FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 10:24 am   Permalink

Great, Great, GREAT!

Lots of people in those pics, which makes them all the more nostalgic. We really should get our collections together and see if someone wants to publish a small picture book on the theme.

Even though I posted it in another thread, it might be good to include the slide showing the Coco Palms room that Filslash digitized:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrMiguelito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-06 2:16 pm   Permalink

Cool pictures!

I stayed at the King Kamehameha on the Big Island in May of this year and the decor hasn't changed much. The lobby in particular is a '70s time warp--I kept expecting to see the Brady family pop up somewhere--but with all sorts of Polynesian artifacts and original portraits of the Hawaiian royal family. Very cool. As with most hotels, though, the rooms look much bigger in the brochures than they are in real life.

View Profile of DrMiguelito Send a personal message to DrMiguelito  Email DrMiguelito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 7:34 pm   Permalink

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 10:49 am   Permalink

Here's a few more hotel room views, from some brochures:

Napili Kai Beach Club, Maui:

Kaanapali Beach Hotel, Maui:

Orchid Island Hotel, Hilo :

Coco Palms, Kauai:

(Kings Cottage and Lava Rock bathtub)

(Kings Lagoon Lanai, with those great lamps from Sabu's post )

(Queens Cottage)

Kauai Surf :

Aina Luana, Waikiki:

Polynesian, Waikiki:

Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki:

Waikikian :

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-12-15 3:53 pm   Permalink

A few more from a recent excursion:

The Islander Hotel, Waikiki:

The killer lobby of the Kona Inn:

Here's a detail of the awesome lamps in a Kona Inn room. (Full postcard earlier on this thread):

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 08:19 am   Permalink

Here's 2 more from the Kona Inn:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-31 4:38 pm   Permalink

Mahalo nui loa Sabu fo' da pix of Hawai'i how it used to and still SHOULD be!!!
Your postcards took me right back to my days as a VERY happy child in Kane'ohe - Our place used to look a LOT like these postcards... I still remember fondly our garden tikis (which made the journey with us by ship to California), the bamboo mats and matting everywhere, and our bamboo mat and monkeypod bar.

Fond, warm, happy memories. Thanx Sabu! _ _
/
===

View Profile of tikimon Send a personal message to tikimon  Email tikimon Goto the website of tikimon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 10:49 pm   Permalink

Man, now THOSE are great pix. Mahalo for posting those. Makes me really wish that someone would figure out time travel.
The mix of classic Polynesian and Mid Century Modern just works so perfectly.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 08:10 am   Permalink

Here's a great link...all Hawaiian postcards from back in the day...images are small, but apparentlym these are all for sale.

http://members.tripod.com/Verchie/Hawaii.html

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 08:56 am   Permalink

Sabu?

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 08:05 am   Permalink

Coco Palms Resort

Kona Inn

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jollivee

Posted: 2009-02-26 9:21 pm   Permalink

Using postcards in advertising your products and services is good. It can easily catch people's attention and what you have to say is already written in the postcard. postcard printing service

View Profile of jollivee Send a personal message to jollivee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 11:02 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-02-26 21:21, jollivee wrote:
Using postcards in advertising your products and services is good. It can easily catch people's attention and what you have to say is already written in the postcard.

WOW, IT'S A NEW BRAND OF HAWAIIAN SPAM!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 12:03 pm   Permalink

I have always enjoyed the great photos on this post from Sabu and Puamana. I decided it was time to freshen it up a bit with some new images, as many of the old ones have been lost to the dreaded Red X.

This is from the Hawaiiana Hotel.

Some rooms from the Hawaiian Village Hotel.

From the famous Waikikian.

Some great rooms found at the Kona Inn. Check out all of that great art on the walls.

These are from the Hanalei Plantation.

From the Kauai Surf Hotel.

The Holiday Isle Hotel.

Thats all for now, will try to post some more later.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 5:49 pm   Permalink

I would love to own those headdress lamps!

Anyone own these or come across any during their collecting?

And you guys are awesome with all the imagery . Sabu and DustyCajun it blows me away the stuff you post--wish we could compile it all into a book.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation