FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 11:07 pm   Permalink

And I KNOW you know that peoplemover track as well as I do. I'm kind of gleefully glad it's on there, as it's a piece of music that I love to hate.

It was an "old and busted" piece of music when I was a kid, and it continued to make me laugh at the sorry old peoplemover until its dying day.

I am a curmugeonly anti-sentimentalist about Disneyland. I take a certain amount of glee in skewering some of the sacred cows of Disney fandom. (As with all disneyland fans) I am confident in the sureness that Walt would agree with ME, and say that anything past its prime should be ripped out, if there's a better attraction about to replace it.

(..not that anything should be replaced with NOTHING, see Tomorrowland circa 2000.)

But I totally embrace the new. I'm looking forward to the new things rumored to be coming to the parks, and I love that they're ADDING attractions again. I say, keep em coming!

By the same token, I LIKE the old stuff that's gone to Yesterland. It's just that I'm content to visit them in Yesterland, and I don't moan (too loudly) about things that are no longer there.

After all, there IS the CG animated ride-through of ATIS, if you get REALLY needy!

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 12:59 am   Permalink

For some reason, this figurine captures Disney's Tomorrow Land, that I knew and loved.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 10:21 am   Permalink

unga...

yeah, i'm kinda amazed that something that obscure was produced. that kevin kidney guy really pulled the wool over someone's eyes!

the guy who designed that is rolly crump. that cool atmospheric style of 1967 tomorrowland was created mainly by rolly, george mcginnis and john hench. the amazing thing is how simple that style is. it really shows the lack of care the disney management have shown on the "new-new tomorrowland".

i'll take white, geometric spires over cheap, bronze spray paint any day!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki1963 on 2005-05-03 10:22 ]

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-03 10:21, tiki1963 wrote:
unga...

yeah, i'm kinda amazed that something that obscure was produced. that kevin kidney guy really pulled the wool over someone's eyes!

the guy who designed that is rolly crump. that cool atmospheric style of 1967 tomorrowland was created mainly by rolly, george mcginnis and john hench. the amazing thing is how simple that style is. it really shows the lack of care the disney management have shown on the "new-new tomorrowland".

i'll take white, geometric spires over cheap, bronze spray paint any day!

Yeah - I love it. When Kevin & Jody showed me this stuff, they mentioned showing this prototype to Rolly Crump, who promptly said, "But......why????"
Maybe to Rolly it is just an old outdated design - but to me it speaks volumes about what old Tomorrowland once was.... Hopefully with Space Mountain being repainted white again, and the addition of a new "1970s-esque" entry sign, they are getting back on track. Now they just have to put something decent in Innoventions!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 11:39 am   Permalink

BTW, the NEW music track for Space Mountain is wonderful.

Reminds me a bit of the Incredibles, some Forbidden Planet and old Johnny Williams' score for Lost In Space, too.

(The DAYTIME track, that is. Hint, hint.)

Really enjoying my music boxed set this morning.

[ This Message was edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-05-03 11:41 ]

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 11:48 am   Permalink

WOW, what a set.

Listening this morning, there's some REAL gems here. The ENTIRE Golden Horseshoe Revue!??!

Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland recreated as a ride-through sound adventure!!

All 3 Country Bear shows!!?!?

I'm not even mid-way through, and it's really a treasure-trove.

Love that book, too. It'll take awhile to go through that.

My thoughts? An INCREDIBLE bargain for all you get. THIS is the definitive audio history of Disneyland. Hours of stuff to wade though, and a lot of stuff I've never heard before.

The recreation of the Walt Disney album looks great, I'll have to play that too. What a great job they did reproducing that, with a fold out cover. MAN is it a nice set.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-03 11:39, BarkerBird wrote:
Really enjoying my music boxed set this morning.

[ This Message was edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-05-03 11:41 ]

Arrrgh!!!! Still waiting for mine to be shipped......

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 1:47 pm   Permalink

I'm in Tomorrowland (on the album) now.

Great Caroussel of Progress restoration. Fantastic. Hmm... a strange, high-pitched whine in some of the voice tracks and sounds. But still great.

The Monorail Song is great. They should have the ride play that. I can't help but think that the popularity of this album will actually make some of these things change in the park.

I'm reading early reviews of the parade and fireworks show. Sounds like Disneyland REALLY socked it out of the park for the 50th. WOW.

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 3:46 pm   Permalink

whoa! man, i still am waiting on mine. it will prob be another week or two. well, enjoy it!

tandg- that new space mountain sign is awesome! i love dat! tre' cool!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 5:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-03 15:46, tiki1963 wrote:

tandg- that new space mountain sign is awesome!

Wait'll you see the other version!

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 5:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-03 17:33, BarkerBird wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-05-03 15:46, tiki1963 wrote:

tandg- that new space mountain sign is awesome!

Wait'll you see the other version!

what other version?

i like how tomorrowland is turning into Las Venus from the Jetsons...

BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 6:13 pm   Permalink

Rock It Mountain.

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al042605b.htm

BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-04 6:03 pm   Permalink

Here's a question for Tangeroa.

It's meant to be a difficult question, just to make you wriggle a bit!

Knowing you're a super preservationist/nostalgist, here's a little question.

Supposing you were Eisner for a day. Would you put the Barker Bird back up there, with his original corny, borderline racist spiel?

To me, now it's just me maybe, the biggest flaw of the Barker Bird is that he's simply not funny. In the, ahem, accent department, time has not been kind to him and Jose. But that's nothing next to the fact that his patter is one stinker after another (or should I say "steeenker"), with the comic timing of Al Gore.

Just testing you.

I just can't see how he could be a plus for the audience. I think the spielling bird in front of the WDW Pirates is pretty lame too.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-04 6:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:22 ]

BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-04 11:14 pm   Permalink

In a minute!

In fact, I don't know why they haven't done it. It's easy enough with today's technology.

I like your compromise on the Barker Bird. I can see that working.

Glad you're enjoying the boxed set. I haven't been reading the book, but at a casual glance I saw where it said that the Golden Horseshoe Revue visited the Nixon White House in 1980. You don't have to be a Disney expert to spot THAT one!

Editors are a good thing, I guess is the lesson there.

You know, someone at that opening of the Lucky Tiki mentioned that they just did a caberet show in hollywood that was a live tribute to the Enchanted Tiki Room.

Anyone on here involved in that?

As I go through this music set, I'm struck with the notion to mount a production of the Country Bear Jamboree. A kooky idea, to be sure. But a real hoot, for a one-night-only kind of project.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation