Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » mug help
mug help
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 7:23 pm   Permalink

My husband and I just got back from a couple of days trip across IN. and OH. We had stopped in this little antique shop and found this mug sitting on the shelf. Nobody there knew where it came from. The mug kept reminding me of something I'd seen before. Sure enough on page 176 in BOT is a picture of the mug, but with Aku tiki lounge on the back. Mine has SAIL ON SIGMA 1982. All I can make out on the bottom is made in USA. Any info out there?
Thanks

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 7:31 pm   Permalink

I have one that says something like "Consolidated Industries, Inc" (or similar boring manufaturing name) on the back. These were obviously available from a promotions company, the type that puts your logo on a squeezey bottle or fridge magnet. Your mug was most likely from a sorority luau-themed formal dance.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 7:33 pm   Permalink

Check out page 20 of Tiki Quest.

-Amy

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 05:12 am   Permalink

My parents got me a mug exactly like that one customized with a surf shop logo from Florida. I know that a lot of screen printing companies offer this mug available for customization to fraternities, sororities and other organizations for specific events. I recently read where one of our own TC ohana, Unkle John, is getting these made up for his 30th Birthday!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 09:00 am   Permalink

Mine says "Alpa Phi, jungle Phiver '81" and has a picture of a lion on the back. I have seen a couple other variations on ebay. My glaze is lighter also I think.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 10:10 am   Permalink

I've got an all white one from, of all places: Branson, Missouri ("Playground of the Ozarks")!

Yup, nuthin' sez tiki like the color pic of a log cabin silkscreened on the back...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 10:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-28 05:12, johntiki wrote: I know that a lot of screen printing companies offer this mug available for customization to fraternities, sororities and other organizations for specific events.

Exactly. We had some made in 2000 for our wedding guests (hence the white mug) and had our logo put on the back. There are original vintage OMC mugs in that style that can be found. They have a little more detail, are slightly smaller, and have more pronounced breasts. I don't think I've ever seen a vintage example in a color other than black.

Also, I always thought that Ryden used that mug design as inspiration for the two Tikis (either side of the door, by the bridge) on the cover of the Martin Denny 2 cd set by Capitol.

-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 11:19 am   Permalink

You can one such company here: http://www.promotionalproducts.net/drinkware_tiki.htm

I was thinking of using them for my 30th b-day mug, but it looks like no one is interested. We'll see. Check tiki events.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John on 2005-03-28 11:21 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation