[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Drinks served in pineapples
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Drinks served in pineapples
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-22 12:29 pm   Permalink

One year our Target store (Ohio) was selling pineapple plants in the houseplants section! Very interesting but haven't seen this since.

Someone gave me an African pineapple that is a smaller varietty (apple-sized). This might make and interesting shot-sized drink!

-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-12 04:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-21 22:04, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey pineapple people!

I got a strange thing happening. Any help would be cool. I have a small crown growing by itself 2 feet away from my other pineapple plantation(basically growing out of my white ginger roots). I did not plant it. It was burried in weeds. I thought they just grew from tops and stems????? Do they self root too?? I'm trippin!

First to answer ya Ben: The little I know about these plants I learned in Miami (well actually Florida City) when I helped my Ma do a 'plant run' up there for her landscaping biz. She took me around to a few very cool nurserys (including one called Going Bananas that had scores of strange varieties of bananas) and one we toured was a nursery that specialize in the plants known as bromeliads. Pineapples are a bromeliad which means like most bromeliads they are generally non-terrestrial, in other words they take root in trees. If you have been to tropical South America (where they originate, see the movie Hawaii ) you'll see bromeliads eveywhere in the trees. So they are quite aggresive to take root and generally they take years to flower which they do only once and then die. And that is all I know about that......

On another note, I had a debate with a bar owner frind of mine whilst in the Philippines as to the origins and correct way to make a Pina Colada. I did some net homework on the subject and serving them in hollowed pineappples is certainly the classic thing to do. As I found from this article which is worth a gander
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/humop/pinacoloda.cfm

Lastly, WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THESE PINEAPPLE CORING DEVICES?!

[ This Message was edited by: Rattiki on 2005-01-12 04:05 ]

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-12 04:13 am   Permalink

OK I answered my own question. This looks like a good source http://www.thegadgetsource.com/084256488225.html

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-01-12 4:28 pm   Permalink

I've seen the Pineapple Corers in several places...try any kitchen specialty store. They're easy and work great. Make sure to get the one with three sizes of corers, to better match the size of the pineapple.

My favorite part is letting the juices seep out into the shell after removing the rings. Mmmmmmm, fresh pineapple juice!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pink Pineapple

Posted: 2005-03-09 1:14 pm   Permalink

I live in the middle of the Midwest. Has anyone grown potted pineapples that they put outdoors as well as indoors?

If so, any tips?

View Profile of Pink Pineapple Send a personal message to Pink Pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 5:00 pm   Permalink

Hey, I thought this thread was about drinks served in pineapples! (Ok, so I'm trying to grow the top from this one as we speak)

Here's mine, and I just bought PAD so I should be able to do a MUCH better job with the garnish next time.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 5:59 pm   Permalink

Once the drink is in me, hasn't it already been served?

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 9:46 pm   Permalink

Got a ripe one that is going to be taste tested by Smogbreather tomorrow eve. Nothing like the taste of a homegrown pineapple with a little Shag with a Twist for a chaser.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation