Joined: Feb 15, 2003
From: San Diego, Ca.
|Posted: 2005-03-14 08:14 am  Permalink|
First off, this has nothing to do with the Secret Pie Conneseur's Conspiracy, it has to do with sections of circles. March 4th is designated Pi Day since it matches the standard 3-digit aproximation od Pi: 3.14. Most College & Univercity Math Departments celibrate it with a party one minute before 2 PM (3.14159, get it?). The happy Mathamaticians eat PIe, drink PIña coladas & play with PIñatas.
Other Historical Highlights:
- White Day (Japan) - Today's also a Marketing Holiday in Japan where men send marshmallows & white chocolate to the women who sent them chocolates fro Valentines day.
- Commonwealth Day (UK) - The annual celebration of the Commonwealth of Nations where the Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth Secretary-General and the Commonwealth High Commissioners All attend a multi-faith service in Westminster Abbey.
- 1794 - Eli Whitney (no relation to Bamboo Ben) is granted a patent for the cotton gin (no relation to the Gin Martini).
- 1879 - Albert Einstein, physicist, winner of the Nobel Prize in physics 1921, is Born (d. 1955)
- 1923 - Pete Parker (no relation to Spiderman) does the first-ever complete radio broadcast of a hockey game in the world, in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- 1933 - Michael Caine, British actor, is Born.
- 1947 - Billy Crystal, American actor, comedian, is Born.
- 1976 - Busby Berkeley, choreographer, director, Died (b. 1895)
- 1994 - Linux kernel version 1.0.0 is released.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S