FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Limited Edition Mugs - Enough already!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Limited Edition Mugs - Enough already!
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 08:41 am   Permalink

Hey! where's the limited edition Gilligan's Island mugs?

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 09:52 am   Permalink

What the mass market mugs, baseball cards, beenie baby's and arguably the Tulips all are missing is hand made artistic quality, which is what I love about the mugs. The best quality stuff is usually in short number. Sure they could bang out a bunch of molds and milk each one to it's limit, plenty of mugs like that out there already. And they don't do much for me.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 3:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-17 07:37, Rorysm wrote:
Today, only those limited edition things are valuable... and not very valuable. The others are all worthless. Completely worthless.

*Really* old cards, like the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card, are still super-valuable.

Shop window in Cooperstown, NY

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-18 11:13 am   Permalink

McDougall, that implies that only short run mugs can be a cool design?

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-18 2:10 pm   Permalink

No, not at all. But I think the best made mugs are often done in short runs. A couple of dedicated artists will make a higher quality mug than a group of hired laborers.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-18 2:39 pm   Permalink

Well, there goes my concept of hiring a bunch of hobos to handmake crafts for me.

no idea what that means, I just like any oportunity to bring hobos into a conversation.

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-18 10:26 pm   Permalink

I'm curious - has there ever been any 'extremely limited' set of mugs sold?

Say a run of only 4 or 5, that sell at very high prices, like $400 each? I doubt that I would be interested in such a mug, but I'd be very curious to learn about the detailing or the special steps that would make such a mug so special.

Or how about even 'one-of-a-kind' mugs, which I guess would be like buying an original Shag painting or some other original piece of art.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-18 10:36 pm   Permalink

Munktiki made a one of a kind mug. It was on ebay a couple of years ago. It was a tumbler type mug, aqua in color with little skulls all over. I think it went for a little over $100. I wonder who has it???

[ This Message was edited by: Atomicchick on 2005-03-18 22:38 ]

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-19 07:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-18 22:26, ikitnrev wrote:
Or how about even 'one-of-a-kind' mugs, which I guess would be like buying an original Shag painting or some other original piece of art.

I've got about 1/2 dozen mug prototypes in my collection. Over the years, I've come across different artists that come out with "one offs" here and there. As a matter of fact, right now Gecko has a 'one-of-a-kind' scorpion bowl on eBay that he's not making a mold of, right here--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3964928163

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-19 10:56 am   Permalink

damn thats an awsome bowl....geckos stuff is always top notch though

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-19 5:34 pm   Permalink

Yup there are some mugs that there are only one of, cause I made some. But I too would be interested in the mugs that there are only 4 or 5 or 7 of. Cause its not fun unless people know about them and could possibly own one. Making one is one thing but making two, it is two mugs and a mold.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-20 07:54 am   Permalink

Alright, I'll say it here, but it will NOT be called limited edition. It will be called "I'm only making 200". They are a tribute to the owners of Minnie's Restaurant, Modesto, Ca., Peter and Stewart. The "I'm only making 200 Pika Kewalaka Mug". To debut (at the latest) at Tiki Oasis 5 for 29 clams (includes Ca. sales tax), shipping not included. It's my first, I have plans for others.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-20 09:00 am   Permalink

JT, lets see a pic of your creation of only 200!!!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-20 09:08 am   Permalink

OMG!! A mug for Minnies! How Cool! I hope the recommended drink for it is a "Jerk"!!

[ This Message was edited by: aquaorama on 2005-03-20 09:08 ]

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-20 12:34 pm   Permalink

JT- who made your mugs for you cause I would like some made for me. Someday.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation