[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Infused Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Infused Rum
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-06 2:17 pm   Permalink

Nifty trick, Ace! I've got one of those mini-skillets myself. Never thought of doing a smoke rinse of the glass to get that infused effect. Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-02-06 6:17 pm   Permalink

We had amazing success with Infused Rums during my time at the bar mentioned in my name. The one recipe I can share is a simple one for our most popular infusion: Pineapple-Vanilla Infused rum.
We took Four 750ml bottles of light rum and cut up 5 pineapples into a big jar with the rum. We then took four whole vanilla beans and put a slice lengthwise down each just enough to open them up. Put them in the jar and gently stirred. Covered with plastic wrap. Let sit for two days, stirring once a day. In the morning on day three wed taste it and typically remove the vanilla beans. Stir and let sit for 2-4 more days, tasting and stirring each day. Depending on how sweet the pineapple was varied how long we let it sit. Once ready, we strained it through a fine mesh strainer with coffee filters back into the bottles!
Enjoy!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo

Posted: 2018-02-06 11:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Dixon; this pineapple-vanilla infusion sounds interesting. Was it used for house recipes, substituted in classic recipes, or ever served neat?

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-07 09:09 am   Permalink

Quick question:

Quote:

On 2018-02-06 18:17, DixonAlibi wrote:

We took Four 750ml bottles of light rum and cut up 5 pineapples into a big jar with the rum.

Did that include the outer skin / rind as well?

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-07 09:51 am   Permalink

Smoked glasses? Cool! I'm not sure what sort of "Tiki" drink that would go with but it would make a great Bloody Mary

Here's my "Thai Spiced Infused Rum" in progress. Looks like crap but smells wonderful

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2018-02-07 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-06 23:53, Hamo wrote:
Thanks, Dixon; this pineapple-vanilla infusion sounds interesting. Was it used for house recipes, substituted in classic recipes, or ever served neat?

We had one House Recipe we used it in that we called 'Off The Jetway'. It could be served neat, and actually turned even the cheapest light rum into something nicely palatable.

Off The Jetway
- Muddle 5-6 Lime wedges in a pint glass(we had bigger ice chips, so we'd actually put some ice in as well to break it up)
- Add Ice to top of glass
- 1 1/2 oz of the Pineapple-Vanilla Infused Rum
- Fill with equal parts soda water and Guava-Orange Juice
- Pour all into fresh pint glass.

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-07 2:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the recipe, Dixon! We visited the Alibi last summer on vacation. It truly was like stepping into a time machine back to 1947... except for the Tin Lizzy and Foghat blaring from the speakers. But I guess that's the Alibi, huh?

That Thai infusion looks fantastic, Mike! What's your recipe, if you don't mind sharing?

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2018-02-07 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-07 09:09, HopeChest wrote:
Quick question:

Quote:

On 2018-02-06 18:17, DixonAlibi wrote:

We took Four 750ml bottles of light rum and cut up 5 pineapples into a big jar with the rum.

Did that include the outer skin / rind as well?

We did not, we cut off the outer rind and skin, and cut out the core as well. We would cut the remaining pieces into about 1.5x1.5x0.5in pieces. As we strained, we'd press the pieces a little to get some of the juice/rum absorbed mix out. Didn't want to press too hard for risk of getting something bitter from it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation