FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 07:46 am   Permalink

God - that would be great... But if you knew what it took to get permission to make full size drummers off the original molds, I wouldn't hold my breath for the guys in the middle... It would be awesome though!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2006-04-10 7:32 pm   Permalink

Just got the Disney Shopping.com magazine in the mail...It doesn't really look like HumuHumu in the Enchanted Tiki Room dress (on page 75) though..???

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 09:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-10 19:32, SoccerTiki wrote:
Just got the Disney Shopping.com magazine in the mail...It doesn't really look like HumuHumu in the Enchanted Tiki Room dress (on page 75) though..???

That's because it's not!

Unfortunately they took the catalog photos before Humu got invited to model the dress - too bad!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 09:53 am   Permalink

Yeah, it's a funny story, here's the abridged version:

The fellow at Disney in charge of all the catalog photography was using a picture of me in the dress -- a picture he thought was a vintage '60s photo -- as reference, and he became (in his words) "obsessed" with recreating the look. He scoured through all their modelling agencies trying to find someone who looked like me. It was only after the photography was done with the other model that he learned that the photo of me was from modern day. He was so thrilled to discover that I was available -- and that I actually had something to do with the dress getting made in the first place -- that he made arrangements for a special photography session, so that I could be the model for the website. They now needed a new men's shirt model, too, so they grabbed Kevin. They didn't redo the catalog pictures partially as a time concern, and partially because they're moving away from the catalog anyway -- virtually all their sales come from the website now.

Here's the unabridged version, in two parts:

The Great Enchanted Tiki Room Dress Story
The Great Enchanted Tiki Room Dress Story Gets Awesomer

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-11 09:07, Tangaroa wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-04-10 19:32, SoccerTiki wrote:

That's because it's not!

Unfortunately they took the catalog photos before Humu got invited to model the dress - too bad!

OK--This calls for a "dress-off" --I mean a dress contest (not taking off the dress!) Someone with the catalog should post the non-Humu and non-Kevin (if that exists) photos along with the the Humu/Kidney pics and we can decide which is better!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 3:17 pm   Permalink

Humu and Kevin would win hands down- I don't see how you could beat those shots!

I awoke last night from a half sleep and remembered in a panic that I had missed the April 7th opening of these items- so I jumped up ran to the computer and was relieved to see the shirt,dress and drummers still on the site. Phwew.. I bought a pair of drummers and used the code posted here (thanks) for a nice discount.

I'm gonna grab the vintage disney shirt for myself as well.. ah its only money.. Visa bill is gonna sting come May

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 3:33 pm   Permalink

Here's a question- was the original (purple) dress the same cut, with the pleating at the bottom? My wife has the other tiki dress (vintage), with the skulls and spears, and she says it was an A-Frame

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 3:41 pm   Permalink

Aw, that's not fair, we're just amateurs! The model they got for the other photo was lovely, and filled the dress out a bit better than I did.

I've seen two styles of the purple dress. One was identical to the one they're selling in green; that's the style I wore to the NFFC conference. Just a week or two ago, someone emailed me with pictures of another vintage style of the dress, which used the same fabric and had the same Disneyland tag, and it was less blousy (more of a shift than an a-line), buttoned up the front, and had two pockets on the front. There are also styles of dresses with a different fabric that is themed to Adventureland generally more than the tiki room specifically.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2006-04-11 5:27 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

OK--This calls for a "dress-off" --I mean a dress contest (not taking off the dress!) Someone with the catalog should post the non-Humu and non-Kevin (if that exists) photos along with the the Humu/Kidney pics and we can decide which is better!!
[/quote]

Ok.....I'm gonna need a few Mai-Tais before the "dress-off"!!!! But thanks HumuHumu for the story....As with most of my tiki items (now the shirt included) it's nice to have a story to tell about each "artifact" whilst drinking with friends in the SoccerTiki Grotto!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 8:34 pm   Permalink

Humu- The dresses could be in any a number of different patterns. One of the ways in which the material was sold was as a package with the label and about 4 yards of material. The material then could be used to make shirts, blouses, dresses and even shorts. I have even seen shirts made that are very bad Western style. Most of the non-commercial items will not have a size tag. I have a two shirts, one in the green pattern and one that is in the purple pattern that are most likely home made. I also have a dress that is a definite sun dress with a short skirt. I have commercial shirts in all four patterns, the green and purple tiki pattern with Jose and in the brown and green headhunter pattern. One of these days I am going to post them on my blog.

[ This Message was edited by: Matterhorn1959 2006-04-11 20:36 ]

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 06:54 am   Permalink

Man - leave it to PJ to know exactly how and when the originals were sold!

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 10:06 am   Permalink

The drummer gods were not available online as of this morning. It could be that they temporarily ran out of stock on them. This happened with the Moonliner lamp - they didn't have any when the on sale date became active, and then they would sporadically have them now and then for the first month, and then they consistently became available.

Or it could be that they're all sold out of 'em, which would be pretty phenomenal for a big ticket item.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 2:42 pm   Permalink

Hello friends,
Just wanted to put in my 2c before it's too late. I just wanted to mention, for anyone who hasn't had a chance to buy any of Kevin and Jody's 50th merchandise, that this is a once in a lifetime oportunity. These items are truly unique in that they were designed by two artists who care about the 50's and 60's very much. Most of their collectibles are based on vintage attractions. Disneyland has had a much-to-long history on being sparce on cool collectibles, especially Enchanted Tiki Room. All their stuff is of amazing quality and great $ value. I have bought most of last years and this years Enchanted Tiki Room items (and some Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jungle Cruise for good measure). They always look better in person. I couldn't believe the detail on some of these items.
The Enchanted Tiki Room "Host" shirts & dresses (Tang, did Hosts ever actually wear these?), and the Tiki God Drummers are MUST own in any Tiki collection. And based on the hoops the creaters had to go through to get these done, I highly doubt we will see similar items such as these ever again. They will sell out fast and only continue to rise in price on eBay. Do yourselves a favor and pick up some of these items. You'll thanks me later.
The clock is ticking, and the items are selling... RUN!
Your friend,
Louis

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-12 14:42, Atomobile wrote:(Tang, did Hosts ever actually wear these?)

Kevin believes yes on the green shirts - he's seen photos of the dress on hostesses, but no photos of the men in the shirts... Still, if there's photographic evidence of the women, I'd say it was a safe bet that the male cast members wore the counterpart...

gwenners
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-13 12:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-12 15:00, Tangaroa wrote:
Still, if there's photographic evidence of the women, I'd say it was a safe bet that the male cast members wore the counterpart...

If memory serves, CMs inside the room were, at that point in time, exclusively female. hence Jose's opening line. This doesn't mean that they didn't have some guys there, too, of course.

...all I know is that I got the shipping confirmation on my dress today.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

View Profile of gwenners Send a personal message to gwenners  Goto the website of gwenners     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation