid-century must visit it at least once.

If you go early enough, there is an awesome book/record store three doors down called Shake Rattle and Read.

Al Capone owned the Green Mill at one point, and if you go on a quiet night and suck up to the bartender, he may show you the trap door under the bar that leads to an underground tunnel.

This was a prohibition-era escape hatch.

It leads to the basement of - you guessed it - Shake Rattle and Read.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 09:07 am   Permalink

anyone know the event room rates at the hotels?....gotta make a decision on this asap, so i need to find out.......mahalo

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-01 09:07, hala bullhiki wrote:
anyone know the event room rates at the hotels?....gotta make a decision on this asap, so i need to find out.......mahalo

Room rates vary depending on size at both the Carleton and the Write Inn, so you will need to contact them directly for specific information based on your needs.

Please note that in order to get the special rates, reservations must be made at the Carleton by THURSDAY, JUNE 2 and at the Write Inn by FRIDAY, JUNE 10.

Contact info for the hotels is on the "Lodging" page on the Exotica website:
www.chicagoexotica.com

Mahalo,

-Amy

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-02 11:03 am   Permalink

i haven't made my reservations yet for the event...I figure, since i live here, why gyp someone out of a ticket that's coming in from out of town...i can visit all these places 24/7 so i'll probably be a last minute check in....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-02 6:05 pm   Permalink

35 days and counting...! Any new info. boutiki. I know Tiki Diablo is hard at work with the Exotica mug! Any pics?

Mahalo.

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-02 11:57 pm   Permalink

another stop on the tour should be Delilahs bar. One of the best chicago rock -n- roll bars left......probably one of the best selections of booze in town. Owner mike Miller prides himself on it and if you are a big rum drinker like myself, this is the place for you. lot's of yummy rums, including some cuban contraband rums, unavailable in most bars in the U.S.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 01:02 am   Permalink

let's not forget superdawg drive in...check it out here:

www.superdawg.com

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 01:03 am   Permalink

and yes, the giant hotdogs eyes wink on and off at you...

BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 03:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-02 23:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
another stop on the tour should be Delilahs bar. One of the best chicago rock -n- roll bars left......probably one of the best selections of booze in town. Owner mike Miller prides himself on it and if you are a big rum drinker like myself, this is the place for you. lot's of yummy rums, including some cuban contraband rums, unavailable in most bars in the U.S.

Go to the Exotica website, click on schedule, and you will see that Delilahs is on the menu for Thurday nites activities
http://www.chicagoexotica.com
TTFN

[ This Message was edited by: BambooLodge on 2005-06-03 03:14 ]

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 05:20 am   Permalink

thanks bamboo!! I haven't checked their site in awhile and since delilah's isn't tiki, I didn't think it would be up there. nice to see the carters are on top of things......

Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-05 07:18 am   Permalink

Would anybody care to explain to me, please, why my brother has decided to get married in BRAZIL on JULY 9TH, and why I have to be there? Anyone? Anyone?

Life is unjust. Well, in THIS case, anyway.

Have fun everybody!

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-05 07:39 am   Permalink

TL,
Some people are just selfish. Same thing happened to me this last Hukilau.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-05 2:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-05 07:18, Tikilicious wrote:

Have fun everybody!

that signature is my new fave! mahalo tikilicious, we'll print a copy and bring it along to mark your presence

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-05 8:28 pm   Permalink

Mahalo! Thats my logo!

I am a retro/tiki artist and designer. And the crazy chick in the photo is ME!

I sign all of my work "XOXO, Tikilicious!"

Glad you like it! Hey, yeah! Print it out and take it with you, and I will be there. Instead of my stupid brother's stupid wedding in my stupid hometown of stupid Brazil!

*tikilicious kisses!*

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation