FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Warehouse's spiffed up cocktail menu?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Warehouse's spiffed up cocktail menu?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-21 4:43 pm   Permalink

I heard some talk that Burt Hixson's Warehouse in Marina Del Rey has updated their tropical cocktail menu. There was mention of things like a Monkeybowl (being held up by 3 monkeys!?) and other drinks involving dry ice! Could some Tiki-savy explorer confirm and elaborate on this? Who will take on this mission from Tiki?

It is also high time that someone posts some pics of the magical exterior of this classic Trader style structure and it's faux pier landscaping!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-21 5:11 pm   Permalink

Here are some pictures from a recent visit to the Warehouse:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/thewarehouse/

Indeed, we noticed that the drink menu seemed to have improved significantly. We noted lots of use of dry ice and Cruzan Black Strap (which I happen to think is yummy, but needs to be used very carefully). If I recall correctly, the drink I had was called a Monsoon, and I was terrifically pleased with it. We're not talking Tiki-Ti quality here, of course, but it was a definite improvement. Didn't get a lot of pics of the exterior during this trip. The drinks were all served in tiki mugs, which could be purchased separately, there was a nice display case up front.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:09 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-17 2:36 pm   Permalink

Bump
I visited the Warehouse for the first time last week. Very cool place Burt Hixson built there!

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-16 11:42 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-17 2:56 pm   Permalink

Great pics! Thanks for posting!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 11:39 am   Permalink

Yesterday we had drinks and appetizers for happy hour here at the Warehouse. The shrimp and scallop scampi were great and the shrimp coctail. Crab Rangoon good but Trader Vic's is better. I had their Mai Tai which they are apparently proud of. "It's made with grenadine like the Royal Hawaiian version that is the original Mai Tai" , I plan to return with the proper ingredients as the bartender wants to have a taste off with me, this should be fun. I got the Warehouse mug and after 4pm until 6pm the happy hour menu at $5.00 each can't be beat. At $3.50 for a Mai Tai during happy hour and the great food and view, I'll put up with the drinks until we can all teach them to make a proper Mai Tai.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-11 19:12 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 3:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-28 11:39, Ojaitimo wrote:I had their Mai Tai which they are apparently proud of. "It's made with grenadine like the Hawaiian version that is the original Mai Tai" [snip] I'll put up with the drinks until we can all teach them to make a proper Mai Tai.

That's funny because I was there just 2 weeks ago to have lunch...and my Mai Tai did not have any grenadine in it and was rather good. Though it was served in that tall curvy glass that the Tropical Itch usually comes served in.

I tell 'ya though...I experienced some of the worst service there during my lunch that I've ever experienced anywhere in my life. From reception to seating to initial waiter ("initial" because I got eventually another one). Either total confusion or indifference on the part of most of the staff (of which there were a lot of!). Took about 3 minutes just to get acknowledged when I arrived, and it was a young manager that came out of an office that finally asked if he could help me. "Ah. Yes. I kinda thought I'd like to EAT here." He passed me off to one of the loafing staff and they sat me way in the back. There wasn't anyone else around, other than a large Japanese tour group in the next room.

And there I waited.

And waited.

Finally a waiter (not my assigned one) came by and asked if anyone had served me yet. I said no and he went off to find my waiter. Like 5 minutes more went by and I was just about to get up and leave when the same guy came back astonished that still no one had taken my order as he had told my assigned waiter I was back there! He just shook his head and said, "Well...the heck with it. I'm your waiter now."

And he was great. Miguel. Had my Mai Tai (Tai and a half, really...as he brought me a glass of extra slop) in minutes, and that delicious (and potent) drink had me on the way to relaxing and forgiving all.

Kudos to the kitchen staff too. I ordered the New York Strip Steak Sandwich, and everything about it was great and it was served promptly, hot, and perfectly prepared and delicious!

But no grenadine in My Tai. If I had seen any...I would have sent it back!

BTW...touring the place that afternoon, there was a carpenter working on the main downstairs bar and lounge. Sawdust and tools everywhere. So I think they were in the process of sprucing up the place a little.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 6:36 pm   Permalink

It could be that I'm spoiled on my choice of Mai Tai recipes. I make mine from the Grog Log with Marie Brizard curacao not triple sec like they do. The Warehouse version was way too sweet with hardly any lime juice and the grenadine is in the mix according to the day bartender. I'll let you all know how the taste off goes. I'm not bagging on the Warehouse as I love the food and decor, would just like to see the drinks improve as I like going there.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-01 08:19 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 7:44 pm   Permalink

Ojaitimo, you are such a good photographer, I enjoy watching your pictures on TC. As for The Warehouse, I have been going there for years. Sometimes the drinks are great and the food is good and sometimes..... You just never know at this place. In general the Mai tai is not good but a strong one or two does the trick, we usually tell the bartender to at least make them strong. I like all the bamboo around the outside. They must be at least 50 years old, nice and tall.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-28 15:24, PremEx wrote:
I tell 'ya though...I experienced some of the worst service there during my lunch that I've ever experienced anywhere in my life.

I agree. We went there recently and not only was I underwhelmed by the drinks and food, but especially the service. In fact, for the price, the service stank. Our reservation basically meant nothing.

Nice decor. However, I would not go back.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 08:27 am   Permalink

Thanks Hiltiki, I enjoy sharing my pictures with all of you. The bamboo is cool and at first I was put off by the carving but it shows the history.

I wish more people would post their photos as there are many places around the world we could all enjoy. Premex, thanks for your photos especially of Don the Beachcomber in Maui that I was sad to hear is a shell of its former self.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-02 13:34 ]

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 08:35 am   Permalink

I returned to the Warehouse today and spoke with the bartender about Mai Tai's. He also confirmed they use grenadine in the mix and triple sec. A man sitting at the bar overheard our conversation. " Did I hear a Mai Tai recipe being discussed? The bartender introduced Lee who has owned the Warehouse for 10 years since he bought it from Burt Hixson. " We use Trader Vic's original recipe for our Mai Tai's here that we got off the internet" I replied "Not according to the Grog Log if you use grenadine and triple sec" I went out to my car and returned with a bottle of Marie Brizard curacao that I poured straight for both of them.
" Thats the taste from Traders Mai Tai's I couldn't place before, that is good. Lets start using curacao in ours." Lee was very nice and I wanted to tell him about the poor service that some of you have experienced but I thought it best to wait for another time. They also had a great band playing in the lounge from 6pm on and my second Mai Tai compliments of Vic now with curacao along with the great food and music, made for a memorable evening.Anyone up for a friday night happy hour TC gathering soon?

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-14 20:47 ]

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 1:48 pm   Permalink

I should be fair about these Mai Tai's. I spent a little time researching them today. Not only did Trader Vic and Don Beachcomber claim inventing it and end up in court over it but the Royal Hawaiian also claims it was invented there with a big band leaders hand?. So who knows. The Bali Hai San Diegos version like the Royal Hawaiian uses grenadine and though I prefer Trader Vic's version, the one they serve at the Warehouse is growing on me.

Life is a state of mind

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-12-02 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-02 13:48, Ojaitimo wrote:
... The Bali Hai San Diegos version like the Royal Hawaiian uses grenadine ...

???
The last Mai Tai I had at the Bali Hai did not have grenadine in it.
From their drink menu it says:

Coruba Jamican Dark Rum
Ron Rico Light Rum
Orgeat Syrup
Orange Liqueur
Sweet and Sour

Not that I would order another one but has the Bali Hai recently changed their recipe to use grenadine?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 5:58 pm   Permalink

What amazing photos and stories! I had no idea there was anything this cool in Marina Del Rey and now I have to go visit this place!

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-03 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-01 08:27, Ojaitimo wrote:
Thanks Hiltiki, I enjoy sharing my pictures with all of you. The bamboo is cool and at first I was put off by the carving but it shows the history.

You are right, Ojaitimo, carving on palm trees is disrespectful and completely inappropriate. Worse than tagging on a bathroom stall - atleast that can be repainted.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation