FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A new Ebay record?!?!?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
A new Ebay record?!?!?
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 07:23 am   Permalink

I saw a case of them the other day at "Big Lots" going for .99 cents each! I passed. Too much money.

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 07:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-15 23:26, fatuhiva wrote:
I'm probably going to be getting another wave of hate messages comin at me for this, but I just don't see anything all that unusual about that mug going for $294.

Well, I don't know about all you suckers, but every single tiki mug in my collection was a tax-free gift which cost me nuthin' at all. I didn't even have to spring for "thank you notes" and postage. Not even for the set of 6 Ren Clark Headhunter mugs given to me 27 years before The Book of Tiki was published. That's why my collection is so much better than everyone else's -- I paid the least of all of you suckers, AND I was into them when most of you posers were drinking formula out of plastic sippy-cups.

You people who buy your mugs for $1 or $2 at the thrift store are being taken for a RIDE. I would NEVER pay that much for a mug.

-Mike

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-10-16 09:25 am   Permalink

Mike,

I tell you what, if it makes you feel better about yourself, we'll believe you.

"Wow, you're the man!, we all want to pray to you. How did you get so smart? We're all such dumbshits!, we wish we could be like you, we wish we could vote as intelligently as you Florida voters, we wish we were as OLD as you since we were drinking formula when you began fiber therapy, please, oh please be our friend. Tell us more oh miser master."

So what if people want to pay "real" money for mugs, what the f&#* does it matter. Sounds more like you're envious of people with a) jobs other than flipping burgers, and b) money to spend on what they want.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-10-16 09:41 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 09:27 am   Permalink

"Also, 10 years of hunting does not a "ever" make. Paitience prevails. "

10 years isn't being "patient"?

come on now- what is ten years of your time worth to you?

I am not saying that good finds don't happen- sure they do. To somebody, somewhere. Like the guy that wins the $80million lotto jackpot- but that guy is most likely not going to be me on any given day. So if I was Joe tiki-collector and reeeally wanted that mug, I'd stay on my meds and keep myself mentally stable about the reality of just 'finding one' by considering just paying for it.

But that's me- if a person isn't comfortable with paying that kind of money for a mug, that's OK too- to each his own. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't see it as some horrible sin- it's just somebody who doesn't have the time or patience to go scouring thrift/antique shops for 13 years on the bad off-chance that they run into this mug for $5.. and they have a basic idea what all that time and effort and *luck* would be worth to them, so they pay to make it happen now.

Just like you can pay someone to put your sprinkler system in, or you can bust your back doing it yourself..

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-10-16 09:35 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 09:53 am   Permalink

fatuhiva,
I agree with you. The painful reality of collecting tiki or polynesian pop for that matter is that the vintage items so painfully desired are available in only limited quantities. And, as more people discover tiki and begin to collect these items, the rarity and its respective values increase.

As I've said before, I'm not the type that will spend the big bucks/no whammies prices of some ultra-rare mugs but that's just me. There's nothing wrong with spending the money on something you truly want to obtain. Especially if you believe it worth your time or luck in finding a "score."

Let's be honest - not even a Tiki Leilani mug is an easy find anymore.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-16 09:25, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Mike,

I tell you what, if it makes you feel better about yourself, we'll believe you.

Tiki-Bong,

I thought the absolute ridiculousness of my post would make the sarcasm clear, but I guess not. Thanks for editing your comment about my genitals, as I was getting worried about where or how you may have seen them to make such a remark (like those spam emails say, you just can't tell what information about you is out there on the net).

For the record, I think this discussion is pointless. Bob pays a million dollars for a Mai Kai chiki tiki mug and Sally buys the same one from the gift shop for $5. Who cares? If you don't like the price, don't buy it. For some people it's about the hunt, others it's about obsessively acquiring every mug ever made no matter the cost. If it makes some of you feel superior to spend less money on mugs, great. If it makes others feel more superior to outspend everyone else, wonderful.

And if you were into tiki 10 years ago, then rock on with your primitive self. If you got into it yesterday, welcome aboard, and please don't bid against me on eBay.

Now please excuse me while I go look over my sample ballot again. Where the hell is Jimmy Carter on this thing?

-Mike

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 10:51 am   Permalink

I've said it before;
Spend all you want! I sell stuff for a living, so I dont begrudge ANY big spenders.

For me personally, I just cant do it.

I guess it's more the thrill of the hunt for me. If I had every tiki mug ever made, would I be happy?
Doubt it.
Could I ever be able to sit back, relax & marvel at my tiki collection that I paid $30,000+ for on ebay?
Double doubt it.
For me, it's more fun to aquire stuff a bit at a time than "I gotta have it right now & I'll pay anything to get it!"
I'd be more inclined to take the same money & travel to Hawaii & Tahiti & Bora Bora & actually "live it".

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-10-16 11:54 am   Permalink

Mike,

You need to work on the 'delivery' of things humorous/sarcastic. Your post didn't quite work out. But then I guess practice makes perfect so ...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-16 10:51, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
I'd be more inclined to take the same money & travel to Hawaii & Tahiti & Bora Bora & actually "live it".

I would love to do that! But in reality I probably couldn't get the time off from work

It seems I pay more for my mugs than everyone on this list (but not as much as Dan!) I could hunt and scout around my area for years and NEVER run across a tenth of the mugs that are available on eBay right now. I tend to be alittle more selective because if I really want it I'm willing to pay for it, but because of my limited income I will only bid on the mugs that I really like not neccessarily {sp?} just to get the rarest... blah, blah, blah

[ This Message was edited by: tikimug on 2002-10-16 12:08 ]

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 3:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Bong wrote:
Mike,
You need to work on the 'delivery' of things humorous/sarcastic. Your post didn't quite work out. But then I guess practice makes perfect so ...

Mike, we're tuned into irony here, so I heartily enjoyed your post. Humour at it's best hits targets at their narrowest.

I'd like to also point out that the rare mugs are being produced today in their limited quantities by the folks we all know and love. Even the 'rarest' of mugs produced commercially for Tiki Bars were in quantities that far outstrip the limited editions by Bosko, MunkTiki, and Tiki Farm.

To go to the effort to get a mug designed for a particular bar costs a lot of money. Only someone with zero experience of the bar trade would then go on to order a mere 200 of that mug.

So, these may seem rare because they aren't popping up on eBay too often, but they are out there in far greater quantities than most of the limited editions made in the second wave of Tiki. A decade from now and you'll be cursing the day you didn't buy a mug readily available from our pals!!

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-10-16 15:54 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 10:31 pm   Permalink

Aloha Ku's and Wahines,
You guys crack me up. I love to drop in on your conversations about mugs. It trips me out that you's all get so freaked out about a glazed ceramic item. I was digging around in my grandfather's portfolio (Eli Hedley) looking for tiki mugs but all I came up with were blue prints and contsruction pics of all the bars and restaurants that he decorated that all these mugs came out of. Geez, I wish there was at least one mug in a pic! I have a good one of him and Don Beach hanging out at the Luau pre-tiki mug, drinking out of clear glass. Here's one for you hunter's. A blue martini gobblet that is waxed into a cork float. Eli made these back in the 40's. They came in a crate built out of driftwood. 5 per crate. Sam Goldwin(sp?) of MGM ordered 500 crates for x-mas one year! There has to be a few of these laying around. They were made from saki bottles. Help out a bro and find one for me. I'll pay or trade you a tiki bar or what not!

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 10:50 pm   Permalink

hmmmm... a floating tiki mug..... hmmm..... if Munktiki beats me to it at least I acknowledged how f'in cool it is that Ben's gramps did it first!....hmmm..... A FLOATING TIKI MUG! "Hey Sweetie, do me a favor and top off that Lapu Lapu and stick it in the pool and backwards dog paddle in my direction for about 30 seconds - love you babe!".
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-16 11:41 pm   Permalink

"big bucks/no whammies"

hahaha hey somebody other than myself remembers that frikkin gameshow..

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-17 08:05 am   Permalink

A "real" cork fishing float. He used blue & green saki bottles. Cut the necks off (the old way by using a sting wrapped around it with lamp oil and lighting it) then they went upside down in the float. A hard wax was used to fill the bottom. My mother said they made thousands of em'. She said she would hide in the heaps of fish net so she wouldn't have to "hand sand" the edge of the glass! This is back in the 40's.

TikiMikey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-17 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-16 10:16, TheMuggler wrote:
I thought the absolute ridiculousness of my post would make the sarcasm clear...

It was crystal clear to me. And darn funny too!

View Profile of TikiMikey Send a personal message to TikiMikey  Email TikiMikey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation