FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiburon Tommies, Tiburon, California ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiburon Tommies, Tiburon, California ?
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-23 2:46 pm   Permalink

Apricot brandy in their MaiTai? Maybe not such a bad thing it's been bulldozed.

Just kidding, sorta.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-23 3:11 pm   Permalink

Did I read that menu right that they had shots of Tio Pepe Sherry for .75 cents? Hell, I'd of drank nothing but that.

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 07:47 am   Permalink

I remember that place from back in the 70's - I was all over Marin back then in my college days. The place was a real happening place, right there at the water's edge I remember and it was huge right? They had some seating in the back right on the water. I remember going there a few times, but I don't remember much more. The construction was wood with big wood structural poles inside.
Here's another real obscure place I remember - when I was a little kid in the early late 50's early 60's my uncle ran a bar on Columbus Avenue, North beach, San Franciso. A little place on a funny triangular property - it was called 'the Beer Keg'. It had thatching I think, some tikis, nautical stuff, fish nets, a wood floor but mostly I remember tons of those metal beer kegs all over the place; I think they used them for seats; and there were little wooden round tables. I just saw the place a few times when we visited my uncle there. For years after it closed my uncle had tons of big metal beer kegs stored everywhere in his garage. North beach was cool back then (still is) there were lots of funny little beatnik bars all over in alleys and stuff and quite a bit of tiki.

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sagetiki

Posted: 2006-12-08 12:59 am   Permalink

The critiki mentioned, "It's not clear when it opened (apparently sometime in the 1970s)" ~ as a child of the 60s who went to innumerable wedding receptions at Tiburon Tommie's, I can tell ya it was booming as early as the mid 60s.

There was a banquet room upstairs and after the adults were all busy doing all the things adults do at a wedding reception, quiet children could sneak downstairs unobserved by their already Mai Tai-plied parents and visit with the friendly staff, roam the building, wander the docks, and still make it back upstairs before the cake was cut...

I don't remember there NOT being a Tiburon Tommie's growing up. My dad was a gregarious, loveable drunk who made friends with restaurant owners and bar keeps up and down Hwy. 101. He took me to Tiburon Tommie's sometimes just to "visit." I remember a great frothy orange drink they'd make for me.

Tiburon Tommie's is a place my partner has heard me talk about over the years and hoped to get to visit with me some day. Thanks to Critiki and this bb, I was at least able to revisit in my memories.

Long live the memory of Tiburon Tommie's!

View Profile of sagetiki Send a personal message to sagetiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 9:23 pm   Permalink

One more time, the bootyful big postcard from T.T.'s -this thread deserves more visuals:

back of the postcard:

...and the front of the postcard:

...and here is where I got my info from (unfortunately, the date is cut off!):

(...damn' could not figure out how to get this bigger!)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-01-06 21:36 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-29 4:00 pm   Permalink

Damn Bigbro, that is one awesome postcard. Never seen that before.

I picked up a Tiburon Tommie's menu with a date of 1990 on the back, so it must have been towards the end.

The used the old menu and just pasted over the prices.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-30 08:13 am   Permalink

Here is the matchbook from Tiburon Tommie's from the Mai Tai era.

And a link to a Marin Nostalgia website that has some great old photos from Tiburon Tommie's.

http://www.marinnostalgia.org/spotlight/restaurants/restaurants/tiburontommies.html

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-30 10:41 am   Permalink

The tikis in the front of Mark Walsh's office at Pixar are from Tiburon Tommies.
Mark was in the right spot at the right time.
Pics here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150359687411240.397916.679291239&l=6374a1bc6f&type=1

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-27 08:28 am   Permalink

Found this photo of the Tiburon Tommies building nearing the end.

DC

xcemma

Posted: 2014-08-12 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-19 14:01, Molokai Mike wrote:
The first Tiki restaurant I ever visited , upon my arrival on these shores, was Tiburon Tommies in Tiburon. It closed in the early '90's.
I have never come across any photos or mug / menu details. Does anyone remember this place ? Does anyone have any pics they could post? Did they ever have their own mugs? Just curious...

Check out this site!
http://critiki.com/location/?loc_id=578 They have menus and pictures! This was my great-grandfather's resturant, he even passed down the delicious mai tai recipe to my dad!

View Profile of xcemma Send a personal message to xcemma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation