FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 5:39 pm   Permalink

Wowwwwww... really cool!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-09 9:51 pm   Permalink

When my package recently arrived from Disney, my eager anticipation wheezed out like the air from discarded bagpipes as I saw the condition and quality of the object inside. Having seen Kevin's prototype and truly admired Rolly Crump's work, I thought it was a great opportunity to get a scale version of the Tomorrowland ticket booth. Those sweeping lines, those strong colors, that... crummy paint job?

Is it me, or is that near post actually bent?

On top of everything else, it seems as though they tossed it in its packaging while the paint was still wet, because the styrofoam pattern is actually molded into the paint, as are the creases from the plastic bag it was partially wrapped in.

I almost hope Kevin and Jody don't see any of the final products, because it must be pretty frustrating to see this kind of low quality. Weird, because some of the Disney collectible stuff is really outstanding quality product from their beautiful work. Let's hope hope hope that the Tiki Room stuff is NOT produced by the same manufacturer!

**UPDATE (posted below too) - Disney Direct provided a replacement free of charge.

-Randy

[ This Message was edited by: aquarj on 2005-06-06 00:09 ]

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 11:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the warning, Randy.

That's why I like to see these collector things before I get them. It's a very wide range of things you're likely to get.

I've seen good items, and I've seen crummy items, and the price never seems to be a good indicator of which is which.

Take, for example, the miniature main St and castle currently sold. That miniature is AMAZING, especially considering the price.

$195.00!!! The best disneyland miniature on the market.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 10:52 am   Permalink

Wow Randy - I am really surprised by that... especially at a price of $60 plus shipping...

Are they going to replace it for you?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 11:44 am   Permalink

even in the catalog photo, the Rocket to the Moon lamp had me think twice about buying it.

the painting and un-even quality of the sculpture looked a little amateur.

hope you get it replaced.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki1963 on 2005-05-10 11:45 ]

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 12:08 pm   Permalink

I would really think that this is an anomaly - I know Kevin & Jody have really high standards... I would bet that this is not the norm for this collection!

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 12:55 pm   Permalink

i'll bet it has nothing to do with them. this looks like a production problem and low quality control standards.

..and Tang, you know that's a slight possibility at the big D these days!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-10 12:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I would really think that this is an anomaly - I know Kevin & Jody have really high standards... I would bet that this is not the norm for this collection!

I'd have to agree, in fact that's why I was surprised, because all of Kevin and Jody's stuff that I've seen in the past has been universally great, both in prototype and in product. Maybe the item I received was a particularly bad case; I'll post hopefully with better news when I get a replacement.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 10:48 am   Permalink

aquarj...

another friend of mine received his ticket booth today and found the same prob. i think this is definitely a production problem and not kevin et al's doing.

he called disney direct and spoke to a supervisor. they assured him that a replacement would be inspected first and then sent out. when you call, be sure to ask for a supervisor...insist on one, because the main operator will only accept the return and not follow through.

good luck

romarchez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-13 4:23 pm   Permalink

My family and I are not only tiki fans, but also Disney fans. So I was really excited to read your post. We make every attempt possible to have the opporunity to vacation at the Grand California every year.

Amazing post! Thank you so much!

p.s... how abou the "people mover"? that was a childhood memory of mines and wish it was still around for my kids.....

pps: although we have a tiki themed kitchen, i did purchase the disney 4 slot toaster for the kids. it's really cool as the slices of bread imprints mickey's face on each slice and mickey's march song is played after toast pops up. gotta love it! each time, never fails, they ask for us to take them back to disneyland after they hear the song.

View Profile of romarchez Send a personal message to romarchez      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-14 8:38 pm   Permalink

GREAT PHOTO DOCS CHRIS!! Do you check your posts?? It's Tom!! Aloha!!!

~~THOR

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-06 12:07 am   Permalink

Just wanted to follow up about the Tomorrowland ticket booth discussed above. Disney was great about replacing it with no shipping charge or anything, and the replacement was definitely an improvement.

-Randy

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 06:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-14 20:38, THOR's wrote:
GREAT PHOTO DOCS CHRIS!! Do you check your posts?? It's Tom!! Aloha!!!

~~THOR

Hey Tom!

Yes - I check my posts, but not as frequently as I used to - so sending me a PM is always good....!

Aloha!

- Chris (Tangaroa)

exny1

Posted: 2005-06-06 8:25 pm   Permalink

hi all, I read all the posts, but I am not sure if I missed the info on the shirt and barker bird, have those gone on sale yet? thanks

Amy

View Profile of exny1 Send a personal message to exny1  Email exny1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-06 20:25, exny1 wrote:
hi all, I read all the posts, but I am not sure if I missed the info on the shirt and barker bird, have those gone on sale yet? thanks

They go on sale July 15th.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation