[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Bandsaw Bites
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bandsaw Bites
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2005-04-05 09:37 am   Permalink

Hi Ben,

Just checking to see if that pesky nail has come off yet.

I thought you might appreciate the similar problems I encountered while carving tikis in the Amazon Jungles of Peru.

Here I am getting ready to carve with my trusty CAIMAN-22B.

These beauties are great for making deep cuts in logs. They are surprisingly sharp as well and can do detail work in a pinch.

Unfortunately, they also have a lot of torque and can spin free if you don't hold them with an extremely firm grip. That's what happened to me with this one. I let it get away from me during an intense carving session:

Clean slice to the bone up to the first knuckle. Split the nail cleanly as well, right down to the bone. I was lucky. No major nerve or tendon damage. But I couldn't play volleyball for a few weeks.

Because the nail-bed itself was damaged, my fingernail now grows with a pronounced ridge down its length. Left me with a gnarly scar.

Here is my uncle with some of our finer carving tools, used for detail work. Mostly PIRANHA-5's and 6's.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-04-05 09:39 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-05 10:23 am   Permalink

Hey Sabu, thats a pretty cool tool and I realy like the fine detail ones. I could ues the #6 and #7 for my work. Your bite looks nasty. When the nail is cut or torn it hurts more.
I only lost a match-head size chunk from the middle of the nail. It's doing fine now tho

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yumyumkid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-05 2:46 pm   Permalink

Hey Tiki G, I missed this question before. Just type "cut resistant glove" into your search engine. They are normally used in food service kitchens. I know of two kinds: the chain mail and the nylon/mesh kind. We have a few of the mesh ones at my work and I thought it was a joke when I saw them. I put a carrot into the finger part of the glove and started sawing away with a buther knife. I didn't punture the glove at all.

I can grip stuff pretty good with the chain mail glove and it is pretty comfortable. I wood recommend either one for hand carving but I don't know if I would wear one when working with power tools. The glove itself could get wrapped up in a spinning (insert instrument of pain here). On a side note these will protect you from a slashing/cutting motion, not a stabbing motion. I didn't try it, but I'm guessing you would feel some pain if your hand was stabbed. Hope this helps.

View Profile of yumyumkid Send a personal message to yumyumkid  Email yumyumkid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation