Joined: Feb 15, 2003
From: San Diego, Ca.
|Posted: 2005-03-10 07:28 am  Permalink|
Today in 1880 members of the Salvation Army began operations in the US for the first time. Known for it's network of Thrift Stores, the Salvation Army is a quasi-military religious organization famous for it's prostletizing among alcoholics, drug addicts, prostitutes and other "undesirables" of society with whom the church refused to associate.
Other Historical Highlights:
- 1876 - Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call by saying "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."
- 1902 - A United States court of appeals rules that Thomas Edison did not invent the movie camera.
- 1913 - Harriet Tubman, Underground Railroad conductor, anti-slavery activist, Died (b. 1820)
- 1940 - Dean Torrence, musician ("Jan and Dean") was Born
- 1957 - Usama bin Laden was Born
- 1964 - The Mustang was first produced by Ford Motor Company.
- 1986 - Ray Milland, British actor, Died (b. 1907)
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S
[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-03-10 07:32 ]