FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Design Toscano has outdone themselves this time...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Design Toscano has outdone themselves this time...
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 8:52 pm   Permalink

...in pushing the limits of good taste/bad taste through the medium of resin statuary:

In the mailbox today, I found the new catalog, and -somebody PLEASE post that cover!!!-I gasped:

"AN ISLAND WELCOME FROM OUR GARDEN PYGMIES!"
"See our c'IBO-ODO' (a name that shall henceforth live in infamy, ed.), the Garden Pygmy!"
"Your neighbours will hear the rythm of the tribal drums!"

Imagine New Guinea masks, with lil'munchkin bodies, spears in hand...NEVER in the most absurd examples did 50s Polynesian Pop go this far....TOO far if you ask me!

Maybe this text from the catalogue will be more telling:

"The artist's fertile imagination has these delightful, troll-like caricatures, with bright thongs, dimpled cheeks and pudgy 4-fingered hands, standing ready to chuck their spears at trespassers. Our quality designer resin, fully painted home or garden works of art are way more fun than being boiled in oil!"

HA HA...HA...ha...ha

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-29 14:23 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 9:08 pm   Permalink

Got my copy today too. Didn't last a minute in my house. The fraction of a second to get it out of the mailbox, look at the cover, shake my head in disbelief before it landed in the garbage can. I didn't even open the catalog. I am certainly no puritan as far as Tiki goes, and I even like the two resin tiki's they've had available for a few years, but these, these are just sad! This issue would be great for puppy potty pads.

To bad my puppy's already potty trained.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-03-28 21:17 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 9:27 pm   Permalink

Want to see something funny? If you go to the Toscano website http://www.designtoscano.com, you can see a mock-up cover of the catalogue. On the website cover, you see these "Garden Pygmies" Sven is talking about. But I just got the catalogue in the mail today and they went for a different cover with a hideus dragon. They must have figured out how much their design sucks. (BTW, I did purchase their 2 Tiki statues and they are actually very nice). In a way, I'm glad to see such ugly Tiki merchandise being produced. Sure keeps my wallet fuller. The only bummer is that this year Kevin & Jodi are going to empty my wallet (hell, my bank account!) with their Tiki Room merch. Oh well...
Your friend,
Louis

[ This Message was edited by: atomobile on 2005-03-30 10:57 ]

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 11:08 am   Permalink

Gad! That's hideous! I might put the bottle down for good if I ever saw that in somebody's yard.

BTW, did you see the frightening "Surf's Up" surfin' monkey? Looks like he's gonna punch my lights out. Real inviting.

New Arivals

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine on 2005-03-29 11:09 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 11:55 am   Permalink

Gee, I didn't think they were that bad! But then again, as they say "To each his gnome!"

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 12:08 pm   Permalink

I like the thong.

the thing with Design Toscano- They actually have some interesting ideas; it's the realization of those ideas that suck. if those Speedo-clad warriors were devoid of cartoon goodness and looked like a real mask, they might be pretty cool.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 12:09 pm   Permalink

Still waiting for the Zuni fetish doll!

(FWIW, I seem to recall somebody was selling a version online a few year ago...)

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 1:11 pm   Permalink

Thongs and butt dimples...

So wrong...

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 2:16 pm   Permalink

I can not subscribe to their line "Our quality designer resin, fully painted home or garden works of art are way more fun than being boiled in oil!", since to me the cover IS the visual equivalent of being boiled in oil.
The image of the Ibo-Odos by themselves here on this thread is scary, but on the website you can see the full cover with the type on it, it looks like some perverse joke on "Islands Magazine"

Quote:

On 2005-03-29 11:08, SilverLine wrote:

BTW, did you see the frightening "Surf's Up" surfin' monkey?
New Arivals

A real gem! In the catalogue, the text next to it says "Our artist has captured the bohemian spirit for your garden and home!"

Right. Whenever I think of "bohemian spirit", a surfing monkey comes right to mind!

In general, the text in the catalog is really priceless. Here is the copy for their c"Polynesian Warrior" Tiki Wall Sculpture:

"The art of Polynesian Pop is alive and well in this over-two-foot-tall wall sculpture that lends a warrior's cry and natural native instincts to your primitive decor. Heeding the call of the distant drummer, our island survivor was hand-carved, then expertly cast in designer resin for home and garden."

Other scary highlights:
Their "Moai Monoliths" look like they are wearing German WWII Steel Helmets, and, beware Bamboo Ben, the text for their "Thatch Roof Tiki Bar" begins:
"We were truly amazed that this dead-ringer for bamboo and thatch was actually durable PVC..."

Yup, me too. This IS 21st century Poly Pop.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-29 14:17 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-29 14:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
A real gem! In the catalogue, the text next to it says "Our artist has captured the bohemian spirit for your garden and home!"

Pure Tijuana Spirit is more like it! I used to buy those surfing monkey ceramic coin banks from the car-to-car vendors on the Mexican side of the border when I was a kid. The Toscano version is a pretty close copy. Still find them at garage sales every so often.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-29 12:09, Philot wrote:
Still waiting for the Zuni fetish doll!

Link

[edited by hanford to shorten the link]

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-03-30 15:36 ]

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-30 11:31 am   Permalink

Mai Tai, your hyper-long link blew this thread out of proportion, and made it practically unreadable...

Hanford, is there a way to avoid this?

Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-30 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-30 11:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Mai Tai, your hyper-long link blew this thread out of proportion, and made it practically unreadable...

Hanford, is there a way to avoid this?

That's strange, what browser are you using? In Internet Explorer/Avant Browser, the link wraps.

btw Mai Tai, that movie looks completely ridiculous, I think I need to see it

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-30 12:42 pm   Permalink

Use Tiny URL:

tinyurl.com

Here's the link after tiny-fying:

http://tinyurl.com/55lny

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-30 3:10 pm   Permalink

Gnome + thong = wrong!!!!

Not to mention they're in green zebra-print thongs ... oh, the indignity!

Now I have to go wash my eyes out with soap!

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation