FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Book of Tiki at Old Navy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Book of Tiki at Old Navy
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 12:05 pm   Permalink

TeaKey, how old are you? Father knows best, you know. And I am sure he is speaking from experience.
I wish they had used Old Navy black bars, that would've been funnier. The images were simply replaced, not altered.

I was thinking about what TikiDavid was thinking out loud, and...

Yes, I hang my head in shame, just like for other censored American auteurs like James Joyce, Henry Miller or Lenny Bruce, this will be the death stab to my career.
It's all over, Baby Blue...Sigh, it was nice while it lasted.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 07:32 am   Permalink

Bought some of the note cards yesterday. They're really nice. Our Old Navy didn't have the mini-BOT though.

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Neptune Wahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-26 08:14 am   Permalink

We love our Tiki Style book especially since we got it from Big Bro in Daytona hot off the press. THANKS!!!!It is not the BOT, but it introduces the rest of the world to vintage --- and hopefully people will think twice before destroying these fine landmarks. The ones that are left anyway! That is pretty funny about the censorship! I guess bare breasts just wouldn't fly at Old Navy! Ha-Ha!

View Profile of Neptune Wahine Send a personal message to Neptune Wahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ietiki909

Posted: 2005-03-26 6:09 pm   Permalink

I was finally able to get a copy today. Neptune Wahine is right, censored or not it does bring more light to tiki landmarks and just maybe someone will think twice before another one disappears.

View Profile of ietiki909 Send a personal message to ietiki909  Email ietiki909     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 1:55 pm   Permalink

Thank you guys for your support, I appreciate it, really. I agree with you. The Navy Icon will get the word out to people who would not hear/see it otherwise. Allow me to clarify one thing for those here that are concerned:

I am not seriously outraged that the Tiki Icon was "censored". I actually think it is tres cool. I am merrily playing with the clichee of "Censorship", just like with other "serious" terms in the BOT. I think the whole thing is truly hilarious, yet another funny twist in the neverending pop entertainment offered by Tiki, god of the artists.

These days, there are issues of impending censorship out there that are much more real and serious than what happend to this lil' tome. It is but a drop in the bucket of media control, a silly little sidenote in history.

Those of us here that love irony and artifice may enjoy buying a copy of this "Tiki Icon- The CENSORED version" purely for those reasons, as an ironic joke, but I am not seriously enticing anybody to get it, I sure am not making a dime on it.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-27 14:03 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 6:39 pm   Permalink

Sven,

don't you know that boobs (or more correctly, images of boobs) are the single reason for the downfall of western civilization? Just think how great life would be if everything was censored: no war, no violence, no crime, no single mothers, no impure thoughts. Enron would still be a great place to work. Martha never would have gone to jail. Little Timmy never would have dropped out of school and the homeless would be yachting in South Beach.

ahhh... one can dream...

I'm off to burn my Beatle records

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 8:33 pm   Permalink

Zombie, what are you talking about. I couldn't read your actually message cause it was censored from my computer. Zombie your in the record business, what are your views of burning CDs.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 8:36 pm   Permalink

Book of Tiki=war Tiki Style=no war. I'm a peace loving man but let there be war.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-31 4:04 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Style/BOT got a mention in DebL's "Barfly" column of this weeks South Bay Easy Reader:

Gap-uritan VS Abercrombie & Filth:
"Taschen is publishing two scaled-down versions of its classic “The Book Of Tiki,” by Sven Kirsten, one available at bookstores, the other, an edited version, at Old Navy - the Gap-owned chain removed all images of full-frontal nudity. By contrast, Abercrombie & Fitch is said to have turned down the book because there wasn’t enough nudity. Makes me change where I want to shop Sarah Jessica Pilgrim..."

I don't quite get the way she signs off (Does she like it edited or no?), but is this true about A&F?

Regardless, I'm excited to see the BOT in my local Thursday freebie paper (even if it is in the column usually reserved for info about what's happening at all the bars in the area over the weekend).
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-10 6:43 pm   Permalink

I was in the Gap today (remember the good ol' days when the Gap was 100% BLUE? anyway...) and I saw a little kids' size 4T Aloha Shirt for sale. the print was the same as page 68 in BOT (or page 69 in Old Tiki Navy Style) and was discussed Here as the answer to Sven's trivia question. Seems that they're getting as much mileage out of the BOT as they can.

I'm gonna get the shirt for my nephew for his birthday, but I sure wish they had an adult size too!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-24 6:55 pm   Permalink

Here's the above mentioned shirt:

Detail:

does it look familiar?

-Z

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 12:14 am   Permalink

Wow, that is so cool! With the Tahitian Cannibal Carvings right on the front! And they don't make it in XL !!? Arrgh!

You know, I can not claim BOT origin on this alone, the Beachcomber menu is a fairly common paper ephemera item. I usually have to find two or more images from the book merchandised by the same source, (ideally one of them NOT available anywhere else but in the book), THEN I can say ha ha, send me some.

Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 07:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-25 00:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
I usually have to find two or more images from the book merchandised by the same source...

But The Gap & Old Navy are the same company... and wasn't this image used in the note card set? or am I drunk and confused?

My point is, it just makes sense that their designers/buyers have access to the BOT because they sell it. That said, I say we start a campaign to get adult sizes.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-04-25 07:33 ]

floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 12:50 pm   Permalink

I was in an Old Navy store on the Santa Monica Promenade yesterday and got the last copy of "Tiki Style" they had. I couldn't believe my good fortune. They had many copies of another Icon book called, "Seaside Style" or something like that, but the Tiki book was all gone.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-26 11:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-25 07:27, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

...and wasn't this image used in the note card set? or am I drunk and confused?

Fraid so, because it wasn't. But it is not really bad to be drunk and confused on TC.

Quote:

That said, I say we start a campaign to get adult sizes.

Why would they give us adult sizes if they deny us adult imagery !?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation