Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Growing Lime Trees
Growing Lime Trees
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-08 04:50 am   Permalink

I've recently moved house so I've decided to replant the garden and part of my idea is to plant a Lime tree. Hopefully I'll be able to grow my own limes and save having to go to the store. OK, so I'm in the UK so I may only get only 2 or 3 limes a year but hopefully they'll make the best Mai tai's.

Anyway, any Lime growing advice from any of you experts out there?

Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2005-03-08 04:50 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-08 05:52 am   Permalink

Is there any hope that this could be done in Wisconsin?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dot hog

Posted: 2005-03-08 08:05 am   Permalink

I know a few people who have citrus trees in their yard, but they live in frost-free areas (AZ and Southern CA).

Anywhere that has the potential for more than one frost per year is probably not the kind of place for citrus trees. That's a guess, though: my greenthumb extends to houseplants.

You could do a minature indoor citrus, and maybe they do those in a key lime you might use. I dunno. Good luck.

View Profile of dot hog Send a personal message to dot hog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-08 08:22 am   Permalink

Can you eat mini-citrus fruits?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dot hog

Posted: 2005-03-08 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-08 08:22, finkdaddy wrote:
Can you eat mini-citrus fruits?

Yep. Lots of pages--courtesy of google--suggest people can use whatever they grow inside (assuming they get the tree to fruit).

The Victory Garden tells you how to grow indoor citrus:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/knowhow/pp/citrusindoor/

[ This Message was edited by: dot hog on 2005-03-08 11:02 ]

View Profile of dot hog Send a personal message to dot hog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-09 12:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the link dot hog! I was just considering growing limes indoors...and you saved me some searching.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-11 1:09 pm   Permalink

ummm...move to Florida?

I just planted a Key Lime, Meyers Lemon, and Naval Orange in my backyard. They flowered and budded all through the 'harsh' Florida winter, lol.

Really though, citrus just needs lots of sun, water, and warmth. So if you could get a big enough pot, you could theoretically bring the small tree in during the winter. Of course you would then need some sort of lighting on it during the winter...

I know at Epcot Center (Disney) here in Florida, they have an area called The Land that has a huge hydroponic area with lemon trees. It basically just a climate controlled greenhouse.

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-11 6:51 pm   Permalink

Lets not forget all the insects that like to live in pots outside in the yard. Mainley large colonies of ants. You'd be bringing them into the house along with your plant.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-12 9:26 pm   Permalink

My dad has had major success w/his Florida souvenir lime, lemon and orange trees - he keeps them inside all winter and as soon as the weather breaks and we're sure of not having anymore snow or frost he wheels them outside. The bees pollinate the hell out of the things and by mid-June there are limes all over! The only problem I've noticed w/some of the super small limes the tree produces are that they are sour as hell...I know a lime is supposed to be sour but these are insane! The bigger ones tend to be bearable and my parents often times find them suitable for Corona's... from my experience they tend to be rather hearty but just remember not to leave them in the cold...that's a sure-fire way of knocking them off!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tinatinytiki

Posted: 2005-03-14 3:40 pm   Permalink

I live in Central/Northern Cali coastal mountains. I have had some success with the Bearass Lime. I have a dwarf tree in a pot. Dwarf is perhaps a euphemism as the tree is as big as me. While that is perhaps not a stretch it is still not a real small tree. I move it up under a covered deck for the winter as we do get rather sharp winters. If it gets *really* cold say 20's I break out the halogen lights and surround the deck pots with bubble wrap. It works, I get lots of nice limes

View Profile of tinatinytiki Send a personal message to tinatinytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation