[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mai Tai Restaurant in Indianapolis
Remove Highlighting
Mai Tai Restaurant in Indianapolis
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-12 6:26 pm   Permalink

I've finally bought a halfway decent digital camera so now I can post pics of some of my collection and have the items actually be visible.

I found these about 6-9 months ago in an antique store. Two rocks glasses, one marked "Mai Tai Restaurant, Indianapolis, Indiana" and the other simply "Mai Tai." I was wondering if anyone else has anything from or any knowledge of this establishment.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-13 11:16 am   Permalink

Very cool glasses. I had seen a matchbook of this place before. The interesting thing is that the Tiki is based on a Witco Tiki, but the hut rendering, and the style of the typeface, is swiped from The Tahitian (BOT p.152).

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-03-16 9:55 pm   Permalink

If anyone can come up with an address for this we can check out what remains very soon.

I'm not having much luck.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 08:07 am   Permalink

Matchbook says 3815 North Shadeland. Also had or was the Kahuna Lounge.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 09:24 am   Permalink

I will be in Indy on April 21-24.
I will do a drive-by.

My guess is that the palce lasted at least into the 1980s.
Theat angular yellow lettering in the one picture looks like it came right off of an Oingo Boingo record! Like so totally 80s. Fer shure.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 11:44 am   Permalink

The location is at the corner of N. Shadeland & E. 38th St., just south of E. Pendleton Pike. This is on the East side of Indy a little north of I70.

James, you'd come down on I65, go around town on I465 & exit at Pendleton Pike, you head West to Shadeland & make a Left, the location is one block South on Shadeland.

A Google search says this is now Steve Anderson's AOK Karate School.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-03-17 11:52 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 4:12 pm   Permalink

I look forward to what you find James, just don't mess with the karate people.

Sven, can you get a scan of the matchbook by any chance?

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-03-18 6:15 pm   Permalink

Address, directions, karate school (i.e. be prepared for some disappointment) Tiki Central once again proves it can do just about anything!

You folks are truely amazing!

Mahalo!

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 4:53 pm   Permalink

I had seen a menu from the Mai Tai on ebay several years ago that was a blatant knock-of of the classic menu from the Tahitian restaurants located in Pasadena and Studio City. I had always wondered where the Mai Tai was located then I saw a pic of the matchbook and that lead me to this post.

Here is the knock off menu

And the real thing.

The matchbook.

PTD also posted these coasters some time back.

They borrowed everything from the Tahitian - the font, the hut and the Bumtay Tiki.

TTT

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-10-28 13:54 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 5:44 pm   Permalink

Kono ...awesome looking glasses .I like the silhouette of the A frame building depicted .
The tiki on the glass kinda looks like Witco.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 6:48 pm   Permalink

Indeed! See Tiki Modern page 204

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-27 09:16 am   Permalink

I was looking through my matchbooks and noticed this one from the Kahuna restaurant that was also the Mai Tai.

Here is a comparison of the back of the Mai Tai and Kahuna matchbooks.

I am thinking that the restaurant started out as the Kahuna and changed to the Mai Tai with the Kahuna Lounge to sound a little more mainstream.

Here is the matchbook.

Anybody ever hear of a Polynesian "Tiri" God before?

This one even has a grass hut with palm trees hair-do!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-27 2:12 pm   Permalink

So, this is the place that was also known as "Knobby's" Mai Tai. I had posted these mugs a while back on Tiki Finds and was wondering where they came from.

I came across this ad online with Knobby's Mai Tai and Kahuna Lounge listed in the title.

The owner was William A. "Knobby" Knoll who also ran a chain of Knobby's restaurants. He passed away in 2010.

DC

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation