FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Beating a hangover-How?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Beating a hangover-How?
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 2:32 pm   Permalink

The only sure-fire method to cure a hang-over is to not overindulge the night before.

But that ain't gonna work for a lot of us.

When you know you are going to have an evening that involves the potential for one-too-many.....

Drink at least one glass of water for every two drinks you have. More if you can.

Eat BEFORE you drink. Have a nice big meal with lots of protein. Fatty foods help too, unless you are on one of the diets-dujour, then do what you can. Eating after your drunk is just going to be bad. And eating after you are drunk will not sober you up any faster, the alcohol is already in your system and that burger is not going to take any alcohol out of your system.

Drink as much water as you can take down before you go to bed. And I mean as much, so much that you have that sloshy-full feeling. Yes, you will have to get up in the night to pee, but that is a good thing.

In the morning, take as much water as you can again. Take aspirin. Good 'ol fashioned aspirin. That BC Stuff is good too. DO NOT take tylonol, aleive, excedrin, none of those fancy headaches meds, they will make you hurt longer because they interfere with the liver and slow down the process of recovery.

Eat whatever you can, and as much as you can. Your body needs the energy to work on the hang-over. There are no 'special foods' that work better than others, the only key to the food is, again, protein.

Coffee or Hot Tea. The caffeine will help you get going, the hot part will help open your lungs and help you to breath easier.

No Sodas the next morning, the sugar will just prolong the hangover because your body will try and process the sugar like it is more alcohol. If you have to do soda, choose a Diet or sugar-free option.

And, keep drinking as much water as you can until you feel better.

Everyone is going to offer something to help the hangover, and you should probably try every option presented if for no other reason than you will have nothing better to do when you are hung-over and it will keep you occupied until the water kicks in.

Water is key to the hang-over curing process.

And, did I mention that you should drink as much water as you can while you are recovering?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-19 05:30 am   Permalink

Alka Seltzer and an all-day nap!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 06:33 am   Permalink

Water is definitely the key.

Before, during and after a session of heavy drinking.

Also important is DO NOT DRINK CRAP DRINKS.

The worst hangovers I have ever had were generally from crap beer, shitty tequila, cheap wine or other alcoholic swill that may or may not have come in a plastic container the size of one's head.

On the contrary, there have been other times where I have consumed way to many cocktails made with decent ingredients and was surprisingly unhurt or minimally damaged the next day.

...and do what Chip says too.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 10:42 am   Permalink

I concur with Chip as well:

A glass of water between every cocktail, another water before bed, and a good night's sleep followed by a good breakfast.

Leisure Master is also spot-on: I notice that my hangovers are MUCH milder if I have been drinking quality booze, and natural ingredients (i.e. fresh squeezed juices instead of high fructose cancer syrup).

To this I would add a vitamin B complex before bed and another in the morning.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 2:47 pm   Permalink

this year at Oasis I did not over do it, and I never woke up with a hangover.
just tired from not enough sleep.

so there is something to be said about drinking too much.
I say if your gonna be at a all day or all night event.
keep it to at least 1 drink per hour, or less.
sip slowly,
drink water also. I drank alot of water as it was hot.

I have had Dr. Z cure and it works great.
thankfully I didnt need it this year.

but if you do over do it.
take them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-05-20 06:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-07 10:01, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
I did do a search, but my home computer is dial up and sucks, it took so long, it kept hanging up!

Ah, does anyone else remember 2005 and dial-up hell?

I posted an update on hangover relief (May 2018) over in another thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11429&forum=6&vpost=786976

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation