FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Islands, Denver CO.?
Remove Highlighting
The Islands, Denver CO.?
Island Savage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-25 7:42 pm   Permalink

I came across a vintage pair of s&p shakers (sungod figure) from the "ISLANDS" in Denver Co.I checked some references but could find nothing on this place.I did a search here and all it came up with was a post by someone else who too, found the same shakers.Anyone have any info on this place? Thanks.

View Profile of Island Savage Send a personal message to Island Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ino

Posted: 2005-02-26 06:39 am   Permalink

I lived in Boulder since 1992 and work in Denver and I've never heard of such a place.

Depending on where you search online (I tried google local, dexonline, and regular google) I found a place called "the island" at:

2233 S. Geneva St. In the outskirts of Aurora.

Each source said it was something different. One source indicated that it was a banquet hall, the other said it was a caterer, the third a bar.

This is the most likely candidate. If anyone wants me to check it out, I can go by there on my way home on Monday evening and see what's there.

View Profile of ino Send a personal message to ino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 08:45 am   Permalink

Here is a summary about the Denver Islands restaurant (and others) and its owner. Enjoy.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4380&forum=1

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Island Savage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-26 08:53 am   Permalink

Great story ZM...
Thanks for the info!

View Profile of Island Savage Send a personal message to Island Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf Seal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-26 4:26 pm   Permalink

Is this the place that was actually in Glendale? When I was a kid I remember going to a polynesian restaurant in Glendale that was designed like like grass shacks that were surrounded by water. I loved that place. It was always vey busy, but still went out of business because it was not making enough money -- which I can never figure out.

View Profile of Surf Seal Send a personal message to Surf Seal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 4:59 pm   Permalink

Yes, it is the same place. According to Mr. Wong, the Denver operation was always profitable, however, it was his other establishments that eventually closed the doors.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf Seal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-02 2:46 pm   Permalink

Bummer. That was the tiki place I remember best from my childhood. Thanks for the info.

View Profile of Surf Seal Send a personal message to Surf Seal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 7:12 pm   Permalink

Here is a match box from Tommy Wong's Island in Denver. I am assuming this is the same as the Islands?

Tommy Wong was busy, had three other places as well.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 5:03 pm   Permalink

Just got another matchbook from Tommy Wongs Island restaurants. Four restaurants, he was a busy man.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-21 2:04 pm   Permalink

Just bought these S&Ps marked "Islands, Denver, CO"

And I bought then resold this to Koalacharms (thanks Frank!) and since the logo matches what you posted DC I am assuming same restaurant. and now I kind of regret selling it...ha!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 2:56 pm   Permalink

Found this old photo online featuring the dance group Polynesian Fiafia that was taken at Tommy Wongs Island in Denver.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 3:14 pm   Permalink

Love that Cosmo cover girl in the middle - pure American Polynesian!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation