FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Limited Edition Mugs - Enough already!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Limited Edition Mugs - Enough already!
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 11:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-10 20:47, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I for one am fairly neutral on this subject.

Me too.
If you really look at it.
ALL Tiki mugs are "temporary".
(You can easily say that if you live in eartquake (or Pop Quake") country.
I'm just enjoyin them Now.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-11 4:09 pm   Permalink

just thinking outloud here, but does anybody remember the "limited edition " beanie babies? TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Rod Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-11 4:40 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Hot Rod Tiki Send a personal message to Hot Rod Tiki  Email Hot Rod Tiki Goto the website of Hot Rod Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-11 4:46 pm   Permalink

Holden, I look forward your new mugs and am especially interested in seeing what the Don Ho pieces look like. I was looking at the Drei Moai wax sculpt and got to thinking. I don't recall ever seeing a white or off-white Tiki Farm mug. You should do a mug in off-white, the Drei sculpt looked pretty smoking.

You want to get a limited mug for a good price? Gecko still has some Mt Bumatays and Tangaroas. These are OUTSTANDING mugs and I can't believe they haven't all been sold yet. The Tangaroa sweats like a fat man when he's full of cocktail (the Tangaroa, not the fat man). It makes for a cool effect.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZdabigpuka

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-14 10:53 am   Permalink

I agree with some of the other posts, I collect what I like...if its still available. And I too am a fan of Tiki Farm and won't put them down at all! However, it seems that this thread and the other one about Tiki being underground or mainstream has something in common. There is a group of people here that seem to collect simply for the rarity--and there's really nothing wrong with that. It just seems to me that recently there's been a ton of "limited" mugs.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-14 3:22 pm   Permalink

I am still studying so my tiki collection is almost all thrift store. Sure it kinda sucks that i cant afford any cool vintage or limited edition mugs, but hey thats the way the cookie crumbles. If I had the cash I would, but I dont. So for now I will just look on in jealousy...

I look at some of the cool stuff on here and my mind races. Unfortuneately my wallet cannot keep up!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-14 7:42 pm   Permalink

kono, thanks for the tip, i thought i completely missed out on the gecko mugs, now due to your post they are on there way!!...and many mahalos to hot rod tiki for hookin me up with the drei moai which arrived safe and sound today.......the mug mana has been very good lately, first the speedboat moai, then drei moai, now the gecko masterpiece!!!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-15 06:36 am   Permalink

[/quote]

I revere these because of what they are - rare. I know that the Drei Moai, which I picked up yesterday, is only in the hands of 250 people in the world, which is pretty cool.

[/quote]

I think Tiki Matt just proved my comment that it's an attempt to make us feel special that we're one of 250 people to own the mugs. I should also admit that I am pretty impressed with the companies that make a limited mug and keep the price bellow $15. That takes some restraint.

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-15 09:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-11 16:09, TIKI DAVID wrote:
just thinking outloud here, but does anybody remember the "limited edition " beanie babies? TD

Remember?! I have all 562 variations!

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-15 1:51 pm   Permalink

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-15 1:59 pm   Permalink

The comparison to beanie babies is unfair I think. Take a mug like Munktiki's Speedboat Moai, the way it is hand made and with the detail it has not much more than 50 could be made. They could have (and did I guess) sew a million of those useless beenie things. Some of these limited edition mugs are hand made, beautiful works of art. If I didn't have a Speedboat Moai I'd be mad to.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-16 6:52 pm   Permalink

I think if you look at the higher # mugs of LTD editions, you'll notice they get a little soft. It is totally due to the # of impressions you can get from a mold. This was explained to me by the nice fellas at Munktiki! If you think about it, it's kind of common sense
mrs. p

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 07:37 am   Permalink

Well yeah, you'd have to make multiple molds and such. It's not a problem for the highly mass marketed mugs.

Maybe the beanie baby comparison is flawed, but it's somewhat appropriate. Perhaps the Dutch Tulip fad? You have to admit, it would be nice to see tiki mugs lining the hills... but I don't particularily care for the collapse of our economy over it. Okay, maybe that's not appropriate either.

Here's try number 3: Baseball cards! When we were kids they were popular, collected religiously by some and randomly by others. Then the limited edition sets started rolling out. Then every gas station and printing company made their own. Then they had to up the ante with autographed cards, cards with pieces of uniforms, cards with parts of balls and bats. Today, only those limited edition things are valuable... and not very valuable. The others are all worthless. Completely worthless. Oh well, if this is the way it goes, perhaps I can look forward to gaining that politiki set while for $1 a piece while the rest of you drool over the limited edition "Mcdonalds 2012 tiki set--with real chips off of the Easter Island statues built in the base."

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 08:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-17 07:37, Rorysm wrote:
Well yeah, you'd have to make multiple molds and such. It's not a problem for the highly mass marketed mugs.

It still is, if you look at the
Tepco Skull Mug thread where Holden says "They're pretty beat up and only in production molds as mentioned." Or in the "Skull Mugs and what to look out for" thread where you can see the devolution of the Skull Mugs from sharp & fairly angular to globby & sloppy as the old molds died & the masters got slowly less sharp.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 08:40 am   Permalink

Rorysm, LOL, yes real genuine synthetic chips from Easter Island! I can't wait to get the Hamburgler mug!!!!
As far as the other comment about being able to make only 50 mugs! Uuuuu....what? I would most certainly hope that more than one mold is made.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation