Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Corrugated Tapa
Corrugated Tapa
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-27 08:17 am   Permalink

I have a whole roll of corrugated tapa...
http://www.shindigz.com/catalog.cfm?pgp=P0371B
I bought it without a specific project in mind, but I'd like to make it less pliable, possibly to use as a veneer for a wall ledge to hold mugs. Maybe even to reface a cheap office armoire I bought at Kmart for 99 bucks. Is this possible? I was thinking maybe a spray lacquer or varnish?

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-27 09:53 am   Permalink

Possible you ask? Sure, maybe using some polyurethane of table top resin availeable at Home Depot. Just make sure you read the lable warnings so this doesn't turn it into a big fire combustible thing.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-27 7:21 pm   Permalink

I'm thinking I'd remove the corrugated backing, though. Even if you put on a hundred coats of varnish, those little airspaces will still make it puncturable and allow condensation to collect.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 11:17 am   Permalink

After seeing the corrugated tapa, I got to wondering about if anyone has seen any tapa print wall paper out there.
Thanks

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 07:03 am   Permalink

Hey SoBeTiki,
I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to welcome you back. It's been awhile since I've seen your posts. We still need to meet up at the Mai-Kai, the Hukilau or some such place.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-02 7:13 pm   Permalink

Kailuageoff,

Always happy to hear from the Florida contingent. Yes, we must make plans. I'm still holding out for some entrepreneur to open a Tiki Lounge here on South Beach. The Luau II anyone?

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation