FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Frances Langford's Outrigger, Jensen Beach, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Frances Langford's Outrigger, Jensen Beach, FL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 08:25 am   Permalink

I have collected several postcards from the Outrigger Restaurant and Marina.

This card has the best shot of the front of the restaurant building nestled in the palm trees.

Here are some views from the marina side of the building. Just pull the yacht right on up.

This oversized card gives a good perspective on the overall layout.

The matchbook.

Another page from the menu showing the celebs that frequented the place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 8:22 pm   Permalink

Great postcards as always, DC. Yeah, the first one was the one that menu rendering reminded me off. It makes sense that it might have been the inspiration to it, since it was also called "Outrigger".

Clearly a Pre-Tiki place, it looks almost unspectacular (compared to 60s Tiki temples) in its simplicity, but so perfect in its setting, too. I has all that one needs: A grass shack... in a palm grove... by the Ocean!

I wonder if that is Frances' boat, can you read the name on it? I just won an item on e-bay from a seller in Florida who knew the place, his name is Don and he is on Tiki Central, he wrote me this:

"I was there in the 80'S a number of times, and saw her sing once, she was still fantastic. I worked on her yacht "Chanticleer" a couple of times in the 1990's doing electrical work, she was a gracious lady, and a real pleasure to have met. The restaurant was amazing, lots of cool tiki, and that great poly-pop styling."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 9:27 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Cool story from Don about Jensen Beach.

Frances' yacht the Chanticleer was 110 feet long. The one in the postcard is about half that size. Here is a photo of her yacht which is still running in the area.

I also found this add for Don the Beachcombers in Chicago that also happened to have a listing for Frances singing at the Chez Paree - nice combo there. I'm sure she must have frequented DTB's while in town.

It would be great to see some photos of the inside of the Outrigger.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bahama Don
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-20 04:56 am   Permalink

Hi all, I am the Don mentioned above. Thought you guys might be interested in this, which popped up on craigslist. I just noticed it this morning. It is the original bar from the Langford's Outrigger!

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/clt/1220827337.html

This deserves a good home, with a collector.

I am checking around to see if any of the other pieces of the restaurant are still in the area, as I live about 3 miles from the old Outrigger.

View Profile of Bahama Don Send a personal message to Bahama Don      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 06:49 am   Permalink

Hiya Don, thanks for the tip, I will forward it to our Frances Langford scholar Geoff Sundstroem.

Man, that boat looks like a nice place to entertain! I guess when you are married to Mr. Evinrude, you can need to boat in style. What a life: Go on a fishing trip with some friends and then dock at your own Polynesian grass shack for dinner from the catch!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-06-20 06:55 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 12:30 pm   Permalink

MAN,you gotta love those old,classic BURGER yacht's.
and I am pretty sure the Chanticleer was 118' long

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-06-20 12:31 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 1:24 pm   Permalink

Here's a nice January 1964 full page ad

The small text in this ad reads "Aloha... After many trips through the South Pacific during the war years, I grew to love the exotic food and designs of the South Sea Islanders, and dreamed of the day I could have my own Polynesian restaurant. Some twenty years ago in Hollywood, I met Ed Lawrence who designed the original Don the Beachcombers restaurant and other Beachcomber restaurants throughout the world. Now Ed has created the 'Frances Langford Outrigger Restaurant.' My hope is that each of you will enjoy this bit of Polynesian Paradise here in my home state of Florida."

I guess from the size of this ad and the wording of this text, that this was an official announcement type of ad, and that it must have just opened?

Here's another January 1964 ad

And I also found a small article about the Prince of Tonga visiting

The article stated that the Prince "was most enthusiastic about the Evinrude's grounds and home and the Polynesian restaurant."

I didn't realize that this property started as just the private home of Langford, and originally consisted of 200 acres of citrus grove, home, a few rental cottages and small boat basin. Once they built the restaurant, they also had a private "Polynesian Hut" where cocktails were served before they went over to the restaurant.

And here is another November 1964 ad

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 2:58 pm   Permalink

Tiki David,

You were right (sort of). Turns out Frances had TWO Chanticleers. The first was a 118-foot Defoe that came with husband Envinrude. She got the second, a 108-foot Burger, in 1973. Both very nice!

Mo-Eye,

Great ads as usual. Can you find the missing Don the Beachcombers for me? I don't know how to use that time machine yet.

Internet research indicates that the Outrigger restaurant opened in 1961, so the 1964 ad would not have been a grand opening deal.

DC

Bahama Don
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-20 3:59 pm   Permalink

Actually, one of the Evinrude children still owns Frances's house, near the old Outrigger. I have had contact with her (Sheri Evinrude), through a local maritime museum that I do some work for. If I ever get a chance, I will ask and see if there is still any Tiki in the family.

I think her yacht is still on the family as well. I do miss passing it on the waterway, as Frances always kept it at the restaurant, even after she sold the property. I always enjoyed seeing her sitting on the back deck, dressed to kill, with a tall cool cocktail in hand...... I think that is a fitting way to remember her!

View Profile of Bahama Don Send a personal message to Bahama Don      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 6:11 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the correction, DC. I'll let you know if I find any Don stuff.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 11:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-20 13:24, Mo-Eye wrote:
....Some twenty years ago in Hollywood, I met Ed Lawrence who designed the original Don the Beachcombers restaurant and other Beachcomber restaurants throughout the world. Now Ed has created the 'Frances Langford Outrigger Restaurant.'....

Wonder what Ed Lawrence's story really is...

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 4:46 pm   Permalink

I recently acquired a few more items from The Outrigger.

A nice postcard showing the entrance.

A matchbook that I have not seen before.

DC

Bahama Don
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-22 5:37 pm   Permalink

In case anyone is interested, I noticed that there is a different photo of the Outrigger, showing the earlier Evinrude Yacht the 118ft Chanticleer, which Ralph owned when they were married. This photo is on the back of the record album "Frances Langford in Vietnam". I also noticed this record was produced by Outrigger Records, so I assume it was her personal record label? I would upload the photo, but my scanner croaked.

painter

Posted: 2009-07-23 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-20 04:56, Bahama Don wrote:
Hi all, I am the Don mentioned above. Thought you guys might be interested in this, which popped up on craigslist. I just noticed it this morning. It is the original bar from the Langford's Outrigger!

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/clt/1220827337.html

This deserves a good home, with a collector.

I am checking around to see if any of the other pieces of the restaurant are still in the area, as I live about 3 miles from the old Outrigger.

i have a pice of that bar top i sand blasted all of the wood in side of the bar when fred bought it he ownes couk e joes to

View Profile of painter Send a personal message to painter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 6:49 pm   Permalink

Anyone care to hear Frances singing hapa haole tunes on her old Decca 78s?

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2009-07-24 18:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-02-26 01:04 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation