Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kirschwasser/Cherry Brandy
Kirschwasser/Cherry Brandy
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-26 2:10 pm   Permalink

Are they one and the same? The other flavored brandies I have are all colored (artificially, I'm sure), but the kirschwasser isn't. I didn't see any cherry brandy along with the other flavored brandies, and the kirsch was in a separate liquor section.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 2:37 pm   Permalink

I don't drink Kirschwasser,but it's indispensable in cheese fondue.Doesn't help you out,but just thought I'd mention it.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dot hog

Posted: 2005-02-27 2:30 pm   Permalink

"Kirschwasser" generally denotes brandy that is distilled from cherries. It should be clear. If you've ever experienced good grappa, you have a good starting point for imagining what kirschwasser is like: highly aromatic and, if you're not ready for it, strong.

"Cherry brandy" seems to be to be a highly subjective description. Most I've seen in liquor stores and experienced in person look to be liqueurs--that is, a highly sugared cherry cordial-type beverage, like Heering. This is NOT kirschwasser.

I'm not sure if I've led you wrong, but I hope that helps.

View Profile of dot hog Send a personal message to dot hog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2005-02-27 8:29 pm   Permalink

I'm just want to know, when drink recipe calls for "cherry brandy" (like a Singapore Sling), is kirschwasser alright?

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dot hog

Posted: 2005-02-28 09:50 am   Permalink

Ahh, I get it. For a Sling, you definitely want to use the cordial/liqueur. Need the sweetness!

In the future, looking up variants on your favorite cocktails will help you in figuring out whether to use kirschwasser or so-called cherry brandy. For instance, with the Sling, a lot of bartenders on the cheap (or in a pinch) just throw some gin, sour, and sloe gin together. (Yuck.) That sloe gin is your tip-off that the more cordial-like of the two would probably work best.

However, I'm sure you're looking to make an original Sling, in which case the "cherry brandy" you want is definitely something like a dark, sweet liqueur along the lines of Heering.

If you're looking to experiment around with cocktails and learn about them, you can always do what I do when I'm not sure what to use: I make as many variants as needed to figure out which works for me. So you could make a 1/4 Sling with the "cherry brandy" and a 1/4 Sling with the kirschwasser and decide which you like best. (I have a feeling it'd be the sweeter version.)

In any case, good luck with your mixology.

EDIT: The direct answer to your last question is answered, kinda, in my first post. I'll restate it here: When most folks refer to "cherry brandy," they're probably looking for some sweet, cherry-flavored liqueur, like Heering, which is typically dark, sweet, and not so strong in terms of proof. They're not looking for an actual brandy made from the distilled juice of cherries, which is clear, dry, and high proof, and called "kirschwasser" when it's made by German speakers. Remember that this isn't a certainty, it's just a hunch based on the common misuse of "cherry brandy" to denote a cherry liqueur.

[ This Message was edited by: dot hog on 2005-02-28 09:56 ]

View Profile of dot hog Send a personal message to dot hog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 7:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-27 20:29, Rum Balls wrote:
I'm just want to know, when drink recipe calls for "cherry brandy" (like a Singapore Sling), is kirschwasser alright?

In a word: NO!

I made the mistake of using kirschwasser as the 'cherry brandy' in an Ankle Breaker (Intoxica!, page 14) - a drink that already has an ounce of 151 in it - and proceeded to create one of the most foul concoctions that I've ever tasted. I vowed never to make it again - until I realized my mistake. Now I use Bols Cherry Brandy, which is very sweet, and it makes a world of difference.

Kirschwasser is definitely some strong stuff and I agree with Dot Hog: the cherry brandy called for in most recipes is more likely than not the sweet stuff, not kirschwasser.

But you could always find out for yourself!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2005-02-28 9:31 pm   Permalink

Thank you, Good Doctor...that is what I was after: a simple yes or no answer. Though I probably will experiment...

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 07:27 am   Permalink

To put a finer point on the distinction: Kirschwasser is a brandy made from cherries, Cherry Brandy is brandy made from wine (grapes) with cherry syrup added. Using one for the other is like mistaking Sloe Gin for Slivovitz.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation