FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A new Ebay record?!?!?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
A new Ebay record?!?!?
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 08:57 am   Permalink

The Maori Tiki Bob's mug went for $***.**.....well what I think is a new record for how much someone has paid for a mug! Does anyone find this just a tad ridiculous?!? I mean the mug is nice, but is it really worth all that $$$...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=722096886

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 09:28 am   Permalink

I think it is worth what ever you can afford to pay. Me, I went to 101.00 on it. I could have went more, but I did not want it that bad. Thats the most I have ever bid on any mug.

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 09:43 am   Permalink

Quote:
Does anyone find this just a tad ridiculous?!? I mean the mug is nice, but is it really worth all that $$$...

Well, I personally wouldn't spend that much on a mug but that's just because I'm cheap. For those however, who make a tidy income and have an abundant love for tiki then I can understand it. The only thing keeping me from attaining true rarities in my collection is $$$. My interest in the hobby is the same no matter what my income. Those who spend these enormous amounts for mugs just simply have more financial resource than you or I. To me, there's nothing wrong with that.

Personally, if I had $300.00 to blow on a Tiki Bob's mug, I would instead buy:

Trader Vic's Scorpion Bowl - $30.00
Trader Vic's Honi Honi Mug - $18.00
Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard Mug (repro) - $14.00
Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard Decanter (repro) - $17.00
Bosko Black Kumu Mug - $8.50
Munktiki Volcano Bowl - $42.00
Munktiki Zombie Mug - $18.00
Munktiki Evil Bastard - $20.00
Munktiki Uncle Shrunk - $18.00
Tiki Farm X-eyes - $13.50
Tiki Farm Bali Hai Shot Mugs - $17.50
Various Island Madness Mugs - $36.00 ($6.00ea)
Mai Kai Shrunken Head - $15.00
Mai Kai Chiki Tiki - $15.00
Mai Kai Moai - $15.00

Yes, you can buy all this stuff for the same price of what that mug sold for. Now, if I had a choice, I'd certainly take the "goody bag" listed above over the Tiki Bob's mug anyday. But then again, that's because my budget would force me to. If I could afford the TB mug, you better believe I'd take it. I still don't have that one in my collection!

BTW - If I'm not mistaken, I think the record for something on eBay was in the $440.00 - $450.00 range for a Kahiki Mystery Bowl by Hoffman Ceramics. Here is a pic:

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/kahiki/aaa

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-10-15 09:47 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 10:39 am   Permalink

Whoa! Makes me all the more thrilled I found mine for $8.00 at a local flea market!

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 10:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

BTW - If I'm not mistaken, I think the record for something on eBay was in the $440.00 - $450.00 range for a Kahiki Mystery Bowl by Hoffman Ceramics. Here is a pic:

Hey Pop, Sorry I missed you visit to Tonga, it slipped my addled mind, mainly becasue my pc crashed and I finally took it to the repair shop. Sounds like you had a good time, excellent!

The Kahiki Mystery Bowl went for $800+, purchased by one of our own Centralites. Most for a mug I can recall would be the "Elvis" Tiki Bob type mug ($1000 more or less?).

Tiki Bob rules, but for $300 not in my kingdom!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 12:02 pm   Permalink

Midnite,
Wish you were there. I did have fun meeting the SF Centralites at the Tonga. Also had fun hitting up all the tourist traps the Bay Area had to offer - including Lombard Street. I'll bet I drove right by your house!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 12:28 pm   Permalink

Well I thought this is how auctions go, the item gets sold for how much someone is willing to pay. There must have been someone else willing to pay up to $290 for him to get it at $294.

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:29 pm   Permalink

For those of you who want the Maori Tiki Bob's mug, someone else has posted one...hey, the buy now is only $300!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=724574689

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:34 pm   Permalink

How old do you reckon the 'Maori' Tiki Bobs is? It looks like the 70's judging by the writing on the back. (Perhaps).

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Double Crown
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:53 pm   Permalink

--I agree!!! I would much rather have this collection of new/repro mugs than that one old/vintage Tiki Bob's mug. I actually drink out of my mugs and I could actually use all of the mugs you mention below (good choices, by the way). The Tiki Bob's mug would just sit and gather dust and, personally, I just don't think it's as cool as many of the new/repro mugs out now.

Personally, if I had $300.00 to blow on a Tiki Bob's mug, I would instead buy:

Trader Vic's Scorpion Bowl - $30.00
Trader Vic's Honi Honi Mug - $18.00
Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard Mug (repro) - $14.00
Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard Decanter (repro) - $17.00
Bosko Black Kumu Mug - $8.50
Munktiki Volcano Bowl - $42.00
Munktiki Zombie Mug - $18.00
Munktiki Evil Bastard - $20.00
Munktiki Uncle Shrunk - $18.00
Tiki Farm X-eyes - $13.50
Tiki Farm Bali Hai Shot Mugs - $17.50
Various Island Madness Mugs - $36.00 ($6.00ea)
Mai Kai Shrunken Head - $15.00
Mai Kai Chiki Tiki - $15.00
Mai Kai Moai - $15.00

Sean
http://www.doublecrownrecords.com

View Profile of Double Crown Send a personal message to Double Crown  Email Double Crown Goto the website of Double Crown     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 6:04 pm   Permalink

Well, danlovestiki has shelled out $100 on several mugs lately and at least 1 other for $200+. Looks like he has spent over a grand this month on Ebay tiki. Yikes!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 6:28 pm   Permalink

Well, I guess Dan really does love tikis...
I love tikis too but, c'mon...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 10:32 pm   Permalink

Sigh...I wonder how much it would have gathered without me having published all the interesting Tiki Bob's info in the B.O.T.-

But then I remember that I wrote about this Mainlander mug going for over a hundred bucks in the book, so the e-bay inflation was already in full swing then...

Still, please note that 99% of the B.O.T. artifacts were gotten pre-ebay (I think the Ren Clark's Headhunter is one exception, right, Fatu Hiva?)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 11:26 pm   Permalink

I'm probably going to be getting another wave of hate messages comin at me for this, but I just don't see anything all that unusual about that mug going for $294.

What I mean is, I've been out in the field hunting mugs for almost ten years solid now.. I've never come across one of those. No one i know has ever come across one of those- I'm sure somebody *somewhere* has, but odds are, its not going to be you.. ever.

That being said, and it being a cool mug- what is getting one worth to a serious tikimug collector?

Consider this: I've seen 3 on Ebay since it began.. ever. Two I own, and then this one. And that's over, what, six YEARS of *EBAY* -the world's largest market of vintage goods? That spells R A R E to me. They aren't going to get any less rare, or cheaper, unless someone unearths a crate of them somewhere.. or everybody decides Tikimugs are stupid and don't care anymore. So... whats the verdict? As a serious tikmug collector, what would YOU do? Yes, you could tell yourself all kinds of things about why you don't need to pay that money, or it's not as magical as finding one for a quarter, blah blah, but that still doesnt change the fact that your collection is lacking a serious piece, now does it?

That's just my logic.. I remember people thinking I was mentally unstable buying mine for $80 apiece. About 2 years later, its tripled.. will it come back down? maybe.. will it become less rare? doubtful..
Is it the money I'm concerned about? no. It's that I have two sitting on my shelf. I ponied up the money a few years ago and never looked back.. maybe one day I'll superscore and find one somewhere, but then I'll be worried about getting hit by lightning on my way out of the store and getting bit by a shark next time I'm at the beach.

Am I trying to be a jerk? No. I'm just stating the reality as I see it- the rare mugs are becoming valueable, because they are RARE, and thus, there is an inherent value that goes along with it. Yes, you can lament the days of $2 mugs and 'gift mugs' and whatnot- but remember, those mugs werent the Maori Tiki Bob- if it was, you're lucky. But what if you want one and you're not one of the special people that luckout and find rare mugs lying around or have people give them to you?- how else would you get one other than to fight/pay for it?

Screw the S&P 500- Buy Tiki.

Thoughts anyone?

PS- where are my meds?

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-10-16 00:10 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 12:34 am   Permalink

dude your meds are missing again.
Come back to the light...
I'm usually at least partially with you, but you're acting like like good finds cant happen & that's just not true.

I dont know why you think you've seen every mug that has ever hit ebay, but I have seen at LEAST a dozen or so of that exact mug pass me by. (although this latest one WAS especially minty fresh)
Also, 10 years of hunting does not a "ever" make. Paitience prevails.
And I'm not interested in who has the biggest or most serious collection.
It's not how serious your tiki is, it's how you use it baby.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation